Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > UK National Poi in the Park Birthday Bonanza: Sheffield

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
hey everyone, as some of you may well already know, a few years past my time up here in sheffield a wonderful chap called p.k got together with some of his friends and created the local event which we all know and love; poi in the park. each year since we have been getting together every month to spin fire, teach new people, learn new tricks ourselves and generally have as much fun in the park with cool people as can be had, and each month id like to think we all come away from pitp enriched, sometimes slightly singed, but always having had a good time.

every year around the september/october time however we also have a big birthday celebration to mark another successful year of pitp, and this year we've got something very special lined up for you all.. :-)

sadly mr pk is no longer in sheffield to host the event, although he and his family are always here with us in spirit, but it has been left to matt and i to carry on his legacy and ensure every time we meet, our community is as friendly, welcomgin, fun and helpful as possible :-)

this year, to celebrate the growth of pitp and the new pitps that have sprung up in recent years all over the country we've decided to go one bigger and better with our birthday celebration; the thought is, why not get ALL the national poi in the park meets together for one HUGE FUN DAY OUT up in sheffield?!

on OCTOBER 21ST 2006, in ENDCLIFFE PARK off ECCLESHALL ROAD/HUNTERS BAR ROUNDABOUT, from 3pm onwards POI IN THE PARK'S UK NATIONAL BIRTHDAY BONANZA begins! :-D

there'll be everything you normally expect from a pitp, good people, loads of food, plenty of colourful spinning equipment and their owners, along with such amusing games and 'wushu frisbee' and 'tree bounce challenge' and many more. this year though we're also going to be incorporating much much more, with some capoeira and breakdance teaching, along with contortionism and acrobatics on display for all to marvel at and learn and many more fun activities

we've also decided that this year we are gonna go one further and put on a bit of a show as well, so we're looking for people who are confident and happy with their fire spinning to maybe do a little routine for us. doesnt have to be amazing, and certainly there's no need for it to just be about the professional performers amongst us, more the everyday spinners just showing us the moves they love :-) to get the ball rolling i've promised i'll do a bit of a show as organiser so believe me after that no-one will look foolish and there will be no need for shyness..

i invite anyone who is reading this to please come up to sheffield for the day and spend some time spinning and chatting with us crazy sheffieldians on october 21st. the event will be going on all throught the day and evenign and into the night, with accomodation provided by myself, a few other generous house-loads of people and also we will be renting out the hall we use for the flying teapots overnight which should be able to comfortably sleep a good 80+ people so rest assured if you come up for the day a bed will be there for you and probably a nice cuppa tea in the morning too :-)

so i can gauge numbers and book the hall and possibly more accomodation if needed please could ANYONE INTERESTED get in CONTACT with ME either via MYSPACE, THE FLYING TEAPOTS ONLINE FORUM, HOMEOFPOI.COM, by PHONE if you know my number, or by EMAIL burningsinsaway@hotmail.com

those of you who are ORGANISERS of similar poi meets across the country, please also can you contact me on behalf of your group/community so we can discuss proceedings as there are a few more suprises planned that i want only a few people to be in on until the day....

on behalf of all those before me and those i represent now, i hope to see you all in the park in october :-)

peace n pineapples

si scotting AKA kashira (flying teapots) AKA si_sheff (homefopoi)

WhiteTigernewbie
15 posts

Posted:
wow! this is great, i had no idea poi etc had got so big in the UK - sadly, i am still in little known rural devon and there aren't many people to play with here! i will try to show my face at pitp as i would really like to meet some more of you, but it will depend on logistics of getting time off etc! does anyone know of any other events that might be happenning a bit closer to home for me? it'd be good to meet more HoPpers for devon so we could all get together to track up to these meets!

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
Larry, he moved to Bristol or somewhere! He should be coming though I think.

Neon Shaolin, it's just one day, but what with fire going on till late most people will be crashing in Sheffield. There'll be a swanky church hall for those who need it smile

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
If someone from glos is willing to give me a lift i will go and share the feul money and provide hours of good talk

Mike

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
Thanx for all in advance!!

In a week I will book the flght!!

ùThere is someone from London that can give a lift at 2 or 3 Italians pleeeeasseeee???(sure share also money for the travel :P ).

Acciaio devil

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
all my fave people always gop to this so im in as usual smile

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I'm sure i can make it down with you Tobe... biggrin

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
did he? didn't tell me! the bugger ran off with my magic book then! grrrr

i'll bring Manski along then. and maybe Gay Alex (only so he can see what real poi is all about, it'll do his ego some good, wink )

What're you looking at?
I assume you're being rhetorical?
What're you callin' me!?

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
You what? Now I'm confused...I meant Mech moved, I wasn't accusing you of moving down south without telling yourself!

LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
oh, i thought u meant Will, nevermind. i'll be there then

What're you looking at?
What're you callin' me!?

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Yeah, Mech moved to Gosport...

I can't believe it's this time of year again already!! Unfortunately, I can't come to play as I shall be in the south of spain *ahem* studying...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
yup not only did he move down there but he has a habit of coming back here with promises of nights out on the town and then he goes all goey and lame and goes home lol, you smell step ;-P but we still love ya, god knows why lol.

neon, to answer your question technically it'll be going on all day that saturday and then well be wandering back to the hall for people to crash for the night. gotta be out by about 10 or 11 the next morning which is a bit early for some so, weather permitting, well all just go and crash in the park behind my old house for sunday until people wanna drift home. ive got the weekend very much free so ill be sticking around until last man goes to clear up, be it sunday or monday hehe. :-)

apologies if anyone's been trying to reach me on my mobile over the last week to talk about performances, phone's died on me but it'll be back shiny and new again tomorrow :-)

peace n pineapples

si

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
Assuming we don't have a samhuinn walk through that weekend I will be doing my very best to make it, especially now my sister lives just round the corner from the park.

One day i'll learn to resist gravity...

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Counting on the fact that I wont be working on oct 21st I'll be driving over for this.

I'll have to let you know closer to the time but I've already provisionally booked a place in the car for Jen - I'm sure Tobi and Dave can fit in there too smile

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I love you Seye... ubblove hug

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
Any news Si? Just over a week till I'm back in Sheffy now! Oh, and have you got round to building any sticks yet? I've been waiting for months! wink

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Mech has currently moved awaqy from gosport wink and back up north and not sheffield way!.. but i dont think he will miss this.

erm IF im not there can people take loads of photos and make a nice little video to the poiinthepark site which can be found at www.poiinthepark.biz i would love to see what im missing!.

Looks seriously like im going to miss this again this year as im trying to get a new job so i doubt i would be able to get time available... plus cant afford to feed my son let alone €60 on a flight to get to pip.

Still cant get over last year!, i arrived in sheffield to be told that it was the birthday bash the weekend befor!.. uffi.

anyways have a good one, maybe next year i can bring the familly for a holiday and see all of you guys again.

LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
were you actually there last year Shill? Carl seems pretty damn sure i met you in sheffield once.
looking forward to this now, i'm fillinf up my calendar with juggling events since i no longer suck! i might actually do some spinning this year!

What're you looking at?
What're you callin' me!?

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
Nope, I definately wasn't there last year. Can't where I was, some gig or other. It could have been Alter Bridge. But nope, definately didn't meet you until Chocfest. I'd met Ed at leeds though, maybe Carl's thinking of that.

_Siege_SILVER Member
181 posts

Posted:
Um, originally thought I was going to be driving up but now it looks like I'll have to get the train and won't be arriving till after 6. Anyone gonna be able to pick me up from the station at some point?

Children laugh an average of 146 times a day; adults laugh an average of 4 times a day. Put more laughter in your day!!!

A few clowns short of a circus!

Damn right I'm good in bed - I can sleep for days!

LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
he must be mistaken then, it's not unheard of!
this year i'm actually going to do a fair amount of spinning, rather than the d'lite and magic bits i went with all of last year. not saying i won't be throwing cards about, just not as much.
Shill, expect your soul to be stolen on multiple occasions!!

What're you looking at?
What're you callin' me!?

TastesLikePurpleGOLD Member
addict
498 posts

Posted:
dude i am so there! and bringing some friends from the nottm meet along with me hopefully!

Thoughts arrive like butterflies...

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
oooooooooo I so gotta get my butt there too biggrin I'm sure I can sort sumat out smile

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
*bump* for all the Manc peeps having discourse on this matter yesterday...

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
hey everyone, apologies i havent updated with news on october pip recently, been hella busy trying to find myself a job, evidently i just have one of those faces... ;-P

to make it easy for all of us i shall explain here the updates rather than pm messaging individuals.. basically what we wanna get going on is a bit of a renegade performance line up in the evening; sheffield pitp guys will be doing a bit of a spin as a group and we'd really like everyone who's come to do likewise so that way we'll end up with a kinda montague of all the different spinning groups from around the country spinning one after the other.. :-)

this doesnt have to be a practised and spangly performance, can just be a load of people from the same areas getting up and spinning together, after all pitp is about fun not style hehe ;-P that way noone needs to be embarassed and the hope is to get beginners spinning with everyone else comfortably and proudly for their area :-) sound like fun?

so basically anyone out there reading this who is an event oprganiser/group leader etc.. im leaving you in charge of sorting out your own troops so you can put together a performance if you want, or you can all just spin together, either way we just wanna see and share in the fun of other spinning communities :-)

also can those people please do me a HUGE favour and get back to me with estimates of how many people are gonna be coming and how many will need accomodation for the night.. gonna be booking the hall at the end of next week and could really do with a rough figure to work with please.. :-)

hope everyone is as excited as me and looking forward to october.. all start preying and doing your rain dances now so it will be a nice day, but come rain or shine pitp will prevail!!

peace n pineapples

si

LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
i'll see if i can grab someone to work out a performance with. if not i'll be around doing my d'lite stuff, which apparently is now called "conjuring" by other glow dance/raver types! madness

What're you looking at?
What're you callin' me!?

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
If you want PM's better ask, or should we get a quote list going?
ubbrollsmile

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
i am officially asking

What're you looking at?
What're you callin' me!?

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
maybe if people who are going in groups can let me know rough numbers, doesnt have to be very accurate, just need to know whether to book the big or the small hall for people to crash.. whichever way's easiest to let me know, im sure i can think back to school and do an old fashioned bit of counting lol :-)

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
possibly two or three not 100% but likely

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
open question: what do people think of the idea of having a huge picnic at pip? if everyone brings random picnic foods and drink and we all mix everything together on one giant rug everyone can experience a myriad of strange fruits from all over the uk... and their food ;-P sound like a cunning plan?

Page: ...