Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > plane manipulation transitions

Login/Join to Participate

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
this is an anti-wall plane thread. so if you're a firm believer in the wall plane and sacred gemoetry, I suggest you hit the back button. I have met very few people who can transition between a weave, windmill, or corkscrew into a butterfly/thread the needle without a stall, or wrap, or without moving the poi slowly into place. what I'm talking about is plane manipulation. try to use one poi and spin in a circle and create a triangle around you. (from a birds eye view) got that? good. now, try a square. a little harder isn't it? that's not the end. now try a pentagon. good luck. this doesn't only have to be around you, it could also be over your head. or under you if you're so inclined. if you noticed, in the square. that when you switched the poi to the "other side of your body" the plane changed 90 degrees. and on the next switch of another 90 degrees, the poi was spinning in the opposite direction that is was on the parallel plane. weird, huh? now imagine you've got both poi going at the same time and you're doing a weave. now, as you turn to your left, you bring your left poi to the parallel plane across your body and do the "square" around to it with the right poi. suddenly, the right poi is moving the in opposite direction of the left. you're in a thread the needle now and you never actually switched the direction of one of your poi. this is the simplest of plane manipulation tricks. I'll leave it up to you to figure out some more. good luck. and perhaps the only way you can "invent" a trick at this point in the game would be to come up with an amazing transition. it is much easier to go from a butterfly to a weave than it is from a weave into a butterfly using this style. but I have faith in you, have fun!!!

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
video please?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
"hold on.... let me catch my breath... laughing way too hard."

maybe, you mean something [Old link]?

or could you be alluding to [Old link]?

seriously, [Old link]?

"if you've never seen it before, i suggest you open your eyes."

just repaying the compliment dude tongue wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
Hey Jaero, how's it going? I'd have to say I disagree with some of your sentiments that finding plane bending transitions are the only "new moves" or families to be discovered. There is still so much more that can be done with what we already know, that there must be even more out there we haven't discovered. Plane bending is an area that could be developed a bunch more though.

Anyway, I don't really use these too much but will probably play with them a bit today. I used to play around with bending weaves. The combo was fwd weave in the right wall plane as it comes in front bend it into a corkscrew and then exit the corkscrew as a forward weave on the left. You end up turning a weave from fwd to fwd instead of the usual fwd to rev when you turn it actually comes out quite smooth.

The only time I use this stuff during a performance is for dressing my planes to the audience. A quick little 90 degree plane change will let you seamlessly transition to a position where you can face a part of the audience that was only seeing the side view of your spin.

Peace, Love, Circles

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
sorry cole, none of those links have anything to do with it. it's kind of a mixture of changing speeds with both poi and manipulating the angle you come out on when you switch the poi to the "opposite side" of the body. by doing different numbers of transitions with either hand and coming out at different angles. and it's not bending planes either, but rovo and I went over that at bisco.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
im sorry jaero, this has been dscussed at lenghth, with nice fas animations made and everything.

in fact i rember about 4.5 years ago watchign a certain jo derry (where is he?) doing smooth 1 beat transitions, between corkscrew and butterfly and back.

thats without mentioning any of the work thats been done on atoms and 3d spinning.

i suggest you hit the 'search' button wink

you are right about this being a huge feild, and there is a lot of work to be done on transitios, but i recon you should post up new transitions, and then we can all have a go.

dont mean to be harsh, bt i come across that way sometimes.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jaero

sorry cole, none of those links have anything to do with it. it's kind of a mixture of changing speeds with both poi and manipulating the angle you come out on when you switch the poi to the "opposite side" of the body.

well, that's not at all what you said in your first post - in your first post you talked about box planes and trinity spinning so i linked to some existing threads that moved on to talk about exactly that shrug

did you look at [Old link]?

sorry if i offended you but those quotes are actually your own (dismissive) words that you used when speaking to another person that was discovering an area of poi that was new to them.

i hope you're having fun and look forward to hearing about what you come up with smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
 Written by: coleman

did you look at [Old link]?

thats the puppy biggrin

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
that last link hit it pretty good. I wish I could show y'all a couple of the individual maneuvers. the corkscrew to butterfly is something else. I stumbled across that transition about a year and a half ago. it's about taking the poi out of one plane and into another at a certain point. another subject all together. but either way, it looks as though someone spoke of this topic 4 some odd years ago. I looked for it before I posted, however I guess I didn't know what I was looking for.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
hehee, long live box planes, atomics and trinity wink

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.