Page:
GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Bad news:
Girl, 6, dies at fire eating show:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/5239986.stm

Brithish Girl in Turkey 3 days ago.also 6 others injured.

Any one know any more information.
frown
Drew

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
the only other story I could find was this one
https://news.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=1123962006

From the sounds of it the fuel canister exploded (reasons unknown but it's pretty safe to assume improper fuel and/or a damaged or cracked container) and those sat (too?) close were covered with glass and fuel which then continued to ignite and burn those poor people.

frown

Let's relight this forum ubblove

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
frown I caught that on the news this morn, and I wasnt sure but thought I heard fire eater accident. At first I was like nah... musta misheard... but now... frown

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
frown thats really sad to read

i feel really bad for the lack of safety, and that a life was lost because of it frown

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i can see peoples PLI premiums going up eek

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Got to say that story kind of shook me up a little bit. Made me think of all those time I have been careless with my dipping can. frown

Why let your body be a temple? When it can be a theme park?

Wii Console Number: 3294 0297 7824 7498

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
frown

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Oh what a terrible accident frown

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

artindorilmember
117 posts

Posted:
It's a complete waste of such a young life.

I'd like to know what fuel the performer was using. I certainly think it wasn't paraffin, as I'm fairly sure that it would more or less impossible to get paraffin to explode. Also, what was he thinking using a glass container!! All it would take is for that to get too hot and bang, even if the fuel didn't ignite.

Surely he would have been better of using something like a metal drinking flask. That way he'd have burnt himself before it exploded, or it might have given more time for people to get away.

I know it's easy to comment once the event has happened, but it sounds like this was due to a complete lack of common sense and safety. We'll see what happens, as I hope they're be an inquest into what happened.

Just hope that people don't start judging us because of the problem caused by one person.

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
Oh my god, thats absolutely awful.

Peace and good thoughts being sent to the little girls family and friends. frown

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
frown

Getting to the other side smile

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
My dad called me last night asking if I'd heard about it, but I couldn't find anything online at the time... I think he'd heard that the girl was from London and thought it had happened there frown

Didn't believe him when he said the fuel container exploded... frown

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I was thinking if i went back to turkey for a holiday, I'd go back to Kusadasi, as I have been there before, and maybe take my poi. Now, methinks I wont.

"alcohol-based fuel"

Heavens above, did this person not think about its flashpoint and the safety of the audience?

Makes me so sad, and angry at the performer's neglegence!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
frown

Certainly one of the risks folks take when using explosive fuels.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
It's definitely tragic that this little girl went to be entertained by 'What We Do' and it ended up killing her...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I feel bad for the performers, its one thing to injure yourself when you use fire like that, but to hurt someone else and probably be fine yourself must be an awfull feeling

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Actually, there weren't alot of contradictions. Just one covered from one angle and the other from a different one.

It sounds like in the first one, no one was sure what happened.
The mention of alcohol based liquid was purely speculative by an audience member, which as we all know, doesn't know anything usually.

Honestly, sounds like white gas to me. You can do a trailing wall with it and it will cause containers to explode.

It sucks...on sooooooo many levels.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TinklePants

I was thinking if i went back to turkey for a holiday, I'd go back to Kusadasi, as I have been there before, and maybe take my poi. Now, methinks I wont.

Makes me so sad, and angry at the performer's neglegence!

First I would like to slow down the horses, as nobody really knows what actually was going on. Groundless accusations and pre-judgemental statements should be kept where they belong - second me thinks that it would be a splendid idea to have "HoP representatives" who teach fire safety rules to resorts and fireartists around the globe.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
frown

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

second me thinks that it would be a splendid idea to have "HoP representatives" who teach fire safety rules to resorts and fireartists around the globe.

I do that FT. I have for years.

There are two main hurdles for this...

Resorts would rather just not have the fire in that case, it is cheaper and easier.

Many fireartists have an excessive amount of pride that makes them think they are safe so several are very defensive and arguementative.

And that sucks, and is why we made the video for backyard spinners.
Professionals need to take it a few steps further even. Perhaps we will make that video someday. *shrug*

Pele

ahughes80ukSILVER Member
6 posts

Posted:
I was reading the mail this morning another fire accident and the loss of a young life. Whether or not this was due to improper fire safety or just that it was a freak accident this should not happen agen . why do we take our own life and the life of other so carelessly is it just in the name of art or just because of the money maybe its time for all of us to look at what we are doing and think twice before performing. lets take fire art out of hotel grounds and perform with a safe distance from the people who are watching.

p.s Pele please help H.O.P do a safety vid on fire breathing i think its time we all know how lethal this art can be and help set a universal safety guidelines for the world. .

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

Many fireartists have an excessive amount of pride that makes them think they are safe so several are very defensive and arguementative.

"My ego is my fire safety"

Yup, seen it. Especially with folks that use exceedingly volitile fuels.

frown

I don't have all the facts so I won't judge this one.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ahughes80uk

I was reading the mail this morning another fire accident and the loss of a young life. Whether or not this was due to improper fire safety or just that it was a freak accident this should not happen agen . why do we take our own life and the life of other so carelessly is it just in the name of art or just because of the money maybe its time for all of us to look at what we are doing and think twice before performing. lets take fire art out of hotel grounds and perform with a safe distance from the people who are watching.

p.s Pele please help H.O.P do a safety vid on fire breathing i think its time we all know how lethal this art can be and help set a universal safety guidelines for the world. .

theres is one here smile

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

brittleGOLD Member
131 posts

Posted:
very sad what has happened i agree,

also that fire breathing vid would be bery handy as where i live there is no one around who does this sort of thing, so that would be very handy as i have only had the HoP tutorial to go on - which was very handy -

at least for new breathers like me it makes me extra cautious to not let my ego get away with it self

What to do in case of fire??? LET IT BURN!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
So far I don't see a whole lot of judgements being passed as much as the overwhelming sentiment of suckage.

However here are the facts from the accounts that do measure up....

Fire performers on stage
Fire leaves stage
Girl dies

and all of that added up to the public eye= badness

I think the gods could rain down fire on some hapless soul and if a fire performer were on stage s/he would be blamed.
It's the nature of our biz and it sucks.

As for other vids...perhaps. I'll talk with Malcolm at some point and see. I am not sure about the breathing vid. It is one I will have to give ALOT of thought to.

Pele

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Now apart from the fact that it's a tragedy - nobody will remember by the time school starts in Europe... The reason why this was in the papers (in the UK, we didn't have a single line on it in Germany) is because a briton girl died in the accident...

This will not have much effect on "us" - but it will certainly be one drop in the oppositions barrel.

I recently heard the story of Austria's "Spielvolk" who were sitting together with officials and fire prevention officers, police, etc. and set a bunch of standards and regulations for every fireperformer who wants to go on stage, or perform in public (for money). It's mandatory - as far as I know - for every fire performer in Austria. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

If HoP or some of it's rep's would set a guideline-catalogue and distribute it through local rep's in the respective countries, tragedies like the initial one could be avoided and the reputation of fire-performers would not deminish. What ya think?

I know this sounds also totally repelling for me, but when we are looking at the growth rate of poi and fire playing, it is about time to think it over from "OUR" side - before we are forced to the outskirts, or banned.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

ahughes80ukSILVER Member
6 posts

Posted:
I think you are right on that one Pele but I also think that people are only human and they will do what ever they want to do, like with drugs if some one if going to do it then they will do it at least tell them all of the things that could happen and give them some safety advice. Sorry if its sound a little bit Bulling but I think you will agree with me.
EDITED_BY: ahughes80uk (1154629674)

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

Now apart from the fact that it's a tragedy - nobody will remember by the time school starts in Europe... The reason why this was in the papers (in the UK, we didn't have a single line on it in Germany) is because a briton girl died in the accident...

Wrong, Tom, my dad heard about it before it was even brought up here!

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Heard about this on the radio in to work today(actually yesterday) morning.

Very sad- It'd be useful to know exactly what happened- in a community this size we could inform a lot of people what not to do (along with that already mentioned in the fire safety video)

sagetreeGOLD Member
organic creation
246 posts

Posted:
i read in the paper this morning that he was using petrol. why would someone use petrol for fire performances??? how sad ubbcrying

pitmanSILVER Member
addict
544 posts

Posted:
Yeah this sucks I feel so bad for the little girl’s family, and I also feel bad for the performer having to live with what he has done, but some good has hopefully come from this accident. Performers around the world will here of this one way or another so at least people will hopefully be more careful when performing.

DONT DO DRUGS THERE BAD FOR YOU.
SO GIVE THEM ALL TO ME AND I WILL GET RID OF THEM FOR YOU!

Page: