Forums > Social Chat > So then Nu Skool Breaks people...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Who out of you guys mixes? Who produces? And who has ever spun poi / staff or used any other kind of skill toy.

I've been mixing about 8 years and I play about with beats n pieces. I've mostly been involved in the house and dnb scenes in that time but I spin just about anything for my own pleasure.

I think I love my MPC1000, my PDX2000's and my XONE62 more than I love toys eek

privatepoinewbie
1 post

Posted:
Well, I guess I missed the official "board raid" but I am certainly enjoying the friendly aftermath over at nsb. Nice to meet you all.
I've been mixing music for a few years...7? 8? I've tried to produce some stuff; and properly suck at it.
As for skill toys... I used to rock the nunchaku (nunchuks) when I was in high school, I think every guy tried to make some at some point. We made a small ninja movie once, I weilded a staff in that, but it was for self defence...

youthful_implantsnewbie
14 posts

Posted:
I've been DJing for about 8 years and producing tunes for about 6 of them.

I've got a record just out and more to follow - things are looking pretty good if you like that sort of thing..

I can juggle pretty good but so far no poi experience although I did borrow a friend of a friends' glowing blue staff at Glade for a while but was too mashed to know what to do with it...

I'm definitely better at beat juggling smile

_Slater_member
32 posts

Posted:
everytime i try to swing poi i hit myself in the knee. its got to the point where im not sure if im doing it on purpose or not.

as for mixing, been doing it about 3 years, and in that time ive played a few clubs, a festival and a couple of Free parties in an abandoned mental hospital in manchester. its been fun smile
currently im studying at the school of sound recording, in the hope that i can either learn to produce my own music or become an engineer and make money from other peoples talent wink

youthful_implantsnewbie
14 posts

Posted:
did you say you're a student slater??

urghhhhhh...

get a job wink

burninghamSecond wave. DIVE!
132 posts

Posted:
ubblol

I DJ under the name dtism and founded the dubiously named Armitage Skanks Soundcistern after putting on a night in a converted underground victorian toilet. I've been mixing since the mid 90s and played everywhere from toilets to Ministry of Sound (which come to think of it... wink ).

You can check some of our mixes at www.armitage-skanks.com and see our ugly mushes wink

I also have a show on nsbradio.co.uk on saturday mornings 11am - 1pm UK time (although not this saturday as I'm going to a free little festy thing in Regents Park with my lovely lady) where you can hear my incoherent ramblings and anything from triphop to drum n bass. The lovely Miss T used to be my radio partner in crime, but alas she has a new job which keeps her busy most saturdays frown (not as much fun without her on the show)
EDITED_BY: burningham (1154676879)

Hello?

ag4111member
41 posts

Posted:
I mix terribly and play for dog food

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i mix with stangers in parks while playing with my staff biggrin

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

_Slater_member
32 posts

Posted:
 Written by: youthful_implants

did you say you're a student slater??

urghhhhhh...

get a job wink

yes...im a student, but i also have 2 jobs, so you dont get to judge me! ubblol

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ag4111

I mix terribly and play for dog food

Which dog food? I reccommend James Wellbeloved food, mollydog had to go on that as she got allergies. Seriously, anything cheaper than Butchers- you're being ripped off.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Slater - I heard about those parties in the old hospital - they sounded cool.
Anyways, your in Manc? In that case you have no excuse not to meet myself, bubbles, neon, cantus and the rest of the manc spinners biggrin

Private - There's a few people on here who do fire nunchaku. It looks absolutely amazing!

Youthful - congrats on the tune. What name do you record under, whats the track called and what label is it on?
You'd be surprised how good staff spinning is for strengthening your fingers and arms for scratching!

Ag4111 - Go and practise more then, and lay off the dog food. It is a little known fact that Dangerous Dave Pearce used to play for Wotsits in his early career.

Dtism - There's some cool pics on your site. I'll definitely have a listen to the mixes on there at some point. When I get my ass in gear I'll upload a couple of mixes so you guys can hear them. Did you play at the Ministry when Jazzy M was there? He used to be monthly ressie for a night called Frisky in Northampton that I was resident for. biggrin

Jo - You know that up here there are STILL people that eat tripe! (bloody northeners wink )

Majestik - Can you scratch or juggle the strangers that you mix with yet? wink

I think thats everyone cool

the_shamanmember
46 posts

Posted:
I DJ under the name shaman and promote a night called Urban Nights in Shoreditch, at The Pool.

I've been mixing about 4 years now, although first tried on others decks about 10 years back.

Never tried any of these toys. Always liked to watch though and wish I could juggle.

Not too bad at keepie-ups mind.

So. When's the HOP-NSB party gonna be then?

And who else on here DJs (especially breaks)?

James

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I as going to suggest a HOP-NSB party. It would have to be outdoors though. People tend to get upset when you spin fire inside. I have a few mates in London who are due a visit so I'll try to check out one of your nights while I'm there. smile

Basic juggling is easy once you get the rhythm. Go to oddballs on camden lock and get yourself some juggling balls. You'll have it in no time.

As far as I know there is one dnb DJ on here and shed load of psy trancers. I was the only breaks DJ in the village till you guys showed up biggrin But then I play everything and have a huge disjointed record collection to prove it wink I think it leads to creative mixing though. I may be wrong.

_Slater_member
32 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Seye

Slater - I heard about those parties in the old hospital - they sounded cool.
Anyways, your in Manc? In that case you have no excuse not to meet myself, bubbles, neon, cantus and the rest of the manc spinners biggrin

yeah they were pretty sweet parties. doubt well be able to get away with doing it again tho, the scals turned a bit nasty the second time around frown
i suppose i could hook up with the manchester poi posse for a drink or two, im down in withington myself, ill maybe drop in on a meet up some time. smile
good job we didnt get too feity on here really, theres a few too many people close to home ubblol

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
ubblol I live in withington too!

I live half way between ladybarn park and pleasure.
One of my mates won the Joy Bar DJ comp a little while ago.

Small world!

_Slater_member
32 posts

Posted:

ubblol I live in withington too!

I live half way between ladybarn park and pleasure.
One of my mates won the Joy Bar DJ comp a little while ago.

Small world!

'kin ell...that is close...
i live off parsonage road myself, used to live on ladybarn lane but had to jump ship when the landlord went utterly bonkers overnight.
i suppose we'll have to do a pint in pleasure some time then!

Mr_Identity_Crisismember
48 posts

Posted:
I've been mixing for about 5 years. never really played out properly, just house parties here and there. tried playing with a friend poi about 3 years ago but i was rubbish...

~Troll

imastudentnewbie
17 posts

Posted:
i dj and producer under steelzawheelz you can download y mix from annie nightingales radio one show from my website www.westrecords.co.uk

ill also be playing up at the ledgends bar in cambrigde (wich i understand some of you guys/laydezz) are fromon the 19th of august. hit me up on nsb for a guest list if you fancy it

enjoy ;-)

the_shamanmember
46 posts

Posted:
Cool.

Would be good to have a meet up I reckon.

Perhaps somewhere with a terrace for the fire.

London is the place for me. Come on over to NSB and lets start a discussion on it.

BTW. Anyone got any records by Steelzawheelz???

imastudentnewbie
17 posts

Posted:
im also in burmingham in october at a plump djs eargasam night if anyone is from there (oh yeah check me out)

bringing your poi will incuur a £3 surcharge ;-)

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
plump DJ's! ubblove

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:

Majestik - Can you scratch or juggle the strangers that you mix with yet? wink

i can scratch them but they usually hit me frown ubblol

going to a party tomorrow that my mate is DJ'in for, should be interesting to see how he goes.

the_shamanmember
46 posts

Posted:
 Written by: maus

plump DJ's! ubblove

this is why i don't like em.

they come on at a night and suddenly your drowning in obsessed women with cameras making dancing impossible.

probably jealousy tho. wink

burninghamSecond wave. DIVE!
132 posts

Posted:

Ag4111 - Go and practise more then, and lay off the dog food. It is a little known fact that Dangerous Dave Pearce used to play for Wotsits in his early career.

ubblol He'll love you for that. Dave Pierce is Allan's HERO!!

Dtism - There's some cool pics on your site. I'll definitely have a listen to the mixes on there at some point. When I get my ass in gear I'll upload a couple of mixes so you guys can hear them. Did you play at the Ministry when Jazzy M was there? He used to be monthly ressie for a night called Frisky in Northampton that I was resident for. biggrin

No my Ministry gigs have been fairly recent, with the eden collective. Did you ever go to Frisky? I always imagined it being full of girls wearing fur bikinis and fluffy boots (not really my scene wink )

Hello?

imastudentnewbie
17 posts

Posted:
we could do a hop v nsb night at the volks in brighton? your on the beach there so could do it outside the club innit ;-)

the_shamanmember
46 posts

Posted:
and would this be very close to where you live imastudent?

LTBlistanewbie
19 posts

Posted:
I've stuck an NSB event in your events section and you're all very welcome to come - and Youthful Implants is one of our guest DJ's - I'll be presenting the show which will be broadcast on NSB radio on 19th August from the Hanover in Brighton. Free to get in too, and Hop'ers very welcome.

Would be great to see you lot there, and there's a cracking beer garden to spin in if you cannot resist.

imastudentnewbie
17 posts

Posted:
 Written by: the_shaman

and would this be very close to where you live imastudent?

absolutley ;-)

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
oh good plan! times like this i wish i lived in london frown

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:

Written by: maus

plump DJ's! ubblove

this is why i don't like em.

they come on at a night and suddenly your drowning in obsessed women with cameras making dancing impossible.

probably jealousy tho. wink

Feck off love!

Screw the cameras...i'm there to get my wriggle on and nothing else! ubbloco

Plus...I would probably be far too mashed to even be able to lift a camera! wink ubblol

the_shamanmember
46 posts

Posted:

BTW. Anyone got any records by Steelzawheelz???

Just wondered. I bought his new one - Discotron, with a remix by the Drumattic Twins and it f***ing rubbish.

Page: