Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Did anybody participate? Sadly it wasn't well promoted in my area so I missed out.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
was in the london march.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
nothing organized here..

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Yup. Best day my life. 100,000 people showed marched in Dublin, in what was the largest political march in 20-30 years.

We showed up with poi and drummers galore and marched at the head of the march and it was joyous. Before we departed me and a friend climbed up 12 feet onto the side of a building and played poi to the big drums (2 steel ones they put oil in beaten with sticks as well as 2 big "normal" drums - really loud) down below in front of a couple thousand people, while everyone was cheering.

We played poi down all the bigest streets and when it got dark we did fire with the big drummers and the rigs that people had brought out massive 300 watts amps in trolleys and the likes.

All in all in was a great day, everyone was in a great mood and the buzz was one of unity and strength. Standing there listening to the speakers while there was people all over the world doing the same thing in hundreds of cities truely makes me believe that we, the people WILL be heard. We can and will make a difference. It was really emotional screaming slogans together with 100,000 people all wanting so much to make our voices heard.

I saw a side of people I haven't seen in a long time. I think the world may have changed a little yesterday, it certainly has in my mind anyway. I hope I'm right because that would be very exciting......

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
sounds pretty kewl day there in dublin.

KaliBRONZE Member
577 posts

Posted:
I went on the march from Alexanderplatz through the Brandenberger Tor and then spun poi in this little leafy area in the park along Unter den Linden. They had some really wonderful speakers and the Puddy's (sp? - everyone's favorite east German rock band from the 80s) played. It was great, but really frigging cold! I didn't notice till I started walking again that my ass was literally numb.

Beauty is the conscious sum of all our perversions.-Salvador DaliHope without action is hopeless.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Rumor has it, DeepSoulSheep was representin' the poi community quite well.

I wasn't one of the 500,000 in Midtown Manhattan (Dang near shut town the whole east side!) but I was downtown handing out buttons to repent for not being there.

I'm uncomfortable getting political in areas that I'm unfamiliar with (like foreign policy) and usually "pick my battles" to be those associated with eduation and children. But after doing all my research and reading everything I could I finally put my foot down and said: "Nope, I don't support this war."

It will be extra-fun when the terrorist strikes start again. It does bother me that a few minority of Americans were against the war solely because they don't want to die in a terrorist attack. That seems to suggest that terrorism works which is a scary concept.

And people are avoiding New York because it's a potential target. Trust me kids, if you're coming to New York City, we've got LOTS more popular ways to kill ya than international terrorists. Try a hotdog!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Idamonstermember
4 posts

Posted:
howaye,

was in Dublin for the march, brought my poi but too many people, not enough space... then i got hungry.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Yea, there was room once we got mooding cause the front of the march kept stopping to stick together, leaving us a gap for a few minutes to play. We only lit up after people started leaving.

Idamonster, don't spose that was you on top of the phone box with the ribbons?

Hey NYC, yea twas a joyous day and fun was had by all.

Dr.NoodleHeadBRONZE Member
170 posts

Posted:
Had a super fun time in London

It was definitely the biggest demo I've EVER been on and also probably the most laid back and trouble-free. It was simply amazing to see so many people from totally different backgrounds all marching (well, shuffling) side by side and totally gridlocking the city centre.

Huge thanks to all the drummers who got us dancing and kept us warm, and a mammoth hug to everyone to took the time to put together the costumes and placards/banners that made us laugh. Wish I could remember more of them....

Not in my name
Don't pick on poodles
Blair - don't be a twat
Shave your pubes - say no to bush
Arms are for hugging, not war
Grannies against the war
Peace is groovy - war is pants
Make tea/cakes/love not war

Peace on y'all

Fish are just like trees except they move and they're invisible

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
sydney went off

saturday's reclaim the streets was fabulous - a walk from the Hyde Park War Memorial to the Hyde Park Barracks - with hours of dancing on the street.

sunday's march attracted between 250,000 and half a million people - it was amazing to be a part of something so huge.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
*Ponders if the spitting on soldiers and hate mongering of the men and women who were treated like shit after the confilict in Vietnam started out as peacefull protests*

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
I saw a lot of great banners over the weekend, but I think the standout one for me was:

fight plaque not iraq

ade

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.NoodleHead:
Had a super fun time in London

It was definitely the biggest demo I've EVER been on and also probably the most laid back and trouble-free. It was simply amazing to see so many people from totally different backgrounds all marching (well, shuffling) side by side and totally gridlocking the city centre.

:

yeah i had a wicked time in london too.
But what bugged me was why so many people all ranting on about peace and standing together, couldnt take away their rubbish?
i ducked out of the march as it got to parliment and took my gurl to the aquarium as she has never been to one before, when we came back out the streets had cleared of the march and there was nothing but crap all accross the streets as far as you could see. i felt so sorry for the street workers clearing up, maybe we all fought for world peace, but with all the banners and poles and bits of wood every where, looked like another rain forest been cut down, i'd sooner have them goto war and take sadam out that have our worlds natural resources destroyed.
where is all this rubbish going to goto? will it all be recycled? who knows.
i know it was all in good intentions.

Idamonstermember
4 posts

Posted:
Deepsoulsheep,

howaye, wasn't me on the phone box or on the first floor windows of the Gate theatre! too wary of falling off... am a bit chicken still with the poi as i'm only at it just over a month!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
That was me and my friend Aoife on top of the gate theatre. There was very little space up there and I spent most of my time trying to undo tangles. It was a bit of a buzz though cause of all the people there.

Mail me if you wanna meet up and play with us (help get rid of the that chickenness )

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Yep I was in the London march. It was great meeing people from so different backgrounds who had come together for such a good cause

Thanks to the people that hepled hold me up when I had a wee too much brandy

And thanks for the warm hugs and orgasmic head massage

BamBam

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
I set off Marching from Royal Festival Hall at 12.30, it was a very tired me that made it there at about 4pm!

With many 'special' coffee and smoke breaks along the way

Would you believe I bumped into my flatmate at the March!
Well shake me down and sprinle me with fairy dust!

Did not see any poi till Hyde Park though and bt then my first priority was food!!

The Clapham gathering was a bit of a non event. I came, could not move my fingers and toes and left soon after apple strudel was proposed. Nice to see the diehards there and PK - please tell the lovely Nancy it was lovely talking to her.

My fave slogans were the 'make tea not war' and also 'you don't need war for a kettle to boil'

The eccentricity of the English - love it

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Kat:
The Clapham gathering was a bit of a non event. I came, could not move my fingers and toes and left soon after apple strudel was proposed.
bugger, i completely missed you kat. i'm guessing you were at the first gathering rather than the second? i can tell you it only got colder

i'd like to add to the list of favourite slogans the crass but clever 'fighting for peace is like f***ing for virginity' and the highly appropriate 'sell some whistles - make money, not war'. loved the guy with the poodle too though!

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Ayyayyay!

Typical Coleman! I was dog tired and my fingers and toes felt like icepops! With all the hot coffee gone, and too cold to take off my jacket and spin fire we decided to split!

Till March 8th so!

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

vaperloc...the mightylook @my member
466 posts

Posted:
WOO I was at the dallas tx march it was my first socially concios activity,I even got to lead the march with a few of my freinds.

There are no obstacles only challenges.
Very funny scotty now beam down my pants.
[colour."green"}What would willie do?

AHH theres too many wee leprechauns i cannae squash them all