Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > UK National Poi in the Park Birthday Bonanza: Sheffield

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
hey everyone, as some of you may well already know, a few years past my time up here in sheffield a wonderful chap called p.k got together with some of his friends and created the local event which we all know and love; poi in the park. each year since we have been getting together every month to spin fire, teach new people, learn new tricks ourselves and generally have as much fun in the park with cool people as can be had, and each month id like to think we all come away from pitp enriched, sometimes slightly singed, but always having had a good time.

every year around the september/october time however we also have a big birthday celebration to mark another successful year of pitp, and this year we've got something very special lined up for you all.. :-)

sadly mr pk is no longer in sheffield to host the event, although he and his family are always here with us in spirit, but it has been left to matt and i to carry on his legacy and ensure every time we meet, our community is as friendly, welcomgin, fun and helpful as possible :-)

this year, to celebrate the growth of pitp and the new pitps that have sprung up in recent years all over the country we've decided to go one bigger and better with our birthday celebration; the thought is, why not get ALL the national poi in the park meets together for one HUGE FUN DAY OUT up in sheffield?!

on OCTOBER 21ST 2006, in ENDCLIFFE PARK off ECCLESHALL ROAD/HUNTERS BAR ROUNDABOUT, from 3pm onwards POI IN THE PARK'S UK NATIONAL BIRTHDAY BONANZA begins! :-D

there'll be everything you normally expect from a pitp, good people, loads of food, plenty of colourful spinning equipment and their owners, along with such amusing games and 'wushu frisbee' and 'tree bounce challenge' and many more. this year though we're also going to be incorporating much much more, with some capoeira and breakdance teaching, along with contortionism and acrobatics on display for all to marvel at and learn and many more fun activities

we've also decided that this year we are gonna go one further and put on a bit of a show as well, so we're looking for people who are confident and happy with their fire spinning to maybe do a little routine for us. doesnt have to be amazing, and certainly there's no need for it to just be about the professional performers amongst us, more the everyday spinners just showing us the moves they love :-) to get the ball rolling i've promised i'll do a bit of a show as organiser so believe me after that no-one will look foolish and there will be no need for shyness..

i invite anyone who is reading this to please come up to sheffield for the day and spend some time spinning and chatting with us crazy sheffieldians on october 21st. the event will be going on all throught the day and evenign and into the night, with accomodation provided by myself, a few other generous house-loads of people and also we will be renting out the hall we use for the flying teapots overnight which should be able to comfortably sleep a good 80+ people so rest assured if you come up for the day a bed will be there for you and probably a nice cuppa tea in the morning too :-)

so i can gauge numbers and book the hall and possibly more accomodation if needed please could ANYONE INTERESTED get in CONTACT with ME either via MYSPACE, THE FLYING TEAPOTS ONLINE FORUM, HOMEOFPOI.COM, by PHONE if you know my number, or by EMAIL burningsinsaway@hotmail.com

those of you who are ORGANISERS of similar poi meets across the country, please also can you contact me on behalf of your group/community so we can discuss proceedings as there are a few more suprises planned that i want only a few people to be in on until the day....

on behalf of all those before me and those i represent now, i hope to see you all in the park in october :-)

peace n pineapples

si scotting AKA kashira (flying teapots) AKA si_sheff (homefopoi)

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
si,
i emailed you but got no reply,i would love to do a stint in the show i have some rough routines in desperate need of public airing................drops galore ubbloco
i am arriving with a character who often goes by the name of tall pete who is kindly accomodating me whilst in sheffield!!!!
i can also bring about 20 flame pots and a hundred or so jam jars and nighlights for setting up a sort of stage if you want????????

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
well after me waiting for ages to get there my lift has let me down frown i am so upset have fun guys

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
im coming hopefully biggrin

i dont know how or planned it yet but ill sure make it!

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
tim that would be amazing man cheers :-) apologies i havent been able to read your letter, for some reson hotmail wont let me log in at the mo..?!?!

basically we dont have a stage cos its a free event and no overheads but when it gets dark were gonna have an area for anyone who wants to do a little show to basically have a play about. gonna have a small sound system so can play music but it'll probably only be a cd player or ipod hooked up to speakers in a boot so the residents dont complain about the noise.

oh and drops galore, the more the merrier, apparently im doing a little routine this year which hasnt been remotely planned yet so im sure ill be far far worse :-)

on a note to EVERYONE, please bare in mind from this i cannot currently check my hotmail account so any emails for info of any sort please send them to sheffpip@googlemail.com

peace n pineapples

si

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Whooooooooooo.............

not long now - see you all on saturday morning!

Ill be arriving in the silver spaceship with Ripley wink biggrin

ubbrollsmile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Another year, another PITP, another Chutney no show..

Have a good'un guys smile

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
gay......... ubbloco

you out with John? wink

frown

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
mike can you not still get up here? national express is only about "12 i think, and you might still be able to get some cheap singles at "6 from midlandmainline if you check single fares rather than returns, usually works out cheaper upto a few days before travelling for buying tickets..

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Go Swivel on your avatar Strugz wink

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
hey guys, the big day is nearly upon us; sheffield birthday poi in the park is on this saturday, october 12th, in endcliffe park, just off the eccleshall road/hunters bar roundabout from 3:30pm.

we've got a day of fun lined up with spinning, games, capoeira, break dancing and contortionism, an evening of music and fire with performances by some of our special guests, and then a night of dancing at urban gorilla. for those who want a more sedate night we have also booked the hall we use for flying teapots so there will be several rooms available for people to spin or sleep..

on sunday for those who want, we will be continuing on at weston park after turning out of the hall in the morning and all are welcome to stay in sheffield during the day.

for those of who who wish to perform on the renegade 'stage' this year can you please just confirm with me and let me know if you will need music, and if so in which format.. also just give me an idea what you will be doing as we may well have a bit of a compare to announce when we get started with the shows.

note to all performers: we do note have a physical stage! you will be performing in an area of the park sectioned off by tealights so be aware the grass may be slippery. we will have a small sound system cunningly located in the boot of a car so can provide music, but it will probably be via cd or ipod type medium..

remember, poi in the park is a free event that can be attended by all, the only money we will ask for is if you wish to spend the night at the hall, in which case there will be a small charge of about £3 to cover the cost of booking.

during the day please feel free to ask anyone for help or instructions, there will be people of all levels present, from those who have never spun or juggled etc.., to those who make their livings from doing such things. to the newer spinners among you, dont feel shy or embarassed around those better than you, just look for inspiration! remember they will have merely had more practise and im sure everyone present will be happy to teach you something should you ask :-)

if anyone requires any further information before the day, please DO NOT use my hotmail account, for some reason i cant access it at the mo. instead please send any emails to sheffpip@googlemail.com, or reply directly on HOP PM or to any of these forum posts.

poi in the park aims to be about a bunch of happy people enjoying a good day's spinning ,meeting new friends and making merry, the more colourful the better! :-) come along, have fun and ill see you all in the park on saturday..

peace n pineapples

si

Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
I am going to try to get up my very hardist if i do come up i will do a small section but dont hold ur breath so it might be betta if i come find you si if i come. If my money is in the bank i will do

Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
I am going to try to get up my very hardist if i do come up i will do a small section but dont hold ur breath so it might be betta if i come find you si if i come. If my money is in the bank i will do but someone from glos can give me a lfit please pm me

Mike

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
si - you going to give me some of thet managa you havebeen promising me for an AGE now wink

Step (el-nombrie)

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
some of that managa eh?? well i guess i could...... whadda want monkey boy?

_Siege_SILVER Member
181 posts

Posted:
Hey Si, just thought of a question - is there anywhere decent to park either near where the fun is happening or near the hall where everyone is sleeping?

Children laugh an average of 146 times a day; adults laugh an average of 4 times a day. Put more laughter in your day!!!

A few clowns short of a circus!

Damn right I'm good in bed - I can sleep for days!

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
There is a road next to the park that fit cars in......

also near the church hall (not outside as its a main road) but just round the corner there are lots more roads that you can fit cars in too smile

(not meant to sound patronising, but pobably does)

smile

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
yup yup, small carpark by the park and loads of side roads to park down, then we have a couple of carparks by the hall as well so you'll be well catered for dont worry :-)

_Siege_SILVER Member
181 posts

Posted:
Thats all good then. smile

See you on Saturday afternoon then! hug

Children laugh an average of 146 times a day; adults laugh an average of 4 times a day. Put more laughter in your day!!!

A few clowns short of a circus!

Damn right I'm good in bed - I can sleep for days!

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
how do we get from the train station to wherever were going first?

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
right, when you come out of the train station, either: cross over at the lights, walk right and follow the path to the travel interchange, get one of many buses that go to eccleshall road/huntrers bar and ask the driver to tell you when you get to endcliffe park at the roundabout, then just wander into the park and you'll see us.. OR, get a taxi straight there, it'll cost about £4.50 i think..

anyone needs help on the day call me on 07732084463

kitilixBRONZE Member
33 posts

Posted:
Hey peeps!

see you all there!!!!

ta tar 4 now!!! biggrin

By the powers of greyskull!!!!!

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
bounce

looking forward to being back in Sheffield.

Can't believe it's been so long!! hug miss you guys!!

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
Ok, for those who need a map I've just put one together and I'm about to save it in my gallery. It's a word file so it should print fine. The shoddy arrows show the best route from the train station to the park. It's about a 25-30 minute walk at Shill speed, but maybe longer, especially with armfulls of spinables and picnic stuff :o)

See y'all Saturday!

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
cant wait

ClairebeSILVER Member
Destroyer of kitchen appliances
180 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Tom_Shill

Ok, for those who need a map I've just put one together and I'm about to save it in my gallery. It's a word file so it should print fine. The shoddy arrows show the best route from the train station to the park. It's about a 25-30 minute walk at Shill speed, but maybe longer, especially with armfulls of spinables and picnic stuff :o)

See y'all Saturday!

Ooo, thank you! I had visions of showing up at the train station and wandering around by myself for hours trying to find the place.

Actually, I'm not that great at reading maps. That could still happen. ubblol

My brain is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, but unfortunately not as tasty.

Squueee!

strooSILVER Member
trusty sidekick to superman
799 posts

Posted:
hmmmph just found out i have little to no money and cheerleading practise (yes.... im a cheerleader...) tomorrow afternoon so pretty sure i wont be able to come...

if anyone from the cardiff area has room in their car and is leaving late ish tomorrow tho let me know and i'll try to find money

(ooh and sorry for not replying to texts recently - im crap and have no credit)

hug

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
whooooooooooo!

its tomorrow! smile

Although its not fair - im stuck at work and there is a balding lady staffing hippy sat at my house gloating about "not being at work" which is why mcp is gay biggrin ubbloco

See you all there ubbrollsmile

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Hmmmm Is it this bald lady?

Non-Https Image Link

See you guys tomorrow... biggrin hug

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
dude.........

thankfully no.

i dont want to ask where you got that picture - it looks like part of a special collection of yours wink

see you 2moz!

hug

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
is it that chinese one?

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Page: