Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I was conversing with a friend about these, how people can wiggle their ears, raise only one of their eyebrows-or otherwise move them independently, fold or roll their tongues (some can even get it into a "w" shape), bend only the first knuckle on their fingers while keeping all the rest straight, flare their nostrils, etc.

What we noticed is that usually people who can do one, can do all. I also know that these are genetic traits and not learned (bio 101 covered that).

Which ones, if any, can you do? What can you do that I forgot to list?
I can't do the "w" with the tongue, but I can roll my tongue into a tube and twist it upside down. (no naughty comments about tongue tricks here guys! ) And I can do the other ones I mentioned.

Then there are things that you figure out...like I can flip quarters on my stomach doing bellyrolls. I used to make money off my (much)older sisters friends doing it when I was little (they gave me the quarter and I got to keep it). It's come in handy for Bellydance, one less thing I had to learn. I copied a lady on tv doing it and my sisters thought it was a great party trick.

I saw a guy fit himself through a plastic hanger once. Still haven't figured out why.

And, if you have a silly people trick...my burning question is this...how the heck did you find out you had it in the first place????

[ 18. February 2003, 11:40: Message edited by: Pele ]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Ivan Newton can wiggle his ears without moving his eyebrows. A pretty impressive trick

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I girl at school who is fairly skinny can force her stomache out so it looks like she is pregnent (like exactly like she is pregnent, it's a crazy huge bulge)

I can't really do anything besides make my jaw do a horrible cracking sound. I know if my dentist knew about it she would want to do surgery on my jaw and then wire it shut for some ungodly amount of time.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I have a really cool party trick!

I get this long stick, dunk the ends in fuel, light it up and swing it around for a while! People seem to love it.

Ummm, but seriously: I can roll my tongue, turn it upside down, flare my nostrils (cracks my friends up sometimes when I flare intime with music), bend the first knuckle of my fingers whilst the other joints stay straight, ummmmmm raise my left eyebrow, do the "live long and prosper" hand thing, I can regurgitate my food without sticking my fingers down my throat and I can also mentally project ideas and information on to some people!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

brainstormaBRONZE Member
old hand
1,184 posts

Posted:
i am pritty much double jointed through my whole body so i can do a lot of contortion stuff

i can pop my right sholder in and out

can flick my arms while holding onto a cloth from my back over my head to the front

put both my legs behind my head

there are a few others i can do but there a but on the xxx adults only line so i'll leave them out

oh i have an ability to pick things up realy fast (like on first go a lot of the time (the grubsta is still giving me hell for being able to walk on stilts on my first go))

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, and screaming "WOO-HOO What a ride!"

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
o yeah - I'm really talented with my feet too. Am an expert at changing the channel on the TV (via remote and directly with the tv) with my toes, can untie my shoe laces with my feet, can grab pens and anything else I am too lazy to bend down and pick up... I've tried writing with my feet and it's legible!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
That explains alot about Newton Rozi! LOL

Aster, the jaw popping thing is actually a condition with your socket. It's called TMJ. I have it too. Actually, alot of people have it.

FF, until you said the feet thing, it sounded like you were talking about me! LOL

There is a belly dancer who is so thin when she sucks in and wiggles her stomach muscles around she can almost touch her spine with her belly button. It is REALLY gross! Then she pushes it out like aster's school mate!

Brainstorma...ever thought about doing fire and contortion?

This is funny. I like it!

Pele

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
I can pull me ears through my ear lobes.

how can i do this? i have one and a half inch holes in them! how did i find out i can do this? : i just did it one day.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
PK - can you please provide me with a link to a picture of you. You sound fascinating.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I can move one eyebrow at a time. This is not supposed to be possible because the nerves to the upper half of the face are supposed to cross in the brain and thus, each side of the brain controls both eyebrows and so they can only move together. But mine go up one at a time. And I use that in everyday conversation and nobody comments on it.

I can very slightly wiggle my ears, but nobody believes me. I know I can because I can do it in the mirror.

I can fold my tongue into a U. Can't flip it over or make the cloverleaf. Haven't figured out the genetics behind that one.

I cannot do the trick with bending only the last digits in the finger (I don't know how that's possible, either, based on the anatomy, but I've seen it)

I can flare my nostrils, but so can everyone. Just not consciously.

When I was younger, I could put both feet behind my head.

I can voluntarily speed or slow my heart by 10 beats per minute from resting.

And I can eat large amounts of chocolate without complaining!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
that reminds me - I can dilate my pupils upon demand. It's great when someone is trying to have a serious conversation with me but I keep fooling around with my eyes to distract them. hehee.

and I can slow/speed my heart also.

ok, I'll stop talking about myself now.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
apart from the 'normal' silly things I can do , I can use my feet to light a lighter

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
I can make a tube out of my tongue. I can also turn it over both ways, but thats a seperate thing.

I can move my tongue up and down or side to side, VERY fast.

I can make my tongue wide and fat or long and thin.

I can raise each eyebrow independantly. The better trick is when I do one after the other they do a wave motion that freaks many people out.

I can wiggle my left ear, but have difficulty with the right one for some reason.

I can move the left and right sides of my scalp independantly.

Twist my lips up a la Donald O'Conner.

Both of my thumbs used to be double-jointed, but now only the left one is.

Those are the ones that come to mind offhand..

Raph

AalatheaGOLD Member
80 posts

Posted:
i also can wiggle my ears and raise one eyebrow. and i have hitchhikers thumbs. and i can whistle by putting my tongue against the roof of my mouth. it sounds something like a robin on speed.
i like it, it confuses people.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Without use of my other hand or any form of opposing force I can bend my fingers backwards in a 45 degree angle. PWB and I just were talking about it. I thought everyone could. *shrug*
I have the hitch hiker thumb, and can put my feet behind my head (but we won't talk how I figured that out ).

Mike G. I never knew you weren't supposed to be able to move your eyebrows independently. Neato!

Did you also know that not everyone has the aptitude to whistle? No matter how many times I have tried to teach a friend, it is not there.

In Bellydance there is alot of training that goes into moving certain muscle groups independently from one another, and the body parts associated. The one that I find people have the most trouble with, but get the most weirded out by is a head slide, especially those that are far reaching. PWB loves to see it but gets wierded out by it!

Pele

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Ok...The following things I can do all at the same time...but it hurts my head to do it!

1. Wiggle my ears
2. Waggle my eyebrows
3. Roll my eyes in their sockets independently of each other.
4. Flare and unflare my nostrils
5. Roll my tongue
6. Bend my elbows on a horrible looking angle
7. Cross all four of my fingers (in pairs) on each hand.
8. Cross my big toe and the toe next to it (both feet)
9. and finally ... Hop on one foot as well.

In addition to the above, but not at the same time

10. Fold my ears three times into themselves
11. Crack most of my fingers on command, including my thumb, without using the other hand.
12. Crack my middle finger with the other hand, so loud it makes some people scream
13. Knarl my hands and arms up so it looks like i am experiencing rigor mortis.
14. Do the vulcan greeting thing (pretty easy)
15. Desperately try to think of something else but realise everyone else has gone to sleep...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I can make myself look like an idiot at the drop of a hat That's about it really, no party tricks. Apart from the idiot thing

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
I'm a natural at making myself look short.....and I'll go with Doms one about looking like an idiot....

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
at dom

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
and happy birthday and at smallboy

[ 18. February 2003, 22:14: Message edited by: glass ]

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
I can:

* Fold my tounge
* Roll my tounge
* Fold my fingers over each other
* Flare and unflare my nostrils
* Pass cottom through my nose and back out my mouth
* Raise my left eye brow
* Do the vulcan greeting thing
* Take a drag on a Cig/Spliff and blow the smoke out of my right ear hole
* Pick up things with my feet/toes

Thats all i can think of off hand.
*BTW, your so weird*!!!!
LOL
Taking it easy
Trippy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone.
N.E.W.B. Agent #012
"I Got Soul"
Non-Https Image Link

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
I can grow one of my eyebrows as long as I like
Seriously. You see I got pretty badly burnt in a petrol fire when I was a lad (10 years old). As you can imagine, this meant years of skin grafts and differnt reconstructive surgery. One of the improvements the plastic surgeon thought of was grafting a chunk of skin with hair (from my head) as an eyebrow. As a result the hair on that eyebrow is still effectively normal hair... so it grows at the rate of my hair If I didnt cut it I could grow an eybrow dread.

So much fire, so little body hair...

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
I can wiggle my ears, roll my tongue, raise one eyebrow independant of the other, bend my first knuckle and flare my nostrils.

My mom can touch her tongue to her nose but also do something that I've never seen anyone else do. She can fold her tongue parallel to her lips (in the same direction, opposite to rolling it) and then stick it out while keeping it folded, not using any other means but her muscles.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I can do the string up the nose out the mouth thing although I haven't done it in a long time. Maybe I should see if I can do it with a tube balloon because there are a bunch of little tricks you can do with one (although they aren't really that fresh as everyone has seen it before)

I can blow air out of my tear ducts. I was thinking I could probably learn to spray milk and other liquids out if I wanted to.

If I have a straw and a drink I can blow a endless stream of bubbles for probably aslong as I want. Unfortunatly I can't yet get enough air pressure to circle breath and play my didgeridoo.

I can't whistle no matter how much I try. Unless you count an annoying high pitched single tone I can make by blowing air between the hole between my teeth (maybe I should learn to circle breath with this whistleing sound so I can really annoy people with it)

I used to be able to make an insanely loud and high pitched screaming sound but puberty kind of ruined it. I think I can still do it but it really messes up my voice for awhile so I haven't tried in a long time.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Astar:
I can blow air out of my tear ducts. I was thinking I could probably learn to spray milk and other liquids out if I wanted to.

i can do this one too i can't get a spray going but i know you can use it to cry milk tears:

i have to hold my nose to do it though and as a warning, beer tears really do hurt quite a lot.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by glass:
and happy birthday and
Dom is it your birthday??????

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
My my aren't we a bunch of strangly talented people?? All of this AND we spin fire (or glows) too?? tee hee hee..

Well i can do the tongue rollie thing and the eyebrows and ears.. at different degrees of wiggliness.. but I can twist my fingers back on them selves so for example.. my left hand - pick up little finger and rest nail in gap between knuckles on little finger and ring finger.. pick up ring finger and twist finger so nail rests in knuckles between ring finger and middle finger.. pick up middle finger.. blah blah index finger rests in gap between thumb and index and thumb is picked up and twisted the other way so it rests on the knuckle on my index finger... I can do that on both hands.. but it's really painfull to do the index fingers on both hands so I normally just leave that one straight... looks strange enough as it is...

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I have tried forcing the finger stuff and it seems like it's my skin not my bones that stops me from doing it. Or maybe it's the tendons. When I try to contort my fingers into absurd angles my skin gets so tight and starts burning because it's been stretched so far.

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
I too can do most of the stuff talked about above.Like making the joints in my fingers of both hands bend at odd angles(kinda looks like somebody broke each joint in my fingers).I can also do contortionist(sp) stuff...pull both legs behind my head, stand on both my hands and put my legs up on my shoulders and walk for alil ways before i fall over onto my face ...i can stand up straight then bend over backwards more than 90 degrees while doing fire poi! I have a way of popping my back...friends either think its kewl or sickening.I also can do the tongue rolly thing, pick stuff up with my toes, and I can do both eyebrow raising thing...Dio gets a kick outa it.It's a me thing and he always jokes by saying 'Put that eyebrow down' whenever I would purposely put it up. I do have one more talent...I can make the muscles in my stomach move around to where it looks like I've got an alien in my stomach...the muscles in my stomach resemble a "T" shape.I've only seen one other girl do it.Well that's about all I can remember for now...I do have more but I'm not gonna bore yall by goin on and on about em.LOL! Happy listing!

Can any of yall do or seen this stuff done?

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
Anyone else thinking "video thread please?"

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

SaBBaSenthusiast
215 posts

Posted:
ooooh yes dio... i just need to see some of the things you tell.... they sound soooo cool

i can wiggle my ears, am working on doing it one at a time, am working on moving my eyebrows independantly and learned to flare my nostrils... and yes, i do have a lot of free time...

Don't you destroy your enemy by making him your friend?? - Rev Bem (Magog), Andromeda

Page: