Forums > Social Chat > Background Music in TV and Films

Login/Join to Participate

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yeah, another music thread, and an obscure one at that.

Motivation:
Lately I've been watching TV with a delicate ear for what music they're playing in the background. Shows like Law and Order SVU and other cop shows have been really cranking up the mood music in a sucessfully attempt to create drama.

I also just finished watching one of those BBC one shot 'plays' in the middle of the day (the last will and testiment of billy two sheds if you must know) and there was definitely a song in the background that was used in the background of a movie.

I always watch the dang show to the end (in this case it was kind of painful) and they never make any mention of the music.

I'm not talking about when they play a pop song in the background, they always (well sometimes) make mention of that, but when there's an instrumental piece or mood music they rarely list it.

I'm familiar with some of the big name film musicians (like my favorite Hanz Zimmer) that we all know and love (or at least know even though you don't know you know)... but have trouble finding most pieces, especially in TV shows. I know there are internet sites that list pop music in TV shows but never the instrumental 'mood' music.

Question:
Does anyone know of any/have any resources for such music? I don't even really know what genre I'm talking about. It's not ambient, it's not quite minimalist. Sometimes it's just a violin chord changing (Pretty much 80% of SVU) sometimes it's more recongnisable 'background' music.

Anybody know anything?

It's a bit obscure I know so I'll anticipate some silence. Or maybe just a low violin chord. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
NYC if the particular show has fansites, there will be ones that detail the music in every individual episode. Plus individual episode credits will list who was the particular composer for that episode.

Buffy has a few sites like that so best search for sites focusing on each TV show rather than a general 'Music in TV' site.

For films www.imdb.com biggrin is indispensible and will list the music used in the film in question.

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Last night was watching a programme from a docu-series about the coastguard.

Boy had fallen of some rocks in Cornwall, split his head open, had blood everywhere..and they played boyish pop/rock band music as they rushed him off to the first aid centre, whilst zooming in on the mother who was hyperventilating...
Very odd choice of music indeed...

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I have loads of music used in adverts & tv shows etc...

My dad was an advertiser and he got given loads of CD's by Xtreme music, these are not for public use, but my dad bought them home anyway,

And gave them to me.

I mean they're quite old now the ones i have - 4-5 years ols but i still hear one or two pieces i recognise from those CD's around now. Fly/Sly/Badman is used a lot on shows i used to watch.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I kinda figured there was a secret society of composers. I'll bet many of the shows have their own personal composers as well. That's why you sometimes hear 'Themesong played slowly' when the main character is sad and 'Themesong played quickly' when the main character is happy.

And neon, I think you'd need imdb pro to get actual music credits, unless I'm reading it wrong. Even then, I think that'd be only the preexisting pop songs that are played, not the stuff composed for the music.

*shrug*

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
If you want atmospheric 'film background' style music check out Susumu Yokota.

I have a copy of The Boy and The Tree...

Non-Https Image Link

and its a beautiful japanese atmospheric album.

I've not heard much of his other stuff but if the album I have is anything to go by then I think this might be what you are looking for.
smile

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

And neon, I think you'd need imdb pro to get actual music credits, unless I'm reading it wrong. Even then, I think that'd be only the preexisting pop songs that are played, not the stuff composed for the music.

*shrug*

For the sole composer of the film you'll need to go to 'Full Credits' for each film/TV show (the TV shows now have their own page for each episode)

The Soundtrack listing (if the film has any) will be listed under 'Fun Stuff' on the left hand side...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

artindorilmember
117 posts

Posted:
your other option is to go look in HMV (or other good music store) at their soundtrack section. You'll probably find what your looking for there, or order it if it exists.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Shaolin

Written by: NYC

*shrug*

For the sole composer of the film you'll need to go to 'Full Credits' for each film/TV show (the TV shows now have their own page for each episode)

I don't see that. At least for a show like Law and Order SVU. Either I'm not on 'pro' or it doesn't exist for the shows I'm looking at.

I mean, I KNOW that SVU uses a ton of 'mood music' and I don't see any mention of it anywhere.

Good suggestions though.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I just finished watching "The Truman Show" (Jim Carey's best by far) and was remarking to myself how good some of the background music was. Then in the credits it said that some of the music was custom written by Philip Glass.

I guess there really must be some secret underground 'mood music' circles that only those in the know are aware of.

I thought it would be great to get my hands on some of it but I guess it's one of those industry only kinda things.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

artindorilmember
117 posts

Posted:
You might be able to, Philip Glass is a modern composer and has realesed numerous cd's. I only know this cos my housemate has some of his work.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yeah, he's actually one of the more famous modern composers. That's why I was interested to find he'd worked on movies as well.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
NYC - If you're really after this music, i don't listen to my Xtreme music CD's anymore.

Next time i see you, or someone nearby is, i can give them all to you?

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

darkhorse445member
29 posts

Posted:
woow some one watches the afternoon plays!!! on bbc rock on NYC
sorry ppl but they are great soo funny

any way back to the point
what i hate are the songs you hear on ads or tv shows and its sooo recnisable but you don't know what it is

as i'm looking for one from bbc's shakespeare's re told taming of the shrew the bit where the opra woman goes off ?? an ideas

thank you

"O villain, villain, smiling, damned villain!"
shakespeare

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
*bump*
what would you call the theme music for "angel" or "john doe"?

not tv related but who does the album "birnahm wood"

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed