Forums > Social Chat > So then Nu Skool Breaks people...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Who out of you guys mixes? Who produces? And who has ever spun poi / staff or used any other kind of skill toy.

I've been mixing about 8 years and I play about with beats n pieces. I've mostly been involved in the house and dnb scenes in that time but I spin just about anything for my own pleasure.

I think I love my MPC1000, my PDX2000's and my XONE62 more than I love toys eek

the_shamanmember
46 posts

Posted:
 Written by: the_shaman

BTW. Anyone got any records by Steelzawheelz???

Just wondered. I bought his new one - Discotron, with a remix by the Drumattic Twins and it f***ing rubbish.

Only jokin' like wink

imastudentnewbie
17 posts

Posted:
we dont do returns btw ;-)

imastudentnewbie
17 posts

Posted:
www.myspace.com/steelzawheelz

^ not toally work safe either

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
 Written by: burningham

No my Ministry gigs have been fairly recent, with the eden collective. Did you ever go to Frisky? I always imagined it being full of girls wearing fur bikinis and fluffy boots (not really my scene wink )

ubblol The top floor was exactly like that!

I was one of the residents in the House room downstairs. Our room was much better. (although there is nothing wrong with girls in fluffy bikinis) wink

I actually started going when it first opened and spent ages trying to persuade the promoter that they needed another room so eventually he gave in and said 'only if you lot sort it out'.

I used to love that place ubblove frown

I ran a night in the same club one summer when I was back from uni that played hip-hop, breaks and dnb. I didnt really have long enough to get it off the ground though. We did take over Stoke while I was there though. Got to do some sweet dnb nights with a load of awesome DJ's and threw the odd party including one incredible genre bending, mates only, night in the only club thats still open there.

Imastudent - One of guys from Stoke did a mini mix for annie macs show a while ago called genre-overload (you can download it Here). He goes by the name of Anti-Chris now. Mind blowing stuff!

burninghamSecond wave. DIVE!
132 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Seye

We did take over Stoke while I was there though.

What? As in Stoke on Trent? All of it? ubblol

Hello?

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Yeah - I know its not a huge achievement but someone had to fill the void when the (umm) Void closed. (bad pun not intended)

I like to think it had a pretty vibrant party scene when we were all there.

It still has Monkee which is awesome. Anywhere that has live hip-hop with the likes of DJ Kryptonite, MC English and Sonny Jim as a regulars deserves praise!

Snatch is still running too - It lost about 4 residents last year though. Thats the problem of running parties in a place thats mainly made up of students.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Wahey biggrin

Just got the new FabricLIVE Cut Copy CD in the post.

I'm guessing some of you guys must be FabricFirst members.

132 posts

Posted:
No?

Although My Mrs bought the Herbaliser Fabric mix cd last week, which I'm radther enjoying smile

Hello?

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Membership is cool. You get the cd's every month but more importantly you get garunteed cheaper entry, queue jumping and free tickets every now and then.

The herbaliser one has that wiered mix of rjd2 ghostwriter on it. I quite like it but all my mates are 'purists' and constantly complain that its just watering down the original.

There's a couple of Yungun tracks on it too. Went to see him and mr thing in manc a while ago. Awesome - there was even a random 'break off' between a couple of manc crews in the middle of the dancefloor.

the_shamanmember
46 posts

Posted:
Thought I'd actually replied to this, but seems to be missing.

I am a fabric member (oo-err!), but I'm thinking about an escape.

CDs are patchy (spesh as half are just house tech stuff), night is too full, nowhere to dance. So the £2 off the door and opportunity to jump a queue that's never there when I go aint fantastic.

Som nice stuff on the site, but probably not worth the £100's I've spent on cds.

Have been collecting them since day one, but I think there's at least 3 that are still sealed at home and I aint really listened to one for about 9 months.

So much other music out there and so many free mixes around that are (often) so much better.

Check out this site which has a wicked section with members mixes in.

Recommend Local Hero and Tosca's stuff;

https://www.bijoubreaks.com

Sorry. don't mean to be negative, but Fabric is just getting worse and worse for me. Just waiting for them to amalgamate with Ministry of Sound I reckon wink

132 posts

Posted:

Sorry. don't mean to be negative, but Fabric is just getting worse and worse for me. Just waiting for them to amalgamate with Ministry of Sound I reckon wink

Nah too much ego on both sides for them to join up IMO.

Hello?

Jurassiknewbie
2 posts

Posted:
Hello Poi people

My name is Ben and I'm an alco... oh [censored] sorry wrong forum

I run a breaks night in Shoreditch, London, called Supatronix, which puts on all the top names (and Youthful Implants). I also DJ and produce and have recently had my first track out on the lovely Pocket Rockets label.

I'd like to meet hot hippy chicks who can teach me how to do poi (and maybe other stuff)

Jurassiknewbie
2 posts

Posted:
I'm also here to kill threads stone dead frown

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
hug

Dont worry, there are loads of hot hippy chicks who can teach you poi.
Come down to Spittalfields market on a Tuesday evening between 7 and 10 pm and meet some!

I'll wear a bra if you would prefer wink

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i'm not hot nor a hippy nor a girl. guess i'm just useless then.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

132 posts

Posted:
Don't tempt him with such things UCOF, you'll only regret it wink

Hello?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
and next in our collection of photos sent in by viewers, is UCOF from London, who has sent in a picture of him wearing his girlfriends bra and panties.

biggrin

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
 Written by: burningham

Written by: Seye

We did take over Stoke while I was there though.

What? As in Stoke on Trent? All of it? ubblol

damn straight, still there kickin this rip van winkle scene into life

help

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

Page: