Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > poi and staff (together) doubles

Login/Join to Participate

Tonicnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
alrighty, so in our troupe we do quite a few poi doubles, but recently Ive been looking to change things up. My goal is to get some sweet staff/poi doubles moves (where one person is spinning staff and the other poi). So far Ive come up with two (one Ive done with fire and was pretty sweet).

so the first, (the one Ive done with fire) is just simply, us facing eachother. the staffer does a rotor behind my back and I do a butterfly behind theirs. switching it up as seen fit at the time. this looks pretty neat, and works well if the staffer can do an over the head rotor to get out of the move.

The other idea is to be both facing the same direction. Poi person kneeling in front and doing wraps around the staffers waist and the staffer doing any move that doesnt hit the poi person in the head.

Two, however is not enough! Especially not ones this bland.... So does anyone have any other ideas?

EDITED_BY: Tonic (1155172760)

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
What part of southern Oregon you in? You with the Ashland crew? There's a troupe (er, well a duo with guests) called Phoenix Rising (from California) that spun at the FaerieWorlds Festival weekend before last that has some nice poi/staff routines (FW was in Veneta). But my memory sucks so I can't describe em so I'm useless to ya :P, but if any of your crew happened to see it... Personally I'd say work less with spinning and more with manipulation. That's probably where I would (or will, actually) take it. Isolations and various other mindfunk items, for example.

Ahwell, I really need to travel south and play with some of the fire spinners down there. Sorry for the uselessness of my post.

Peace,
- Sui

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

Tonicnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Nah that's ok. And yes Im in Higher Fire Science. Probably wouldnt recognize me though, If your who I think you are..... anyways. Those staff spinners rocked! but it was all staff/staff that night.. and sadly it was cancelled that saturday cause' jordan broke himself...

But as you said, maybe some isolation stuff could work. Ill try that today before the show. Which you should come to!