Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > nice finishing moves to put out fire?

Login/Join to Participate

icklepurklegirlmember
116 posts

Posted:
any ideas as to how to finish a performance and out out fire poi stylishly?
I can't spin them out for some reason (however fast i spin them), and as a chain smoking fiend, blowing them out seems not agree with my lungs...

-spinnin' to the rhythm of the new world order-

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
wee on them! smile

may be a pleaser with some of the crowd!

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
only trouble with that is trying to light them again afterwards....

best way to put out wicks (that dont want to be spun/blown out yet) i can think of is with some kind of fire blanket. maybe just put them into your pockets or something, and hope they go out... ubbrollsmile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Geeza

wee on them! smile

may be a pleaser with some of the crowd!

Wee on the poi heads or on the crowd...?

Here's an idea...You could buy kevlar gloves, perform with the gloves on, learn to throw the poi and catch the wick with your hand... Voila! Extinguishing the wicks with an actual move! biggrin

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
.. or you could spin for a rather longtime ..

.. or try kicking them suddenly (ie wall plane fwd weave, kick both on right foot as weaving from left to right) ..

smile

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
Id say the sexiest looking way to burn it off would be a long arm move. No flowers, just turning left and right with extended arms (as fast as a flaming bat from hell). Thats just my thought tongue

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
An old school spinner once said to me -
"do the weave, really fast, like this!"

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Mr_widdeat my face before i eat yours
253 posts

Posted:
i just do a lock out fast as i can and let go, and hope for the best.

SickWithWondermember
56 posts

Posted:
when the flames start dying, leg wraps in wrapid succession work well...and i cant [censored] spell....:(

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Are we talking putting out the flames as they start to die down ( what I call the buzzsaw phase of the burn) or at the "real" end of a burn? If it's the first, then I have no suggestions except a ceremonious application of the wet towel, but if it's really at the end then either a fast and hard wrap ( usually works, sometimes not though ) or smacking your poi hard on the ground from a kneeling position might do the trick too

I do like that word wrapid biggrin

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
about the kevlar gloves, they are not necessary to catch the poi head in your hand. it's a trick I do all the time. if the flame is low enough, it can be blown out as easy as candles on a birthday cake. I like to catch the poi head (but be careful not to touch any metal, the kevlar cloth itself doesn't get very hot) and either smother it between my hands or blow it out. you could also catch the poihead between your legs (while wearing denim as to avoid serious injury) and smother it with your inner thighs. have fun. life is boring, play with fire.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I put my wicks out in my armpits at the EJC.

devil

splintynewbie
21 posts

Posted:
ya must be very smooth since? i just go with a hand wrap on one of the poi and blow it out and then go with singular poi moves for a min til its near out

"If you roll a pencil is it still stationary?"

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
I've seen a lot of guys leg wrap them out at the very end of a burn.... but something about the leg angles there look awkward as the last sight in a burn when a guy does it. Might be easier for you: all you have to do is be curvy and sleek out the move..... and maybe watch out for your delicate bits. wink

"So long and thanks for all the fish."