Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > UK National Poi in the Park Birthday Bonanza: Sheffield

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
hey everyone, as some of you may well already know, a few years past my time up here in sheffield a wonderful chap called p.k got together with some of his friends and created the local event which we all know and love; poi in the park. each year since we have been getting together every month to spin fire, teach new people, learn new tricks ourselves and generally have as much fun in the park with cool people as can be had, and each month id like to think we all come away from pitp enriched, sometimes slightly singed, but always having had a good time.

every year around the september/october time however we also have a big birthday celebration to mark another successful year of pitp, and this year we've got something very special lined up for you all.. :-)

sadly mr pk is no longer in sheffield to host the event, although he and his family are always here with us in spirit, but it has been left to matt and i to carry on his legacy and ensure every time we meet, our community is as friendly, welcomgin, fun and helpful as possible :-)

this year, to celebrate the growth of pitp and the new pitps that have sprung up in recent years all over the country we've decided to go one bigger and better with our birthday celebration; the thought is, why not get ALL the national poi in the park meets together for one HUGE FUN DAY OUT up in sheffield?!

on OCTOBER 21ST 2006, in ENDCLIFFE PARK off ECCLESHALL ROAD/HUNTERS BAR ROUNDABOUT, from 3pm onwards POI IN THE PARK'S UK NATIONAL BIRTHDAY BONANZA begins! :-D

there'll be everything you normally expect from a pitp, good people, loads of food, plenty of colourful spinning equipment and their owners, along with such amusing games and 'wushu frisbee' and 'tree bounce challenge' and many more. this year though we're also going to be incorporating much much more, with some capoeira and breakdance teaching, along with contortionism and acrobatics on display for all to marvel at and learn and many more fun activities

we've also decided that this year we are gonna go one further and put on a bit of a show as well, so we're looking for people who are confident and happy with their fire spinning to maybe do a little routine for us. doesnt have to be amazing, and certainly there's no need for it to just be about the professional performers amongst us, more the everyday spinners just showing us the moves they love :-) to get the ball rolling i've promised i'll do a bit of a show as organiser so believe me after that no-one will look foolish and there will be no need for shyness..

i invite anyone who is reading this to please come up to sheffield for the day and spend some time spinning and chatting with us crazy sheffieldians on october 21st. the event will be going on all throught the day and evenign and into the night, with accomodation provided by myself, a few other generous house-loads of people and also we will be renting out the hall we use for the flying teapots overnight which should be able to comfortably sleep a good 80+ people so rest assured if you come up for the day a bed will be there for you and probably a nice cuppa tea in the morning too :-)

so i can gauge numbers and book the hall and possibly more accomodation if needed please could ANYONE INTERESTED get in CONTACT with ME either via MYSPACE, THE FLYING TEAPOTS ONLINE FORUM, HOMEOFPOI.COM, by PHONE if you know my number, or by EMAIL burningsinsaway@hotmail.com

those of you who are ORGANISERS of similar poi meets across the country, please also can you contact me on behalf of your group/community so we can discuss proceedings as there are a few more suprises planned that i want only a few people to be in on until the day....

on behalf of all those before me and those i represent now, i hope to see you all in the park in october :-)

peace n pineapples

si scotting AKA kashira (flying teapots) AKA si_sheff (homefopoi)

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
What the bald lady? I don't think she's ANY race of this earth.

But if you're referring to me Oli then yes... hug

(How did you guess...? rolleyes)

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
stroo get your ass to sheffield! like hell is cheerleading more important than spinning.. ;-P

everyone, looking forward to tomorrow.. it looks like it's gonna be non rainy for the majority of the day but just incase always be prepared..! see you in the park for a day of fun and madness

ps. if anyone wants to bring some cds down the more music the better... ;-)

peace n pineapples

si

lollipurple penguin- soon to be
478 posts
Location: playing with the pixies at the arsse end of the mi...

Posted:
Hiya crazycats,

if its of any help, I'll be at sheffield station tomorrow arvo at 2.20ish and can guide peeps, who are willing to walk, to the park.will have a silly hat on. if you need to give me a shout you can get me on o7 966 774 85 4

sorry i never offered this with more timing, i didnt know if id be going.
See y'all there
Lolli x

ps: Kat, Egberts too cool! sorry i neve rreplied, havent been on here for yonks! my bad : ( hope to see you tomorrow. squeezes hug

My spelling wobbles. its very good spelling but it wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong place

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
Oooh, only made it to this thread today. Dunno now if I can make it. I'll make up my mind tomorrow.

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

strooSILVER Member
trusty sidekick to superman
799 posts

Posted:
oooow i want to be at spinning fun in park. hope you're all having fun lovlies!

(mmm...duvet)

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

Crazy_ClownGOLD Member
102 posts

Posted:
Thanks a lot for this amazing weekend!!!!
Take care

Santi

|)><(|

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Cheers Si and everyone else who put in the considerable work that goes into arrangeing these events.

The rain came, but it could have been a lot worse and it did wait until the afternoon was over and everyone had had a good time.

I especially enjoyed the hall time, staying well beyond what i planned and leavingl, i believe, around 4 am.

A very productive session which I'm hoping will inspire me to tackle some of my recent laziness with practice.

More important, it was good to meet some nice people, especially the contingent from leicster poi spinning club (I know I've spelt Leicster wrong, it's out of laziness not lack of respect smile )

I know that Liam (tempest) especially appreciated some of the staff spinners ideas and I think he's going to be working on lots of stuff as well (anti-spin?).

And i sold two of my flutes smile (anyone else interested, drop me a pm).

My one regret is that, towards the end, someone across the hall was playing one and doing some Irish style music on it- I was very impressed, she was playing far better than i could and i intended to mention that and also to maybe get some tips on playing.

Unfortunately I got distracted, so, if you're reading this, then know that your playing is very impressive indeed smile

Si and the other sheffielders who were there till the end- hope the cleaning up of the hall went smoothly and well done for setting up an amazing event! smile

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
thanks for the bash

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
yea, thanks allot to the sheffield people for putting up with us and being generally cool, and firendly hug had a really good evening, biggrin

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I'm definitely feeling the effects of having only 2 hours sleep on Sunday Morning...

Pub food was sh*te and not worth £1.99! I'm sticking with greasy spoons in the future.

Otherwise brilliant meet. Wish I didn't sleep in and had gotten there earlier before the rain and darkness consumed us... All in all it was like a pyjama party with extra bruises... (I DEMAND Sandy and Cantus duke it out in a battle of honour. Penguins optional)

Would've been fun to stay and see the church-goers' faces had we stayed for Sunday Mass. It was lovely of them to let us have the hall in the first place. Thanks to Si and co for organising everything so that we weren't running between bus shelters like headless chickens...

Was lovely to see everyone again anyway.

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Wicked weekend - well worth the trip.....

well apart from ripping the [censored] outta my trousers 5mins after i got there! ubblol

Top effort by Si - Lolli and the sheffield crew thanks soooo much for tea, food, hall, spinny goodness and a show! (although next time let me finish skinning up wink ) ubblol

Everyone else great to see you all again as usual, sadley i rekon this was the last meet of the year as far as getting everone together goes, what a sweet way to end it.

Dave - i thought breakfast was ace! tongue it was the walk to it that sucked! ubblol

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Egg and bean was cold, bacon wasn't crispy... the mushroom maybe GLANCED at the pan before turning away because it was too hot BUT I didn't have it in me to complain as I was knackered so I should shut up...

There's that Greek greasy spoon place just a few yards down from the Titanic memorial and the custume shop back in Southampton. Now THAT place KNOWS how to do a greasy fry-up... Just ask G biggrin

Nice cheap Mocha though...

I didn't mind the walk, it was a mini adventure...

Re: Pants - should've worn a codpiece... tongue

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
 Written by: tim_marston

thanks for the bash

Dude - where were you?

confused

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I'm assuming he was the guy juggling 4 mini staves in the park... confused

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Ahhhhh righty ho dude......

sweeet smile he rocked at that!

Im [censored] at meeting people ubblol

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Juxtaposeur

Would've been fun to stay and see the church-goers' faces had we stayed for Sunday Mass.

We met/encountered some of them later. Lovely people. Excellent drivers biggrin And no one carries jars of jam quite so proudly as the elderly....

Meh

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
As everyone has already been said by everyone big thanks to Si and all the sheffield crew for putting on such a good day. Bonus points have to go to the guy who came to the park straight from Fabric!

Wish I could have stayed longer but the drive did me a bit of a favor... I actually spun and juggled things rather than drinking and smoking :P

Sorry to those that I didn't say goodbye to properly. If I'd have hugged you all I wouldn't have ever got home wink

Who was the sheffield diabolist who was doing the arm orbits with the string wrapped around his arm? I spent ages chatting to him but can't remember his name (as usual).

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
must do more all night spinning sessions.
It was the bomb.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Arrange them and they will come...

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
it was [censored], see you next year wink

Step (el-nombrie)

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Mech YOU were censored!!! biggrin

I managed to get out of the knot you tied me up in within a minute! (after walking to the park holding the staff behind me with people looking at me funny - probably thinking I was secretly into bondage - it probably helped me with my negative space tongue)

hug Don't stop mooning...

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
yes, i am [censored], just cos i can get away with it biggrin

easy knot to get out of, just about the initial tightness of the ropes, ones you obver come that, its easy

there was not knots in it, only a slip knot at the end, easy restraint.....

and i know the show sucked, anyone got a video tape of it?

Step (el-nombrie)

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mech

and i know the show sucked, anyone got a video tape of it?

Tempest (Liam) smile

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
damn man, I didn't even realise who that guy was! He's older than old school!

WooooooOOOoOOOOooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

etc.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
Hey all! Was ace to meet some of you guys, by which I don't mean it wasn't good to meet others, just that I didn't meet as many people as I should have done smile Had an excellent weekend, see y'all soon!

Oh, and Step, I salvaged your poi from a soggy park and then didn't see you to give them back, but don't worry, I'll look after them. smile

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
shill, i was in the middle of this large group of ppl for about 30 mins, not being funny, or usefull at all!

when coudl you not have found me to give them beck?

wink

Step (el-nombrie)

_Siege_SILVER Member
181 posts

Posted:
As has already been said, big thanks to everyone involved in organising the weekend. Shame the weather wasn't better but it's England in October - we can't complain really! ubbrollsmile

Written by: onewheeldave

My one regret is that, towards the end, someone across the hall was playing one and doing some Irish style music on it- I was very impressed, she was playing far better than i could and i intended to mention that and also to maybe get some tips on playing.

Unfortunately I got distracted, so, if you're reading this, then know that your playing is very impressive indeed smile

I don't know for certain because I wasn't in the room at the time but I have a sneaking suspicion (sp?) that the mystery flute player may have been Clairebe. I lived with her for a couple of years and have come to accept that whenever there is a flute/tin whistle/guitar/musical instrument of any description within her vicinity it will be played!!!! It's enough to drive a girl crazy! ubbloco

(ubblove you really Clairebe! hug)

Children laugh an average of 146 times a day; adults laugh an average of 4 times a day. Put more laughter in your day!!!

A few clowns short of a circus!

Damn right I'm good in bed - I can sleep for days!

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
yeah none of us could find you mr, you cunningly blended into the ground, perhaps having subterranean pleasure with a mole?!? ;-P

thank you to all who came along, i hope much fun was had. apologies the show did turn into a bit of a farse but at least we did get to have some fire spinning after it pissed it down..

cheers to all who helped, step, tim, tim, tom, tom and tom and the other flying teapots, and to cantus and the other lass who helped keep me sane and tidies up with me when all else were asleep.. og if you guys could have seen the mirth you slept thru.. ;-P also special thanks to sandy, strugs, meg and everyone else who left me inspired with loads more doubles and contact ideas, especially mr g, nothing like 4am antispin isolations :-)

lost and found: we recovered a rather thin redish brown lass's long sleeve top and have no idea who it belongs to but it definately doesnt fit me..!!

peace n pineapples

si

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Oh. Sorry for snoring...

smile

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

ClairebeSILVER Member
Destroyer of kitchen appliances
180 posts

Posted:
I was the one playing, I think. Thank you for the compliment, but I was crap because of beerchug.

Thanks to everyone who was involved with organising it, I had a brilliant time. Apologies to Neon for chatting endlessly about staff-building on the train journey home - he just wanted to sleep. Sorry. ubblol

My brain is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, but unfortunately not as tasty.

Squueee!

Page: ...