Forums > Social Chat > how to teach when they don't want to learn

Login/Join to Participate

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Got a puzzle for you guys.

I have just started a new job (wahey!!!). This is a training position where I am designing an introduction to call centre course that will run for six weeks full time. It is government funded, because it is provided to indigenous trainees for free.

The problem is, we are having trouble filling places so that we can actually run the course. We had an information session yesterday, and of the seven trainees who had shown initial interest, one had gone away on holiday, two were not going to come, one was uncontactable, two said they would show and didn't, and only one showed up (late ). Apparently it is even worse trying to get people to attend the full course.

So, two questions:

1. Why would people not show up?
2. What can be done to change that?

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
1. Apathy, and call centre work is awful. No one in their right mind would want to work in a call centre, I don't say this lightly I work in one.

2. More advertising and some kind of reward for attendees.

*Edit. Sorry for the abrubtness of my reply and congratulations on the new job

[ 13. February 2003, 10:09: Message edited by: Thistle ]

Are we nearly there yet?

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Rozi.

I spent two years here at the New Zealand Institute of Management as a training consultant, which entailed getting people onto our courses.

It's a very hard job for most people, and takes a lot of effort to get the momentum going.

Unfortunately, I'll need a lot of info from you about the current advertising, numbers of indigineous people in your area, time and location of the course, and how long they run.

For your info, whenever a cours eis more than a day long, you may find an average cancellation rate of about 25%.

For small class sizes, such as 15 or less, the changes in the attendees lives (love, kids, work, accidents etc) will have more effect on attendance than anything else. You can stack the odds in your favour.

The best thing to do is to email me, and maybe go onto MSN or another chat room to talk directly, as there is a lot of info that doesn't work well by BB or email...

Hope I (and others) can help you...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
Mmmmmmmm call centre's, I love's em!

I agree that a reward system of sorts is the way to go, either some sort of certification or recognition from the employer & showing them the benefits of attending the course interms of their new knowledge making the job easier for them. Call centres are the modern-day factories, most employees just want to go in > come out and get paid. When there is that little interest in the job itself then the people probably don't feel that attending is going to improve their job.

Show them that life isn't worth living if they don't attend you course!!!

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Heya,

a little more info. The course is for jobseekers wanting to work in call centre, so hopefully they won't realise how bad call centres can be. (I personally am working in a pretty decent call centre right now, so they are not all hel holes )

It is a basic training course to get them job-ready, so they can go to interviews for entry level call centre positions, and turn up on the day and not be freaked out by the technology.

What happened yesterday was just an info session, not the actual course.

I will be taking you up on your kind offer Charles, so be awaiting a pm!!!

jim bombadilmember
142 posts

Posted:
To answer question one I'd agree with a couple of the posts above that Call Centre work is not something that people are going to be enthusiastic about. When you say that the jobseekers WANT to do call centre work I imagine the case is for many of them that they see it as something undemanding which they may as well do as they need the money (it was for me). I think the way to increase interest would be to offer people work which was a little more varied, where they have the chance to inovate and improve not simply follow scripts. Also your choice of clients will affect how people feel about the work. Sorry if this is a bit negative, I'm not a fan of call centres at all (I'm in one right now!!). The problem is you feel useless, they're not the new factories, factories still exsist but they're one rung up the ladder in these wierd repetitive rituals we seem to fall into.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Tough call Rozzi.

From what you have said, it sounds like sum government department is forcing indigenous people to work for the dole or sumthing like that.

Not sure of your contract, but wouldn't the government department be responsible for getting people turn up? If you have a good "govey size contract" use taxis, it could be cheaper in the long run. Perhaps, talking to a leader in the indigenous community might be useful. Think laterally.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I just got a job at a contact centre...At a telco and I have to say out of all the times that I have worked at a contact centre this center is fantastic!! The people are great and compassionate and I am having a great time telling them all about my fire escapades and heaps are saying that they will come along to the next burn!!! I really like the people and see myself as staying there for a very very long time...I agree with Rozi that not all are a hell hole~!
Rozi keep your chin up and battle on sweetie...perseverance is the key hunny! Good luck my friend

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Grrrr, guys listen, this is not a work for the dole scheme. It is a free course that does not oblige the participants to register with any government agency, and will not affect their receipt of pensions or benefits. They can choose whether or not they attend the course. Quite frankly, if it were compulsary there wouldn't be such an attendance problem and I probably wouldn't be posting this.

There is nothing I can do through this course to influence the work they may or may not end up doing. We are not offering them jobs, although as part of the course we teach jobseeking skills. We are not a recruitment agency, nor are we a call centre ourselves. We are a not for profit organisation that receives government funding to run these sort of courses free for the public.

We are teaching really basic level skills, ie, how to use a phone & headset, how to send an email, how to find a record in a generic database. It is aimed at helping people who want to work in call centre and are unlikely to be able to get experience, to get free training, and to have a certificate that includes nationally recognised training qualifications. Maybe they can use these skills to find a fun call centre job, but that is up to them.

The question I am asking you is not "are call centres evil places?", the question I am asking is "why do people who on first contact seem so interested, just not turn up?" and "what can be done about it?". This applies to any courses, and not just call centre.

Sorry to have a rant, but I really need the answers to the above and people seem to be misunderstanding what I am talking about.

thanks Valura for a valid comment. Perseverance is definitely part of the solution.

[ 14. February 2003, 02:36: Message edited by: Rozi ]

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Someone who seems interested ins omething then doesn't turn up has done so beacuase

1. Something more important in their mind, came up.

2. someone talked them out of it

3. They had something else to do that day

4. They got sick

5. It did interest them now it doesn't...

6. Their interest faded after the initial contact

7. they got sick

8. They aren't interested, they wer ejust being polite

9. The infomration was more about the course than what it could do for them

10. etc etc etc

Email or PM me Rozi, and we can try to chat about it...maybe after the weekend, got a lot of gigs on right now.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
Free lunch?

Magnus... pay it forward

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
"why do people who on first contact seem so interested, just not turn up?"

Personally, I think it's up to the individual to motivate themselves. But, that doesn't always work So, I'll just add a few things to Charles list for consideration:
Is the time of the course appropiate?
Do you offer, or need to offer child minding facilities?
Promote the social-side of the course.
Sorry, brain ded.
Charles may have some survey info on reasons Y people don't turn up.

Good Luck.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I suggest you round them up with cattleprods and poke them in the eyes (not with the cattleprods though) if they try to leave.

I imagine that doesn't help much, but I don't have any other ideas and I've been resisting posting something like that since I read this thread the other day

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
A lot of people lack motivation Roz...They decide that they will commit themselves to a new experience and then back out because they are either lazy or they are fearful. (to be a bit of a bitch about it)
Maybe a follow up service will encrouage them...prehaps giving them a call to confirm their appointment date and time. Or even ringing them up if they dont show up...just tell them that you were concerned because they didnt show. Ask if they are still interested...One thing that you need to remember is that you are helping them not doing them a bad turn so dont be afraid to call them!!...good luck hun.
Oh btw thank you for acknowledging me...feel like Im being ignored a bit on the boards lately. People dont answer me or nufing. So thanks babe.

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Suggest you will probably have to make things as easy as possible, if you want people to attend. Here are a few more considerations:

Is the venue well located and easy to find?
Is the venue close to public transport?
Is there good parking close to the venue? Probably not, so do you provide parking vouchers or organise a discount for student at a nearby car park.
Do you provide details on how to get to the venue ie map with bus and train and tram routes?
Do some people need overnight accommodation?
Does the course start at a time so people travelling a long distance don't have to get up too early? Does the course finish in time so people can pick their kids up from school etc?
Do the course start and finish times mean that students get caught up in peak hour traffic?
What days are course run on? Do the clash with the footy/ cricket etc. I would suspect attendance to be low on Mondays, Fridays and Pension days.

thingeymajigmember
43 posts

Posted:
How do you advertise?

And how did the people who showed initial interest get in touch with you in the first place (i.e. in person, by phone, questionnaire etc.)?

You need to highlight what a great opportunity the course is, and that just because its free, doesn't mean it's second rate.

Also the offer of some kind of 'Certificate in Basic Training' is a good incentive as its something they can put it on their CV.

If all else fails, free cake always goes down well!

Good Luck, I'm sure more people will turn up for the actual course. Quite often people don't see the point of going to introductory meetings unless they are really keen.

xx

....so does it come with a hat?

LuNcHbOx...(Aka. Nathan)-un-singlemember
536 posts

Posted:
Simple...
Just say these words.....

"Screw you Guys, I'm goin home."
see simple....piece 'o piss.....
laterz..

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...