Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > 3 poi juggling tips and tricks (Updated with vid 12/11/2006)

Login/Join to Participate

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
Lately I spent a lot of time in practiceing with 3 poi;

after a lot of try I found that the easyest(for me) pattern to start with 3 poi is tossing them :P .

Now I have a record of about 100 catches and an average about 40 that will be a good start for trying tricks.

But first... I know that there are a lot of way for throwing a poi and for 3 poi juggling I use socks poi with an handle 1/3 weghted than the head.

The start is with one poi for each hand and one catched on the internal elbow, in such way is really simple to have the third poi in the hand after the first throw only lowing the arm.

The throw method is club-like, one turn and the consequent catch must be done with the hand that exactly catch the handle and not the poi body, after it for stopping the turning movement of the poi I get my arm low, in such way the effect is nearly like a stall (but really less "well-done") and you can throw again your poi from the starting position without losing time in spins.

This is my way for the 3 poi cascade! Yours???

Ok these are my tips, now the triks tongue I know that as soon as I can throw doubles a lot of siteswap are possible and not too hard(441,531, 423 with something like the "2" spun and so on)...or something like shower or mills mess pattern are doable... but I need more space than my bedroom for trying them...

I practice also a lot with whip catches that will be a good way for catching and re-throwing one poi!

Anyone practice something like this and can help me with some advice or can suggest me better ways or simpler tricks?

Thanx in advance!!!

Acciaio devil

pitmanSILVER Member
addict
544 posts

Posted:
huh? that sounds so hard! fair play to you

DONT DO DRUGS THERE BAD FOR YOU.
SO GIVE THEM ALL TO ME AND I WILL GET RID OF THEM FOR YOU!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
that's great to hear - well done! biggrin weavesmiley juggle biggrin

you could try:

wallplane spins, same direction as a half shower

this trick should mean you don't have to stall on each catch and you can keep the poi spinning all the time smile

with just two poi, i can do a full shower like this (with one spin while in the hand) so you should be able to fit three into a half shower.

would you mind giving me some more information about the poi setup you are using please?

the length and the weights of the balls in each end (or just the proportionate weight of the balls to each other) would be really handy to know.

i'd like to have a go at this but will need to make some new poi for it so might as well go with a setup that has been tried and tested smile

good luck and keep letting us know how you're getting on.

hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
O yep coleman my poi are Play socks(really normal tubolar socks poi) with a beanbag in each head(135 gr) and a fluffy 40 gr wight in each handle with some knot for adjusting the lenght.
For contact poi I use very short poi then 50 cm or shorter are better for me...
The tricky thing is that these are my normal use poi, I have take inspiration from ruslan Flomenco but I wont to integrate the poi juggling with the normla spinning and with a lot of poi manipulation that I'm exploring in these months.

in your half shower I think I have to try to throw the "reverse" with doubles... juggle ubbloco I have tryied what you say but finally I can only do a two poi shower with a forward butterfly shower(not half :P) with the "1" spun in front of me and "stalled" every time I catch it...
Now I'm going to go to spend some days near the sea!! I will try your patter that will be doable thanx a lot coleman!!!
Only one thing with 2 poi you start from a follow or same time reel for going into that pattern?

Is not so hard as you imagine, I think, it take me about 2 months and I cannot do more than a flash with 5 balls :P

Acciaio devil

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i start 2 poi showers from follow time.
it is a very good pattern to learn doubles.
the poi that i use to throw are equally weighted at each end - i like this as i can throw nice floaty halfs smile

of course, they are also useful for when i mess up doubles as i can catch either end wink

rather than make new ones, i may just adapt these so the heads are connected by something more substantial than string...
i will have a go and see how it works out.

"Now I'm going to go to spend some days near the sea!!"

i want to go to the beach too frown

have a great time biggrin hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
thanx a lot!!! biggrin

but shower or half shower pattern???

I have tried equally weighted poi but I cannot fell well with them ubbangel only a personal fear I think 'cause for me meteor is meteor and poi are poi :P also I like the not-staff like turn of my poi when I throw them!bounce2
But I think you are true and with them can be more easy! peace

Enjoy!!!

Acciaio devil

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
"but shower or half shower pattern???"

well, since i can't do half showers with poi yet it would have to be full shower i was talking about redface

i reckon 2 poi half shower (with the over the top throw as a double) would be great practice for half shower with 3.

i have to get me some of these now - a half shower with the over the top throw as a full circle and the normal throw as a half would be badass biggrin

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
Whats the advantage of juggling poi instead of torches? It would be much easier to get then more club swinging patterns for three this way.

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: entheogen

Whats the advantage of juggling poi instead of torches?

my poi have light at both ends.

plus you have the chance to try stuff like whip catches, suicides, mindgames and all the other stuff that poi can do that clubs cant.

smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
hehe, i would like to see a video of your 3 poi juggling, it sounds sweet... smile

i reckon that you could do the cascade with wibbles (possibly dibbles so you get a bit more airtime...) , also a shower should be possible, with one hand doing dibbles and the other doing wibbles, ive been working on this one with two poi and its not tooo difficult, but i havnt got 3 poi the same so i dont know how hard it is with 3.

you should also be able to do a cascade in the wheel plane with no stalling... but i think this is hard as you are hardly holding onto the poi at all, so you have to get really good at correcting your throws and being super accurate.

also the same sort of thing should be possible in the wall plane..

good thing to practise to learn these tricks is two poi shower one handed with both hands and in both directions with each.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
 Written by: oli

you should also be able to do a cascade in the wheel plane with no stalling... but i think this is hard as you are hardly holding onto the poi at all, so you have to get really good at correcting your throws and being super accurate.

also the same sort of thing should be possible in the wall plane..

In the wall plane looks like a reverse cascade with rings!!!
It will be really sweet!!! ubbrollsmile

I'm not so good with wibbles with 2 poi for applying them for tricks from the cascade...

For a real video of my 3 poi I'm going to work a lot on them and I need to find tricks and something else... ubbidea like solidity ubbloco

In my short holidays I've done 130 catches with 3 (my record yeah!!) and I've started to work on the shower as coleman described me!Not qualified yet :P I will work on this pattern it looks really cool!!

Acciaio devil

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I'm *just* into a position where I will have 4 nigh on identical poi for the first time ever- I've been thinking about trying to get three going.

You seem to be the man on the cutting edge at the moment Accacio biggrin Looking forward to seening all this biggrin

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
This all sounds super sweet.

Acciaio, you rock smile

I made 4 poi the sme a few years back but never got too far with 3 poi cascade. I used 2 poi mostly and they stretched longer than the other 2, haha. Then i never got round to sorting it all out.

But all this talk about 3 opi juggling is very inpirational.

You say that you 'kinda stall the poi' when you catch it, and i think you change the spin direction. This sounds to me like a wibble???

I definitely find the shower pattern easier, cos the poi are all spinning in the same direction and tend not to tangle up in the air.

It's funny cos i've just been learning 3 club shower in the wall plane throwing doubles each throw (oh yeah, i've been juggling more than anything else for the last 6 months)

Anyways, acciaio you need to get my dvd and sort your wibbling out, then you can teach me lots of great stuff when i meet you.

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
I'm really honoured of hearing words like these from the people that inspirate me a lot everytime I watch at their posts and videos!!!

Thanx sooooooooo much hug

@matt the stall I do when I catch the poi is done for absorbing the turning movement without doing a time expensive turn ...

so the pattern is really the same of club juggling that you stop in your hand when you catch them and then re-throw with the same spin sense. I don't think this is a wibble but I can be wrong...

Today I have bought your DVD!!!Cannot wait to see it but in Italy the delivery take two weeks...then I must wait for it!!! peace ubbrollsmile peace

Acciaio devil

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Wicked mate, the 2 videos for you to pay special attention to are 'The Essence' and 'The Death of Reality' wink

Ciao

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
Ciao!
I've seen the DVD and it's really impressive your control of the double wibble!!!
I'm working on it now! juggle ubbrollsmile
The other impression on the DVD are in the correct topic :P

With such control of the wibble a lot of patterns can be done with 3 poi!!! The time that the poi is in your hand is shorter than any other kind of throw and is also more spectacular!!!
I think can be something like X-time with balls... ubbloco

p.s.
I update easy tricks doable(closed by me now) with 423(4 in singles or doubles) and 522(5 in doubles naturally) now I'm trying to "spin" one turn when I need to do a 2 ...can be pretty... and working on 441 that I've only collected(not back in the cascade).

Acciaio devil

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ubbrollsmile

this thread makes me very happy, i learned to do a 3 poi cascade with wibble throws yesterday, got up to about 10 catches... more practise today then...
i was practising 1 wibble and two balls for a while.. realised i could do 2 wibbles and one ball on sunday at the juggling convention (hoorah smile ) and then tried 3 poi yesterday which imedietly seemed allot more doable than when i tried it about 3 or 4 months ago...

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
Insane.

I like the idea of using balls to learn to juggle poi (thats how I learnt clubs).

But still.
Insane...

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
Crazy trick Oli!!!
I will practice in it from....uhmmm... NOW!!! juggle

But I can do only a few catches of two poi wibble redface
I need to improve it....but....I can try to put the third poi into Throttle ubbidea...let's try!!

Acciaio devil

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
6 throws and 6 catches of record in shower with 3 poi!!!! ubbrollsmile biggrin biggrin biggrin ubbrollsmile

Soooooo happy!!!!
But only one time I can do it ... the average now is the flash with one more throw and catch when it works well!

And 423 with one spin of the poi with the 2...

but the doubles with poi are at 5 meters of height and so my beanbags inside the socks are broken now frown

Acciaio devil

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
At a little Italian convention a my friend take my some footage...
This is what I'm working on with 3 poi...
Now cascade is solid and I'm working from some month on the shower that is really hard... juggle ubbloco juggle

Enjoy it...and is good if anyone else will take some little footage to share ideas on 3 poi juggling...for example oli 3 poi in wibble? ubbidea wink

Ok just click here:
https://www.italianpoi.eu/3poijuggling.wmv

Acciaio devil

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
nice video, good to see what your up to , your shower is looking like it should work biggrin

i havnt practised with 3 poi for ages, and i havnt got a video camera at the moment.. so i cant reallly make a video... actually i could if i used my camera... hmm, i might do that

but thanks for your vid smile

edit, here you go, rather shiitty quality, dosnt last long, but a video of 3 poi wibbling is here rolleyes

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
Thanx a lot oli!!!
Really cool stuff!!!
I really have to try it 'till tomorrow with newer and more equilibrate poi than mine!
But it looks really doable (I'm not saying easy rolleyes )
I can also see that in this way you can make some correction to the poi with a little "catch and rethrow" instead of the wibble!!!

Thanx a lot oli!!!

Acciaio devil

fomjaBRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
hi poi jugglers,
i´m working as well on juggling 3 poi at the moment. the way i do it is (i got poi with only littel weight on the handles):
i´m practically throwing in a butterfly (outside, splittime rhythm), 1 1/2 spins to ther other hand... while spinning 1 circle with the poi in the hand. Like reverse chops whit clubs on the wall plane. starting like 2 poi in one hand (my right., doing a "meteor 8" forward...left hand spinning opposits... now just release the one poi (the "following one) and your in the pattern...

have a good time
fabian