Forums > Social Chat > who's the clown with the black hat? he's teaching the wrong methods.

Login/Join to Participate

yachelnewbie
2 posts

Posted:
about the staff lessons on the site.....
there used to be a girl who was juggling in videos of nice staff tricks, and i cant see the them anymore. instead they put this guy in a clown suit, and he's teaching how to spin with half spins, instead of one and a half spins, he's showing how spin between the fingers, if you take staff lessons in tailand and the teacher sees you even put the staff between your fingers.... he will hit you with his bamboo stick on the hand..... very un-profesional. i think the site should bring back the old videos of the cool girl.... she showed how to cross the hands in the right way.....
drop the clown......

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
yeah, k pro umm

perhaps you should send your request or at least ask for an explanation to Malcolm. i personally have no idea what you're on about wink

good luck

mjk.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
I agree... hitting a student with a stick is VERY unprofessional. wink

Finger spinning methods are as valid as hand spinning, it's a personal preference thing, and can increase the number of spins you can do with one hand. (disclaimer: a 'proper' staffer might want to correct me, lowly poi-lover that I am smile)

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i do finger spins to get more spins on each hand.

perhaps the thai teacher was teaching staff fighting or something. its all personal preference, whatever works for you is the best way.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
if the "teacher" was so strict as to strike a student i would assume it was because he was teaching staff as a fighting technique and not as a past time wink

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
YOU ARE SPINNING THE STAFF IN AN UNAPPROVED AND INCORRECT FASHION AND, AS IS THE CUSTOM IN THAILAND, YOU WILL BE SUMMARILY EXECUTED FORTHWITH

ubblol

are you just meg in disguise...? wink

the person on the free lesson clips would be charles but there are still old clips available - look:

Non-Https Image Link

there's more than one way to spin a stick and its good to know that there are other teachers that approach the skill differently.

chill and embrace diversity - if everyone span like everyone else, the world would be a very boring place.

drop the superiority...

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Yeah! wow

Hit the fingerspinners with a stick!

i'm so into that! Where do i sign?

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
you will find the petition on the petition stand.

its on a clipboard next to the clipboard for the petition to "kill all staffers that can't do contact cos they must be rubbish so they might as well give up already or prepare to be dispensed with tout de suite" wink

i'm mainly against fingerspins too but there's a lot of stuff that you can do if you get good at them.

for a start you can do triplespins (or more) without looking like you're trying to turn your shoulder inside out...

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
 Written by: cole

you can do triplespins (or more) without looking like you're trying to turn your shoulder inside out...

exactly! mad
goddam cheats!!! mad2

Hit em with a stick! that's what i say! that'll learn em! i fought in the war y'know!

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I don't really do much staffage but I want to hit people with sticks too. And I mean both (hitting people) (with sticks) and hitting (people with sticks). Can I? biggrin

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Yachal, - first post, and a very negative one too
Also no introduction thread, and this was posted in the wrong forum.

That's not how things are done around here.THis is HOP, it a very positive and supporting community.

Also it would have been nice to have posted a link: here's what I guess you meant https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/teach.php/4_11_30
That aint a clown, thats a performer.

Yep the online tutorials no HOP are not perfect.
But they're a good start, for beginners and they contribute a lot more to the community than you just did.

Fortunately HOP always give people a 2nd chance...
So do you want to try to make your point again, in a way that doesn't read like a 13 year old who's got something to prove?

Fingerspin if you want to, or not.

Cheers
Drew smile

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Charles rocks! smile Even if he is a clown! wink

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: coleman

are you just meg in disguise...? wink

cole. x

g'damn! First strugz thinks I'm chronofracture, and now you think I'm this b$st&rd newbie!

I've never been anybody else, (apart from Orange from Vodka and Orange...) and I couldn't get Strugz to tell me of the people he knew were pretending to be other people! ARHG!

If I'm going to talk horrendous bigotted arrogant negative utter crap, I'm going to do it under my own name, not hide behind a noob one. I think I've demonstrated that enough in my time here surely? Or I can talk more crap if y'all want...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
Glass are you sure your not a moderator in disguise?? wink

well said though, there are no rules!
"Fingerspin if you want to, or not."

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

Or I can talk more crap if y'all want...

Oh, alright, go ahead then hug

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
*sniffing for trollage*

Yeah, sounds like it to me.

For the sake of non however,

The guy in the hat is, as mentioned, Charles. He has been a professional staff spinner for years, but of a non-combative form.

There are several forms of stick spinning and stick dances which include finger spinning as an integral part of them.
There are some forms of martial art that I have seen that do as well.

Thai variations, while lovely, are just that, variations. There is much more to the world than Thailand and there is much more to staff spinning than Thai form.

It's a matter of opening your mind and understanding that it is a very big world with alot of diversity that will help you to understand HoP.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

*sniffing for trollage*

Yeah, sounds like it to me.

you can hear with your nose?! eek

does that mean you can you smell with your eyes, cos i reckon that would be rubbish... tongue wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Loki_the_tricksterSILVER Member
Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol ubblol rolleyes ubblol ubblol ubblol

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

yachelnewbie
2 posts

Posted:
i would like to apoligize first of all... i didnt mean to hurt any ones feelings, i just found it abit wierd to see those lessons....
you are all right... and any one can do whatever makes him feel good, i just wrote an opinion, i didnt think so many people will react.
any way, im gonna be more open minded in the future, and mabye make some video lessons of my own....
thanks for the support people.....
keep it up...

a tai staff spinner......