fireinspiredBRONZE Member
26 posts

Posted:
hi, im completely new to fire spinning, i was introduced to it by my sisters boyfriend last week and am now very interested in it. just wonderin if anyone had any advice on wot kind of staff to purchase first, i was thinkin i want to get a proper one straight away so im practisin with the right weight and all that, but obviously i wudnt be lighting it. also, just wonderin if ppl had any general advice on the best ways to teach urself. thanks.
olly.

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
Ok, firstly welcome to HoP hug

You've come at a bad time for newbies, but thats another matter ubblol

Secondly, I don't know how much help I can be, as I don't do staff, I'm a poi boi myself, but I'll do my best.

The length of your staff depends on what you want to do with it. I've heard ( i think ) that up to shoulder height is a good height to play with... so about 5foot or so. You may want to double check.

As for teaching yourself, the internet is a wealth of information, and I'd recommend looking here:

God in Human form

It dont get much better than that.

Check out the "staff moves" forum for more hints and tips, and a place to add all your staffy questions. smile

Lastly, I might suggest you use the search function within HoP, as it allows you to easily find the wealth of information already stored here (and saves on multiple same subject threads). Its located as one of the choices in the community tab up top.

Hope that Helps biggrin

hug

26 posts

Posted:
wow, first reply, special feelings. thankyou for ur help. seem to not be able to view any hop videos, i think its cos i hav a mac.....any suggestions? why's it a bad time at the moment, cos of that thing in turkey?

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
no, because a group of people from another forum all joined HoP specifically to antagonise and incite cruelty and foster anger, but they were n00bs and got busted.

it means we're wary of n00bs now.

but anyway, welcome to HoP, if you cant watch the videos maybe you could go to the [Old link] section and find some people near you that are willing to teach smile

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Asena

God in Human form

ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

Yeah it does!

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

26 posts

Posted:
well, u'll be happy to know that i am most deffinately not a n00b... at least not to my knowledge. ill check the meet others section out, thanks.

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

Written by: Asena

God in Human form

ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

Yeah it does!

redface It does?!?

Your performance at PLAY was wikid! And I havent seen any better staff learning websites... but then, I haven't been looking for them! ubbangel

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
then next play will blow your mind.

I'm already almost at the point of being embarrassed at that routine.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
eek Really?

I've improved [censored] all from PLAY, well, apart from the contact Ed taught me...

I've progressed no where near enough as much as I wanted to tho... :shame:

say_cheeseSILVER Member
Brown
288 posts

Posted:
We Are Not Worthy!

We Are Not Worthy!

*hides behind a tree*

Official Nutella Fan Club

Go Nutella!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
almost, I certainly have a lot of ideas for a new one with obviously more hardcoreness.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
go meg wink I've had a thought to enhance a move you taught me at play... well srtugz "taught" it to me but I couldn't do it. you showed me and I could.... maybe I was just better when I saw you biggrin

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
well are you just going to keep your thoughts to yourself?

mophandlenewbie
2 posts

Posted:
hi, just starting out on fire staff's too, im partnering with olly tbh

im not exactly a n00b with staffs as i have been doing it without fire for as long as i can remember (the vid on my myspace is a good demo actualy, its not fire, but its good www.myspace.com/mophandle )

but as yet i have not learned any contact or throw moves and the lessons on this site are not useful to me, any good sites or events to pick those up?
EDITED_BY: mophandle (1154720334)

--------------------------------------------------------------

what has, is and can be happening
will, is and has been already happening
before you can do anything

SunnySammySILVER Member
Watching the Sky
453 posts

Posted:
@ mophandle: mes afraid your myspace is private!

@ fireinspired: Hi ive been on HoP for a while now but im a noob at staff. I got an extremely cheap single staffy from a market stall in bath for £7! so check your market out these guys go everywhere! as for the learning mcp definatly has the best stuff and believe me... Ive looked everywhere!

Ooh ooh and Hi! wave

sunny
I jumped into the river, what did i see?
Black-eyed angels swam with me. wink

jackyneoSILVER Member
48 posts

Posted:
i think just have to keep trying and don't give up..

26 posts

Posted:
wow, this thread went off on sumwhat of a tangent (is that how its spelt?) cheers for the advice. However, that website mcp gave dusnt seem to be working, non of the hyperlink url's work. maybe its temporary, ill try again later. thanks again.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
yeah, I accidentally broke it. Sorry bout that. Should be working again now.

https://mcp.tepookatoys.com

mophandlenewbie
2 posts

Posted:
the myspace link should work now, my mum has been at sidmouth foak festival this week and has picked me up a firestaff at a stall there guess the pricetag, £55!! at that price i expect it to be made out of gold or something

--------------------------------------------------------------

what has, is and can be happening
will, is and has been already happening
before you can do anything

26 posts

Posted:
£55!?!?!?!?!? cook a cat, does it do its own tricks? mone was only 30 frown. i spose its not that expensive really, if your love for spinning is unconditional. which im sure it is moppy.

lilith_in_londonSILVER Member
149 posts

Posted:
how about making one? it's not that hard, and you'll love it even more...

c'est pas nous qui sommes à la rue, c'est la rue kétanou!

1st official camden town (uk) meet 21st october! see the events bit