Forums > Social Chat > NOT an ear infection but mumps after all!

Login/Join to Participate

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Ouch! Just got my very first ear infection, at 27!! Didn't realise how annoying they are wink

Now being dizzy and hearing funny doesn't really bother me that much, but the lymph nodes just under the ears have become HUGE and hurt when I, well, move my head, speak, smile, chew... you get the picture! Ouch ouch ouch angry

Not to mention that my face looks really puffy ubblol

I guess I'll go home from work early and lie in bed watching dvds... any top advice in addition to painkillers and drinking lots and inhaling menthol stuff?

(and NO, telling me I shouldn't have gone paintballing and then to the pub till 2 am yesterday is not acceptable, cause you know, I thought it was just a normal cold then redface)

EDITED_BY: Birgit (1154338733)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
As far as I'm concerned there is no reason on earth not to go paintballing and to the pub biggrin (even being dead is not a valid excuse).

Can't help with the infection as I've luckily never had one *touches every bit of wood he can find*. Hope you feel better soon hug

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

FlamezBRONZE Member
56 posts

Posted:
If it is middle ear infection, do yourself a favour and make sure it doesnt become meningitis(sp?).

That is one thing i am very afraid of. It happened to my brother when he was little, he got brain damage from it.

Didnt mean to worry you, i mean you are 27 and probably know this stuff. I couldnt help, just some friendly advice.

Hope you feel better soon hug

"My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely."

"Insanity is my only means of relaxation."

ChellySILVER Member
Niraffe
884 posts

Posted:
Meningitis is quite rare from an ear infection, but yes please be careful!! I found that wrapping a hot water bottle in a fluffy blanket/towel/toy and holding it to my ear helped me. And getting a cuddle and some chocolate milk is good too. hug

"Lots of beeping. And shaking and tinfoil." Chelly

"Are you sure it's a genuine test and not a robot heroin addict?" Cantus

---set free by the rather lovely FireTom---
--(right arm owned by Fyre)--

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
yupp, Birgit hug hug hug hope you become better soon. Consult a doctor, if you haven't already - this thing can be nasty if not treated well.... you HEAR ME? wink

However my suggestions would be: some choclate and lot's of love from friends... smile

grouphug

Send ya mine hug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

ChellySILVER Member
Niraffe
884 posts

Posted:
wow - I've just noticed being ill is definitely working on the hug status!!!! Hope the positive energy helps... And here's another so you feel warm and fluffy hug

"Lots of beeping. And shaking and tinfoil." Chelly

"Are you sure it's a genuine test and not a robot heroin addict?" Cantus

---set free by the rather lovely FireTom---
--(right arm owned by Fyre)--

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
awwww hug

eat some chicken soup biggrin

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
And amoxicillin.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Doctor says no antibiotics because it's probably viral shrug

And to come back if my eardrum should burst.

I love how caring the NHS is, gives you such a warm feeling of being looked after well by the people you trust with your health...

Other than that, soup and hot chocolate (or indeed chocolate in any shape, but I got some at work earlier and the chewing hurt so liquid may be the better option wink) sounds like a great idea, and thanks for the hugs biggrin

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
Heat up some olive oil in a pan and poor it in your ear (the oil, not the pan), using a spoon, while it's still very wam but don't burn yourself!

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Oh poor you! Ear infections are horrible hug

My children regularly get infections and burst their ear drums. They find relief in compresses, hot or cold to rest their heads on. I have to say though that antibiotics seem to have a positive effect within hours.

I don't know what it feels like to burst an ear drum, but from watching it happen to my kids it seems that your earache gets worse and worse- then suddenly stops (the point at which the build up of fluid behind the drum bursts it). Sometimes fluid trickles from the ear, and I understand there is loss of hearing in that ear.

Anyway, get better soon!

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
So burst ear drums does that mean you become deaf forever?

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
If all heals well you hear a bit worse.

Just a general question, I know to watch out for neck stiffness with meningitis... how do I know if my neck is a bit stiff when everything down from my ears is swollen and really painful? :|

If I had a temperature and hadn't had the vaccination I'd say I've got mumps, I do look like a guinea pig.

(G.W. Dahlquist)

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
ive got conjunctivitis, if thats any help...

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Keep a glass tumbler handy (cup), since the meningitis rash dosent disapear when its pressed on it. Ooh birgit it wont turn into meningitis lol, you'll be fine.

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
yeah I don't think it will, statistically, but was just wondering how I'd be able to tell wink

My head's swollen up even more today, I look like something out of a nightmare but have to go out to buy food at some point... am wondering if a headscarf is an option!!! (for those who don't know me I'm not generally vain but this is REALLY bad!)

Am quite convinced now that it's not an ear infection on account of really everything in my head BUT my ears hurting, and all symptoms fitting perfectly for mumps. Got a temperature now, too... But hey, the "treatment"'s the same (=bed, painkillers and baby food), and there's not much I can do but feel sorry for myself and wish I had someone to make me tea. But then I wouldn't want them around because I'm really irritable right now and REALLY don't want anyone to catch this. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. angry

Sorry for being such a miserable sod, I'm just sooooooooooooo bored!! And missing my work party tonight which is really bad cause we always end up in my boss's music room playing guitar and singing for hours and I was looking forward to it frown

(G.W. Dahlquist)

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
hug Feel better soon hun.

Take comfort in the fact I have yet another ear infection and it's making me feel like the world is turning upside down every few mins, which leads me to fall over quite a lot. My eyes say one thing and my ears say another, so my brain is getting a little bit confused. my co-ordination is out the window and I'm sure I look very funny as I sway and wobble my way about ubblol

I hope your pain goes and that you are up and about having fun very soon hug2

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Hah, you're invited to join me alternating between the bed, HoP and watching movies. I'll share my hot chocolate, too hug

(G.W. Dahlquist)

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Birgit

Doctor says no antibiotics because it's probably viral shrug

They handle ear infections differently in the UK than in the US. We treat them if present >48 hours in a patient over 2 years old. The evidence is controversial.

You can take ibuprofen 800mg every 8 hours WITH FOOD for the pain.

I repeat: WITH FOOD.

Did I mention WITH FOOD? biggrin

-Mike

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Don't like ibuprofen much, even with food larger doses tend to give me stomach pains! So I'm taking the 300 mgs with semi-liquid food cause I can't chew!! tongue And paracetamol (was that acetaminophen in US-English?).

Not quite sure why the doctor said to take those instead of aspirin? As far as I know paracetamol is pretty useless for anti-inflammatory properties?

(G.W. Dahlquist)

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Actually I had glandular fever and then straight after Tonsilitus just after christmas, paracetamol got me through both of it. I was pilled up to my eyeballs for about 2 weeks lol

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Birgit

Don't like ibuprofen much, even with food larger doses tend to give me stomach pains! So I'm taking the 300 mgs with semi-liquid food cause I can't chew!! tongue And paracetamol (was that acetaminophen in US-English?).

Not quite sure why the doctor said to take those instead of aspirin? As far as I know paracetamol is pretty useless for anti-inflammatory properties?

We really only use aspirin now as an anti-clotting drug. Ibuprofen is a much better anti-inflammatory and tylenol/paracetamol is a very good painkiller.

Some decongestants might help it drain.

-Mike

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Just went back to the doctors and it's a full-on case of mumps (apparently with way more glands being way more swollen up than is usual) and I have to stay at home for another week frown

Anyone who wants to entertain me feel free to send a pm or something frown

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
whats mumps? is it like glandular fever? confused

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Mumps is a disease that is almost gone now thanks to the Measles-Mumps-Reubella (MMR) vaccine. It causes inflammation of the parotid glands (salivary glands in the cheeks) and can cause inflammation of the testicles (orchitis), which is, as you might imagine, rather painful.

There is an issue with Mumps in the UK right now because about 10 years ago they ran out of MMR vaccine and couldn't give the second dose to a bunch of kids...and so all these people in their mid-twenties are getting mumps now.

-Mike

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Heh, I've researched it already cause I suspected it might not be an ear infection (maybe the Uni Health service should have me as a doctor? I seem to figure out what I have before they do, usually...). I'm one of under 160 Germans per year to get it! Not that that does me any good, but you know...

I think in Germany there was a debate on whether the booster (the 2nd dose you get later in life) was necessary or not and some smartarse thought it wasn't wink

Well, with me working right next to the hospital I guess I might've caught it off anyone on the bus who was going to see a doctor there. So unfortunately I won't be able to find whoever gave it to me and torture them slowly wink

(G.W. Dahlquist)

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I hope the pain is little and the healing is fast hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!