Forums > Social Chat > 1st Big Fire Show Since Accident

Login/Join to Participate

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
My old promoter from the Camel Cigarette Company got ahold of me and has hired me to do the Pleasures Parties again. So, this coming Sat night I am going to do my first real, large fire show since my accident.
I know I can do it, I think.
I am very excited and REALLY nervous.
I will not be performing beyond what I feel I can do, or beyond what I think my body can handle. I most likely won't be fire breathing as my lungs are not ready for that yet.
Still...I am nervous. I don't have thoughts about what if I can't entertain at all. It is more what if my body won't work that night? What if I get too worn out? What if, what if, what if....and it is all about my body failing. Grrr..

Anyway, I wanted to share my excitement and fear. And isn't it strange that after years of doing this I still feel this way at each performance? (though this one is a tad bit different! )

Love to all...be well!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
I understand your nerves, it's only natural after what happened to you. Sometimes the what ifs that go through your head can drive you mad if you let them although the worrying about something is usually much much worse than the actual event.

Good luck with the performance, though you won't need it Congratulations for having the courage to re-establish yourself as a performer after all that happened. I will be thinking of you on the day.

and respect.

Are we nearly there yet?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Break a leg!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Good luck Sweetie!

Hugs and support!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
Don't burn your face off in a horrendously sickening display of burning human flesh and extreme physical suffering.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Babe, you will do just fine.

Practice beforehand, if you are really nervous, see if you can come up with "saves" for any more dramatic moves (like an ice skater turning a pirouette into a single turn). You're body will know what to do, but your mind is going to keep on interrupting it.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
Good luck! If you think of your nerves as a system of getting the best performance out of you you'll blow them away.

Agnimember
28 posts

Posted:
You'll do just fine.

The amazing thing about fire performances is that you're truly amazing when doing the simplest things.

Just keep that in mind

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
good luck

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Pele:

I know I can do it

We do too
Knock 'em dead

Incidentaly, are you ever planning to fire breathe again? I'm just curious because if I was in the same situation, I don't think I'd be able to bring myself to do it again.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
My spider sense tells me it's going to be great.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Mr Potato Headmember
8 posts

Posted:
hey,
hope im not dredging up painful memories, but i was just curious to know what happened to u Pele (the accident)??
also how did the performance go?

I was so poor growing up ... if I wasn't a boy ...I'd have nothing to play with. --Rodney Dangerfield Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant, and she fell on me. Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny. --Jack Handey Deep Thoughts

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Hey Pele, best of luck to you with the performance, though I doubt you will need it.

Have you been practicing much lately? Are you able to do all the moves you were before, even if you can't do the breathing?

I'm certain you will do great. Big hugs to you.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Mr. Potato Head...I suffered a fire breathing accident that left me hospitalized for 5 weeks and out of action for many more. If you want all the details, there are some old threads you can find in the search function.

Thank you everyone for all your help and support. Body memory has allowed me to be able to do many of the moves I could before, and I think visualization helped me figure out some new ones. I have been practicing (admittedly not as much as I should though) but I still am worried about getting up there and not being as fluid as before.

The other thing, and I was talking with PWB about this is....I love to firebreathe. It was what I was best at and the thing that really got me into the whole fire scene in the first place. I will be there wanting to give the best show I can, knowing that fire breathing has always been a key element for me, with all the tools within arms reach...the temptation will be beyond difficult.
*Le Sigh*
I have to work on my costume and make up design this week too.

I can not thank you all enough for the help.
The show is the 22nd...this coming Sat. I'll definately let you all know how it goes.

Pele

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
Pele have you considered vegetable oil instead of kero/paraffin? Smaller flame but much much safer

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by NickC:
Don't burn your face off in a horrendously sickening display of burning human flesh and extreme physical suffering.
Thats it NickC, You put her nerves at ease!!!!

Good luck Pele, we're all rooting for ya!!!!!!!
LOL
Taking it easy
Trippy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone.
N.E.W.B. Agent #012
"I Got Soul"
Non-Https Image Link

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Dio...Please do not fool yourself. Veggie oil, peanut oil, alcohol...just because these things are ingestible does not make them safe to fire breathe with. They are still prone to blowbacks and if inhaled with render the same effect on the lungs as the fuel did with me. The respiratory therapist said if I had have done this with milk, I would've still been in the hospital. Water absorbs into the lung tissue, and so is the only real "safe" substance to moderately inhale (as a mist, inhaling liquid will just drown you! ).
The only thing the veggie oils and such are good for is that they are less toxic/carcinogenic, however, I know fire breathers who have been doing this decades and they are not filled with cancer (and several of them smoke cigarettes too). The toxicity is known to me, but not a concern.
Thank you for the caring but I feel it is important for you to understand that there is NO SAFE FUEL when fire breathing, simply because fire breathing is not safe. I completely discourage anyone from every trying it.
In all my years of fire performing I have never fooled myself into thinking anything I do is perfectly safe, ever.

Thank you to everyone, really! I appreciate it more than you could ever know!

[ 18. February 2003, 06:24: Message edited by: Pele ]

Pele

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Im not the biggest fan of coleman/naptholine/whitegas for poi because it transfers so quick and a spark can light a fuel can on fire but maybe if you use that and don't have any kero on site you won't have the temptation to fire breath. Since I have a feeling your not crazy enough to use whitegas.

Also I know I got in this discussion with you before and I admit you pretty much completly destroyed me . But I think what dio is saying is not that veggie oil is safe. He is saying it is not as dangerous as kero. The amount of how much safer it is is up for debate. Wouldn't you admit that kero is considerably safer then using gasoline? Maybe veggie oil is only a little safer but it is safer. I think it's just important to realize it should be treated exactly like kerosene because the same risks exist, just to a lesser extent.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Thanks Aster. To be honest I had thought of it myself. It is an indoor show so I would have to use white gas indoors anyway, simply because it comes with less smoke. My dipping/fueling area is in a locked back room so the whole spark thing is a non-issue. And I do alot of trailing, eating tricks that require white gas as well...so I have been trying to think of a reason why I would bring lamp oil, and I really don't have one. I just really want to fire breathe I think, so your are completely right that I don't have to have it there. Also, I am not sure what this bar looks like inside (I have to do the inspection yet) so I am not sure that it will even be allowable...but the urge is there, soooo strong. And it feels like it won't seem like a complete show for me without it, if that makes sense?
You are right though. Thanks for confirming what I already knew and didn't want to accept.

And we won't get started on the fuel danger issue again, aye? LOL

Pele

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I understand why you really want to do it, im not trying to discourage you im just pointing out options. You definatly have the experience under your belt for the fire breathing. I guess the only issue is your lung capacity and all the psychological stuff. Judgeing by the size of the fireballs you said you could do in other threads I think there is a likely hood even now your lung capacity is better then a lot of fire breathers.

Celestemember
48 posts

Posted:
I think that you preforming again is a wonderful thing. I wish you all the luck imaginable...don't worry your body will remember everything, and I have the feeling that once you get started you will feel more at ease. I hate to use cliches but if you fall off the horse you have to get right back on.

Life is serious, but art is fun!

jaidendawnmember
38 posts

Posted:
Fire fae surround you and lift you up. You will spin in light forever more.

~~Every Object, Every Being, Is A Jar Full Of Delight...~~

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
How went it gorgeous ? (oh, wait ... what day is it in USA ? what tie ? what is my name again /????)
ANYWAY...
I love you and I know you fire goddess are going to kick ass as always

SHINE ON, gorgeous

I you
Cass

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"