GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
How do you finish off a burn to make the wicks last longer?

Are you suppose to dunk them in paraffin again and then squeeze them out or just leave them and not re-dunk?

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
theres a lot of info on the site already but...

1) put them out before the fuel runs out (a fire blanket is really handy for this - or a large lung capacity).

2) dip them in paraffin again.

3) leave them to drain (dont try to squeeze the liquid out of the wick - it may still be hot and you dont want to flex the kevlar unneccessarily - also paraffin usually contains naptha and you dont really want it on your skin)

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
thanks, so i will be needing a type of metal sieve to catch excess paraffin in (which im presuming can be used again?)

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I usually just leave my poi hanging on the edge of the dipping pot until the stop dripping. You can then pour anything thats left over back into the bottle.

smile

CrunchySaviourSILVER Member
16 posts

Posted:
I do the following (be it good or bad practice) with my HoP cathedrals:

-Extinguish by smothering with damp towel - this also cools the metal bits a little. I extinguish after the "bright" phase of burning has finished and the wicks are burning with a smaller, bluer flame.
-Put wicks in dipping tin, pour on paraffin and leave to soak - this stops any smouldering and ensures the wicks are always impregnated with fuel.
- Squeeze out most of the excess fuel wearing disposable gloves. Latex ones are weakened by the paraffin and end up splitting easily. Nitrile ones seem to last longer - I don't know if they actually do, but they certainly seem to.

I've only had the poi a few weeks and have only done about 10-15 burns with them, so I can't comment on longevity.

"Where war yuo Cruanchy Savior?"
"I DONT KNOW!!!!111111111111111"

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
ditto

although sometimes I spin them out (when the fuel is running out, but the flame is still reasonable, spin really, really fast until they essentially blow out) before I dunk them in fuel.
If I am not spinning again straight away I won't squeeze them, just let them drip.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
i can't be bothered with dipping my wicks again after i've finished spinning shrug

i smell bad enough as it is on the journey home without making matters worse carrying around dipped wick.

I saw an "incident" with some "post-burn dipped" poi which were subsequently stored in a sealed container. The paraffin spread through the poi, and into the handles.

When next burned the poi had a lovely "flames at both ends" effect, that was marginally spoiled by the wielder having to stop spinning, throw them on the ground and jump on the handles till they went out.

Anecdotal evidence and common sense indicate that post-burn dipping does preserve wicks a bit, but considering all the paraffin you'll waste, i don't reckon it'd be cost-effective. Well, unless you're using other people's paraffin...

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
post burn dipped wicks are useful thou.

When walking around town and some total ned asks you to spin with fire in broad daylight, you can hit them with a burning implement, instead of a non-burning one. Result!

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
dipping after a burn stops them smouldering.

I carry mine in a watertight canister and *remove* the chains and handles.

I don't believe the paraffin is wasted, as you burn it when you next burn. Any that soaks through to the core might not burn, but that only needs to happen once and then it's saturated, so you don't waste fuel every time.

CrunchySaviourSILVER Member
16 posts

Posted:
I put my wicks into a ziplock "freezer bag" with a rag to soak up excess fuel, with chains attached, then I twist the bag tight around the chains after the wicks and secure it with a rubber band. Then I put the whole lot (wicks, chains and handles and all) into another ziplock freezer bag and close the ziplock. These bags are pretty much airtight.

I carry the whole fire kit in a rectangular paint bucket the size of a picnic cool-box. When I get a smaller dipping tin and a smaller container for the paraffin, I'll be able to actually put the lid on the box!

"Where war yuo Cruanchy Savior?"
"I DONT KNOW!!!!111111111111111"

3,149 posts

Posted:
 Written by: kash

I don't believe the paraffin is wasted, as you burn it when you next burn.

unless it all evaporates, as paraffin is wont to do, particularly when it's on something hot (like recently burned wicks).

The smouldering has always stopped on my wicks pretty fast without having to dip.

Not saying you shouldn't dunk them, or that it isn't beneficial to your poi at all. Just saying i see it as a pain in the arse and not really essential.

my experience has been: i generally don't bother to re-dip unless i'm gonna burn again that night. i've never had to replace wicks on any of my equipment, some of which has been pretty well used over a period of years.

Having said that, my nesbit staff cathedral-wicks are getting pretty tatty these days. But they are only ickle, and about 4 years old by now.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
thanks. ive been burning then re-dunking. damn monkey fists eat fuel for breakfast. I'll try burning again a few days later without dunking at the start (just using up the soaking in paraffin from before)

cheers

ubersmackSILVER Member
journeyman
73 posts

Posted:
Since I am somewhat new here..

I just use regular fuel (coleman camp fuel or tiki torch fuel), never smoulders. Is parafin better or something? Ive never heard of any of this yet, everyone I know uses the same type of fuel with much less hastle.. Just wondering.. smile

"Runs with Scissors"

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
Uber, As far as I know, tiki torch fuel is just lamp oil which is the same thing as paraffin. The stuff i'm using at the moment I got from a DIY store and is labelled "torch oil".

3,149 posts

Posted:
Lamp oil is basically the same stuff as paraffin. But it depends what brand\type. Some lamp oils are nasty and will burn you on contact.

fuel safety info

to find out about any particular fuel you're using, i recommend you search for the MSDS on the net.

And take anything anyone (including me) says on these forums about fuels with a big pinch of salt. Check the facts yourself. And be aware that names can change for fuels depending on what country you're in. Two fuels called the same thing can actually have very different properties.

shootingstarnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
I've only done one burn and now my wicks are all nasty and black. I thought I had followed the instructions right. I smothered them with a damp towel and then re-dipped them.

Are black wicks a factor of life? I appreciate they won't look box fresh forever but I was surprised at how burned they looked after one 5 minute spin.

(I soaked them for over an hour beforehand lighting them as it was the first time I used them).

Phoenix327BRONZE Member
6 posts

Posted:
I have monkey fist poi. Are other wicks better? Or is it just preference?

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
shootingstar. They most likely arn't burned, they are just coated in soot. You can wipe if off and see the kevlar undamaged underneath. The soot is a product of the incomplete combustion of the fuel, it doesn't mean that your wicks are burning.
Don't try to clean them though, as you are more likely to damage them. You can wipe the excess off with a kitchen towel if you like I guess.

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Phoenix327

I have monkey fist poi. Are other wicks better? Or is it just preference?

better than what? define better

There is more kevlar than cathedral thats why they cost more, and they give a bigger flame and burn longer.

However they eat fuel up fast