Forums > Social Discussion > Airport Security Tightens, UK 10/08/06

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
For those who don't know, or intend on flying out from the UK today...

16 men were arrested in connection with suspected terrorist activities today. The plan as such, to blow up explosives in the hand luggage midflight. Due to that, nearly every UK airport is on max security. Queues, for check-in and going through security gates galour. Also, changes to whats allowed in hand luggage has changed, and only the following items are allowed:

Written by: BTI UK Travel Alert

UK AIRPORTS BAGGAGE POLICY

Bulletin issued by BTI UK Travel Alert Service:

09.05 – 10 August 2006

Please be advised of the following development(s) that may impact your travel program:

Further to today’s national security alert at UK airports, the Department for Transport (DoT) has issued additional security measures. With immediate effect, the following arrangements apply to all passengers starting their journey at a UK airport and to those transferring between flights at a UK airport.

All cabin baggage must be processed as hold baggage and carried in the hold of passenger aircraft departing UK airports.

Passengers may take through the airport security search point, in a single (ideally transparent) plastic carrier bag, only the following items. Nothing may be carried in pockets:

-pocketsize wallets and pocket size purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards, identity cards etc (not handbags));

-travel documents essential for the journey (for example passports and travel tickets);

-prescription medicines and medical items sufficient and essential for the flight (eg diabetic kit), except in liquid form unless verified as authentic.

-spectacles and sunglasses, without cases.

-contact lens holders, without bottles of solution.

-for those travelling with an infant: baby food, milk (the contents of each bottle must be tasted by the accompanying passenger) and sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight (nappies, wipes, creams and nappy disposal bags).

-female sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight, if unboxed (eg tampons, pads, towels and wipes).

-tissues (unboxed) and/or handkerchiefs

-keys (but no electrical key fobs)

All passengers must be hand searched, and their footwear and all the items they are carrying must be x-ray screened.

Pushchairs and walking aids must be x-ray screened, and only airport-provided wheelchairs may pass through the screening point.

In addition to the above, all passengers boarding flights to the USA and all the items they are carrying, including those acquired after the central screening point, must be subjected to a secondary search at the boarding gate. Any liquids discovered must be removed from the passenger.

There are no changes to current hold baggage security measures.

Regrettably, significant delays at airports are inevitable. Passengers are being asked to allow themselves plenty of extra time and to ensure that other than the few permitted items listed above; all their belongings are placed in their hold baggage and checked in.

Thoughts anyone?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Until further notice BA has halted all flights from the UK.

BA announced "I aint getting on no god damn plane you crazy fool"

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Right. Thats a bit scary.

And I also have a problem with these regulations. No books? No paper? Ok, I guess they're trying to get rid of pens? What are all these bored people going to do with their time? But really, whats wrong with a paperback book? I don't know if I could survive a flight to australia with no entertainment options that don't involve electronics....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Well im glad that these actions have been taken, ide rather see very tight security for air travel than little or none at all. I hope these changes stay permament.

And yeah ide much rather sail than fly from now on, feck flying I aint getting blown up mid air ide rather have an extra days travel on a boat, at least then you can relax on the journey.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Gremlin_Loumember
131 posts

Posted:
Books have been banned because of the following scenario.

You are reading your paperback book, plotting and scheming, when the lovely blonde air-hostess comes and offers you a nice cup of iced tea. At which point you throw your plan into action, jump up and give her a nasty papercut on her arm.

Due to health and safety regualtion, the air-hostess must now come off duty until such time as her arm has returned to a state fit for her to return to work. While the other air-hostesses are giving her first aid, you jump up, grab the trolley and use it as a battering ram to break into the cockpit.

Thus allowing you to take control (I mean, lets be fair, a weedy pilot vs an experienced firespinner, not going to be much competition) and take the plane wherever you want to.

smile

'If your deeds shouldn't be known, perhaps they shouldn't be done, if your words shouldn't be shared, perhaps they shouldn't be spoken. Act with attention, for all your acts have consequences" (Rabbi Judah HaNassi)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Kyrian

Right. Thats a bit scary.

And I also have a problem with these regulations. No books? No paper? Ok, I guess they're trying to get rid of pens? What are all these bored people going to do with their time? But really, whats wrong with a paperback book? I don't know if I could survive a flight to australia with no entertainment options that don't involve electronics....

I think the logic is that security is completely overloaded so people aren't allowed to bring anything that would need checking. If you can't bring ANYTHING on board then you don't need to screen anything and all security can be focusing on checking what people have on them. Millions of people saying "but it's just a..." takes time and manpower to check and confirm.

That's my guess at least.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
This may be a stupid question, but I am wondering what the colour coded security levels are actually supposed to communicate to the public?

Are there a set of corresponding lists of how the public is expected to change their behaviour on the basis of that information-- actions they can take or avoid to make things better, safer, easier or more secure? If so, does the public know this?

Or are you just supposed to worry more when the colours change? Stay at home?

Do we even have this in Canada? I will have to check. I dont have a single clue what I would do if the radio said we were on code red or something. We once had a tsunami warning last year, and no one on the island had the slightest idea how we were supposed to respond. I hope the colour coded system is better thought through.

Glad I am at home for a while, where these things seem far less relevant... but best wishes toall those facing the challenges as they travel!
xoxo
a

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
 Written by: andrealee

This may be a stupid question, but I am wondering what the colour coded security levels are actually supposed to communicate to the public?

Not a stupid question at all, I've been wondering that for years!

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Gremlin_Lou

Books have been banned because of the following scenario.

You are reading your paperback book, plotting and scheming, when the lovely blonde air-hostess comes and offers you a nice cup of iced tea. At which point you throw your plan into action, jump up and give her a nasty papercut on her arm.

Due to health and safety regualtion, the air-hostess must now come off duty until such time as her arm has returned to a state fit for her to return to work. While the other air-hostesses are giving her first aid, you jump up, grab the trolley and use it as a battering ram to break into the cockpit.

Thus allowing you to take control (I mean, lets be fair, a weedy pilot vs an experienced firespinner, not going to be much competition) and take the plane wherever you want to.

smile

ubblol yeah, reckon that's it, dangerous book readers.

Apparently if you take baby milk on (for a baby obviously) they want to see mothers drink some of it first...? I hope that since they're not letting people take liquids onto the planes then they will also be providing free bottles of water...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
I think all flights should have us naked and only jello provided for both amusement and sustenance... No luggage, you arrive in the new counrty nude and sticky as a new born...

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
ubblol if only...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well, gee, why allow flights at all? I mean if it's this serious, then I say shut down everything. Not only flights, but public transport, stop all roads, nobody can move anywhere or carry anything or even be excused to the bathroom.

I'm sorry, but am I the only person who thinks that all this extra "security" is a bit extreme? The plot was uncovered by intelligence, not by security searches. If we fall into this sort of thing every time the terrorists go "boo!" then they don't even need to blow up anything to accomplish their goals.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
uh oh, jello is a "gel", so I guess it is banned... Nakedness without jello not nearly as fun... sigh. These restrictions are a real bummer.

I wonder what the security searches *do* reveal; it may not be a relevant precaution to this situation, but has it been to others? I should think so, but who really knows.

Ironically, I have been robbed during a security search in LA... It did nothing to make me confident they have the right people doing the job, never mind that if it is a job actually needing doing!

Someone on the news was saying " where there is a will, there is a way-- We can not control all the ways-- can we influence the will?"

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

The MI5 site clearly explains it.

As does the local news every time it changes.

I think it's more important for other groups to be aware of. Govenment buildings and transit workers and such should probably be more aware of what it actually implies and would take different steps depending on the level. Might even help stock market investors if they knew that a terrorist plot was more of a possibility.

I do not think it makes any different for Kyrian or Andrea and can easily be ignored.

biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Pretty clearly explained here. If you're not flying, it doesn't concern you.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:
my collegue flew in to gatwick this evening with only a 2 hour delay from lithuania today so not all planes were halted

mainly outward planes have been halted some are still coming in.

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Tx NYC!!
Scary site.

You are right, it is not super relevant to me!

But I do think in general I need to buff up my emergency kit and plan, so I will do that, more likely going to be an earthquake that gets me though.

I wonder how many citizens listening to the alerts have taken any action that would actually make anyone safer?

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

No liquids or gels of any kind will be permitted in carry-on baggage. Items must be in checked baggage.
Exception: baby formula, breast milk, or juice if a baby or small child is traveling; prescription medicine, insulin and essential other non-prescription medicines.

sorry i just have to say - how the hell do you restrict breastmilk!??! isnt that a bit too obvious to put in the 'exceptions' column?

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

addict
667 posts

Posted:
breast milk can be in bottles
i dont think someones going to whipp there boob out in a plane and feed some poeple prefer privacy and there for will express milk into a bottle

enter the love realm...
insert ur token

stepped up promotions

KittyKillenthusiast
365 posts

Posted:
....can't blame them for doing this...to a point any way
EDITED_BY: KittyKill (1155405290)

Have you ever notice that poi is spelled backwords on the key board.............................................creepycool

artindorilmember
117 posts

Posted:
Ok, according to the bbc this morning you are allowed to purchase replacements from duty free and take those on. Appart from bottled liquids and toothpaste (the toothpaste one only applies to flights destined for the USA).

So if you want a book to read then I guess you'll just have to get it from the departure lounge rather than the high street.

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

I'm sorry, but am I the only person who thinks that all this extra "security" is a bit extreme?

But I do so loved getting frisked at the airport!! To the point where me and a mate used to deliberately have something metallic when we walk through the big detectors things.... to get frisked at everyturn...

Ahhhh frisking is fun ubblove

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:

Written by: NYC

Pretty clearly explained here. If you're not flying, it doesn't concern you.

that's the very link i posted on the first page of this thread rolleyes

i guess finding stuff out destroys that good old feeling of bliss wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
The UK lost it's color coded system 11 days ago

This is what it used to be

This is what it is now

I note that in the new system the UK is at the top level of alert: Critical

whereas I beleive that the old top level, Red, was never actually implemented in the UK. Even during the July 7 bombings in London the alert status stayed at Amber. Red was kept for an actual outbreak of war\severe and imminent danger of attack.

The new system was apparently developed after "calls for greater transparency".

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I'm still wondering, just in case the policies still apply next week, how to "identify my liquid medicines as authentic"? I could take the original box to show them, but that doesn't mean I couldn't have taken out the insulin and refilled it with liquid explosives, does it. After all the bottles are made to be punched through by needles. confused

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
do you have a prescription slip birgit?

and does the original packaging have your name on it?

apprarently, you need a label for your medicine with your name on it, that matches the name on your ticket...

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
nah, you don't get to keep the prescription slips, they keep them at the pharmacy. The box should have a label though. So I guess that means I have to take along all the empty, nicely folded boxes? There's 2 types of insulin, test strips, lancets and 2 types of needles ubblol

Thanks Cole hug

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
This occurred to me when I was hanging out the washing today, I remembered its been mentioned a few times in this thread that the terrorists have succeeded in causing chaos and what not.

Can we not give them the oxigen of publicity like that? They didn't win, we did. We stopped it from happening. All this 'chaos' and disruption is insignificant, its material loss in the grand scheme of things its not important, no one got hurt thats the only important thing.

Can we not muster up a little British determinism, we've survived the likes of the Kaiser and Hitler, we cant let a few insane zealots get the better of us.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

addict
667 posts

Posted:
it hasnt been 100% stopped yet though has it so high security is on the alert

thats just it we will never know exctly what they are planning and for when so no one wins till it stops!!!

as for medicines get a doctors note saying you are a diabetic and you have insulin from your doctor to be on the safe side

i had to take a doctors note to a festival that had metal detectors to say i had metal pins in my knee. shrug

enter the love realm...
insert ur token

stepped up promotions

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Brit_Joe

Can we not muster up a little British determinism, we've survived the likes of the Kaiser and Hitler, we cant let a few insane zealots get the better of us.

There was also the IRA bombing campaign, for a slightly closer example.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

Well, gee, why allow flights at all? I mean if it's this serious, then I say shut down everything. Not only flights, but public transport, stop all roads, nobody can move anywhere or carry anything or even be excused to the bathroom.

I'm sorry, but am I the only person who thinks that all this extra "security" is a bit extreme? The plot was uncovered by intelligence, not by security searches. If we fall into this sort of thing every time the terrorists go "boo!" then they don't even need to blow up anything to accomplish their goals.

the major goal was quite obviously to commit mass murder.

by failing to blow any planes packed with people up, the terrorists have catagorically failed to accomplish that goal mike.

your idea of liberty seems to be an idealistic one.

i am all for the protection of liberty but in times such as these, i feel a certain amount of pragmatism is called for.

yes, the intelligence services stopped this plot - but have you considered what that means, what a massive intelligence operation like that involves...?

i am confused at why are you not outraged at the massive invasion of privacy that must have been committed by the intelligence services to track and prevent an attack of this magnitude?

without full knowledge of the facts, how can you proclaim that the security measures in place at uk airports are 'extreme' or 'draconian'?

they may seem that way and they may even be so - no more than a showing of force as a reaction to a major threat - but we don't know that.

for all we know one of the people in custody may have told the police "we still have people with bombs that will carry out the plan" - or not even that, maybe the police are just smart enough to know that that is a distinct possibility.

if security checks were left as normal at airports, how big an outcry would there be if the attack did then go ahead?

if the people in charge of our safety just assumed that they had caught everyone involved and that the threat is totally over i would argue that as conceited complacency of the highest order.

we are at the highest threat level ever in peacetime - the increased passenger transparency and risk prevention measures at international airports is a direct reflection of that.

if the threat level drops and we continue to have lines of police with guns at airports and hand searches of every air passenger, i'll stand next to you and shout about the impingement on our freedoms.

for now, i agree with the measures and am glad there are people making sure we don't get blown up when we go off on holiday...

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Page: ...