Forums > Social Chat > Meteor Showers in Australia

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
awakenSILVER Member
The Evil Pixie (apparently)
716 posts

Posted:
Knowing my current luck, there is a thread already in existence about this... which my search missed... (let me know...)

For all those who love shooting stars...

THIS WEEKEND .....

Saturday to be particular, there is a Perseids meteor shower. Look to the northeast, with the best veiwing in the hours before dawn.

Perseids are said to be a fairly prolific shower orginating from the Perseid cloud and happening every year starting from about mid July (peak activity on August 12th) They are called Perseids because they appear to be coming from the constellation of Perseus, and produce about 60 meteors a hour. The full moon will unfortunately dull out the stars.. but I saw an absolute beauty of a shooting star last weekend, despite the light sky.

I havent found a very good website to keep an eye on the happenings in the sky.. I'm just trying to gather information from all over the place. I will try to keep this thread updated.. for there are some even more prolific showers coming up.. and a partial lunar eclipse. So maybe we can share information here.....

rock hopping, hop-scotching, pippy pocky stocking - Sureau - wink thanks Jen! biggrin

Ry: I can't hear you. I'm listening to The Spice Girls.

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
I saw a couple shooting stars over the top of the movie screen @ the drive-in last weekend... I forgot to ask if anyone else saw them...

thx, pip... I'll try keep an eye out for this...

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
mmm stargazing!

will check it out miss ubbrollsmile

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Pat, gita and paul saw them...and i might have if i wasn't sleeping in the backseat!

but i am certainly going to check out thee showers!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
YAAYYYY!!! I'd never seen a "shooting star" before... I was so excited... and then I forgot to share it... spank

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I have watched this shower before with Dev Kev when he was in australia. It was amazing...I think all up we saw 17 'shooting stars' awesome times. smile biggrin

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

awakenSILVER Member
716 posts

Posted:
Gah! Ryan just accidently deleted the post I was almost finished!!! spank

tch tch tch...

So anyway, as I was saying.... for those of you who didnt make it out to see the stars last night.... I envy you're nice un-interupted sleep.

We drove up to Mount Nebo lateish last night. Saw a couple of frogmouth owls, a lot of bats, a crazy man wandering the bush with something behind his back, a bandicoot, a weird fox-dingo thing (or maybe it was just a dog) some batty bird looking things. We got kinda lost, and almost ran out of petrol. Froze our titties off, and eventually saw 3 meteors in the hour + we were there.

They were kinda cool....

There's some more dates coming up soon that I shall enter soon.

rock hopping, hop-scotching, pippy pocky stocking - Sureau - wink thanks Jen! biggrin

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
sounds love-ly pip... except maybe the crazy man bit... eek

keep those of us that were "stuck in front of a pc, sick as a dog, working", posted...? smile

nice work, ry-an... tongue

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yup.

August is great for Meteors.

And to think, it's really just Earth backing through the same general clump of space garbage every time it hits this point in it's revolution.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
last night my mate had a party and although it was in the city we dont get much haze and there were very few clouds. i didnt see any asteroids but there was this awesome ring with the moon exactly in the middle of it. it kinda looked like a ring of clouds, but you could tell it wasnt cause it didnt move off center in relation to the position of the moon. i dont know what its called but apparently its something to do with the ozone and happens very rarely, it was pretty cool.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
never heard of it, majestik, but also sounds lovely... I gotta spend more time looking @ the night sky...

in fact... the last time I sat and stared @ the night sky I wrote a song... start to finish... I really gotta spend more time looking @ the night sky ubbangel

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
We try to catch all the big storms if the weather is good. The perseids were supposed to be peaking last night in U.K. and we were out anyway so had a look. Saw about a dozen, but they were REALLY bright big ones, which made up for the fact that there weren't that many smile

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
mmm what Pip says.

3 shooting stars.. and they were pretty zippy. Would probably have been a bit better if the moon wasn't so full.

But! I saw my first bandicoot! ubblove

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
oh yes! after walking home from the party i saw a possum, in the city! in a tree! but when i sat down to watch him he didnt move, so i left him stuck in a tree. silly possum.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i was going to go out and look but it was totaly clouded over and chucking it down with rain and high winds...........so i thought me will stay in my nice warm bed biggrin

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
meteor showers this time of year are gorgeous in Canada too...Last night was one of the best of my life! Wow.

We went to a local lake, and had a picnic in the middle of the night, out on the dock all snuggled up in duvets, watching the shower... made wishes after wishes, singing star songs.Heaven.

Then once the spectacular silver moon rose past the trees enough to make it a bit too light to appreciate the meteors

( though some you could actually see the reflected falls in the lake surface!) , we went for an amazing skinny dip swim. The water was so warm and silky, and you could just float on your back and watch the sky. Got out, invigorated, wrapped up in the blankets again, and had some hot tea and chocolate. Bliss.

One of the many many things that made it so amazing, was that we had put my friends child to sleep early, then woke her up specially for this experience. She is just five, and had never seen a falling star for real, never skinny dipped, so the whole thing just blew her mind.Laughter carried all across the water... We were like five year olds all three of us, contagous excitement!

Perfect!!!!!!

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

7,193 posts

Posted:
DON'T look at the metior shower, you'll go blind and not be able to see the triffids coming to get you

ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnn awayyyyyyyyyyyyyy ubblol

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
they're triffods man. triffods. umm

7,193 posts

Posted:
*scratches head*confused i always thought it was "day of the triffids" not triffods...............i could be wrong

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
I didn't even get the chance to try and see anything,, blooming low clouds over my way since friday,, still there now frown

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

Sunnygirlmember
121 posts

Posted:
I went out at 4:30am saturday morning and saw nothing, then decided to lie in my backyard and saw 8 over 2 nights! They were beautiful!

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ravehead

*scratches head*confused i always thought it was "day of the triffids" not triffods...............i could be wrong

oh noes! i was wrong! my life is falling apart! eek

awakenSILVER Member
716 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mr Majestik

oh yes! after walking home from the party i saw a possum, in the city! in a tree! but when i sat down to watch him he didnt move, so i left him stuck in a tree. silly possum.

ubblol Majestik, this is the 'shooting stars' thread not the 'possum spotting' thread ubblol but actually, I dont mind hosting your possum spotting here.

By the way, I heard from a Pine Rivers Shire local that there ARE wild dingo's in the area! We saw a dingo! a dingo!

hmmm i see here I have 'PARTIAL LUNAR ECLIPSE' scrawled in my diary for September, Thursday 7th..

awaiting confirmation and details..

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
Awaken:
7 Sep 2006 - Partial Lunar Eclipse
(Saros 118, umbral mag. 0.190, max. eclipse 18:51 UT
partial: 18:05:03 UT to 19:37:41 UT)
A very slender partial lunar eclipse will be visible over Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australasia. With a magnitude of just 0.190, the partial phase won't be very easy to see; but the shading caused by the penumbral phase should be visible to careful observers.

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: awaken

Written by: Mr Majestik

ubblol Majestik, this is the 'shooting stars' thread not the 'possum spotting' thread ubblol but actually, I dont mind hosting your possum spotting here.

By the way, I heard from a Pine Rivers Shire local that there ARE wild dingo's in the area! We saw a dingo! a dingo!

hmmm i see here I have 'PARTIAL LUNAR ECLIPSE' scrawled in my diary for September, Thursday 7th..
awaiting confirmation and details..

but but but, it was a possum, in a tree! in the CITEE!!!

Lunadogmember
62 posts

Posted:
Was the possum called blossom? It would be nice if it was. It'd be a bit like the snake called jake or the eel called neil or the aardvark called...I don't what he was called actually

awakenSILVER Member
716 posts

Posted:
Thanks Firetramp. So, do you think its worth getting out of bed for? Sounds like it will be just like a normal moon thats not quite full yet.

Mr Majestik.. you should check out Brisbane.. the possums are evvvveryywhere - people have started catching them and serving them up in restaurants now.

The aardvarks name was mark.. ubblol

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
There's heaps of dingos at Mt Neebs, and lots of mongrel mixtures too. We ran across a whole pack running down the road one trippy night...literally running... they were upwind of us and didn't realise we were coming... we scared them as much as they scared us and they scarpered into the bush...! Normally thought they are good things to keep away from...

And possums bloody everywhere in Brisbane.. make yr life a misery banging across the roofs and peeing in yr ceilings. BWe had a psycho possum used to come into our house.. half its face chewed off.. augh. Found him on my BED one night!!!
Abd you know whats weierd about Europe.... hardly any birds!! I've seen about 10 the whole time I've been here and most of them were seagulls who for some inexplicable reason were in the middle of Germany?!?

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

awakenSILVER Member
716 posts

Posted:
Ahhhh ! crazy stories Gabe!

I missed meeting you before you nicked off oversea's, although I've now met all your lovely daughter and all your housemates, taken 'le grande tour de chataux de l'gabe (for pete's sake someone help me with my french pro-nouns) AND heard so much about you...

Cant wait to meet you when you get back. Will probably do plenty of catching up at Common Ground!

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Do you guys get the amazing phosphurescence (sp? Someone please help me with words like that!!) in the ocean there? The glowing algae?

I thought the night with the meteor shower was the all time most incredible night ever for me.... But last night was even more so!

I dove in the ocean in the middle of the night, in a quiet private bay, and it looked like a meteor shower all around my body! I was covered in trails of water stars! Every move I made left a path of galaxies whirling around me. It was utterly breathtaking. For a while I floated, and watched stars above, bathed in a magic flowing glow...

I got out,freezing but exhilarated,, and spent a while dropping cookies into the water to see the fish flicker up and get them, in these waves of sparkles ...

Woke up with bits of the ocean still in my hair, and the kiss of starlight on my skin...
Bliss

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
phosphorescence? not that I've ever seen... in fact, outside of dreams and/or hallucinations, I've never heard of anything like it... tongue

where is this magical place, andrea?

Page: