Forums > Social Discussion > Should the death penalty ban include animals?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
buggleberry_fairySILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
We've banned the death penalty in the United Kingdom, but what about the animal kingdom?

I think that it is totally unfair that a dog has to be put to sleep if it has bitten a person. Obviously it depends on the situation, but legally - no matter what the situation, the dog will still be put down.

I was bit by a dog when i was two, the dog got put down, but had already bitten before. Since then i've somehow become to love dogs and want to work with them in the future. They are amazing creatures - friendly, domesticated, sweet and six-sensing companions.

Today, outside greggs, a dog was left outside the shop, when all of a sudden there was a cry and i heared a lady who'd come in asking for a bowl of water. Yes utter shock and the whole of everyones attention would turn to the crying child who is going through terrible pain of course, and i wouldnt wish it on anyone...but she's not going to die from it. Me, i got a paper stitch and was fine, just left a scar - if hers was deeper then it would just be stitched and obviously also leave a scar. Whereas the dog, reunited with its owner who would have to be questioned by the police, would now be facing a dealth penalty. How about looking it at the dogs point of view:

Owner leaves dog on lead outside greggs to get a bit of food, and joins the queue. Whilst outside, the dog, feeling lonely (i've seen dogs wimper and cry out for their owners when left alone) will also be feeling defenceless and more alert and anxious than usual. A happy little girl sitting on her buggy is pushed towards the queue of greggs (which is now outside the shop) near the dog. Obviously the childs instinct would be 'aww cute dog, i want to stroke him' so she would, this may be too much for the dog as its feeling escapeless and children arent that good at patting animals softly, so that dog, out of the only defence it has left, gives the child a little nip to warn her off, except the little nip intended from the frightened dog hurt her and she had to be taken by ambulance to the hopsital to be sorted out.

Surely, from self defence if the dog is a friendly and caring dog, it should not be put down. At most, the owner could be sued, have to take the dog to behavioural classes and wear a muzzle. The bite isnt going the kill the child, so the dog should NOT be put down.

Also, on this subject - what about the parent or guardian that was pushing the buggy? If i had a child, i wouldnt push them near to a strange dog, so the child should have been no where near it in the first place.

I'd like to know your views on this as i'm feeling very strongly about it today.

I would also like to propose the idea that instead of it just being law that the dog has to be put down, the concequence should depend on the situation and seriousness of the injury, as well as the views of the people involved - just like when an unconscious woman had her face bitten by her dog in order for her to be awakened - she didnt want her dog to be put to sleep - he had saved her life and had to pay for it with his - how is that justice?

EDITED_BY: buggleberry_fairy (1154720331)

"Be the change you want to see in the world"

buggleberry_fairySILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
very funny dream, but slightly going over the top and away from the topic there. its hard to equalise things as you have to draw many lines...not just one. for example if your taking any animal killing any animal then the whole of the animal kingdom would have to become vegetarian..which couldnt happen so extinction would happen instead...and then it would lead onto 'will somebody pleeeeeease think of the plants?'

also there is no way to completely cut out the possibility of a cat ripping you to shreds, or a bird pecking you all the way to hospital...so we cannot say that only dogs can be a threat and so thats why they are the ones to be put down.

so back onto the original question, i agree with firetom - we cannot condemn these animals because we do not know all about them.

"Be the change you want to see in the world"

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
This is one of the few times I will support the ASPCA when it comes to their euthanization policy. For all of their incoming dogs, before they can be placed with anyone, they need to pass a test of their behaviour.

However, except at specific "no-kill" shelters, animals have the possibility of either being adopted or put down simply because they weren't popular enough to go home with a happy family. How do we rationalize that while we ponder putting animals down for biting someone? It's such a waste of good, loving pets who's only fault was to hit a bad spot in life, either by getting lost, being owned by irresponsible people, or being born in an overpopulating feral group.

This is I end up with the strangest little zoo. I have two cats (Misty, adopted at 1, now 8 and Barry, adopted at 7, now getting on 8) and a ball python (Harley, who was already a beauty of an adult sized boy when I got him). All of my animals are adopted. When I know my schedule settles down more and I can give it the time I need to retrain it, I'd like to adopt an ex-racehorse.

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
I say we should have a doggy prison for those nasty bitey doggeh's... complete with Doggeh guards/warden. It'll be a small doggeh worrrrrrrrrrrrrrld. smile

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
What about the Indian/ Asian way? Let them roam the streets, whatever...

People would certainly drive more cautious on the roads...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

yes, I have to say that you are right Joe, but then it's only about: "as long as it can't hurt US it can do whatever..." IF a dog kills a sheep, or poultry, it has to get killed because is may be a potential threat to man.

Actually I think its more to do with, if a dog kills a lamb or a another dog or something, it becomes a danger to those animals, so allowing it to become ferral would be too cruel.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
I have personally executed many types of creatures, mostly for the crimes of theft, assault, trespassing, and public nuisance.
Word has spread, and now mice, rats, mosquitos, ticks, flies, and various other creatures flee when they see me comming. I rule my kingdom with an iron fist.

Being slow and tasty will also get you the death penalty. Mmmmm.

Page: