Forums > Help! > My 1st Performance-Need Advice!!!!!

Login/Join to Participate

HaadRinPoi06SILVER Member
20 posts

Posted:
Hello.....i need help!! fast!!

My sister very kindly asked me to perform my poi at her wedding next month infront of my whole family (very big one 2!!) and her fiances family (Cypriot so also massive!!). She's never seen me perform but my mum has told her im ok, ive never done it with fire, and am tempted to get some proper practice in before i have to do it infront of everyone, but im a little confused about some things.

First of all....how long does the flame usually last, and will it go out if i spin them too fast?

Do i have to get new poi ends after lighting them once, or do they last a while (prolly stupid Q i know, but arghhhh!)?

And Is it likely that the chains will snap? coz i have alot of babbys and oldys in the crowd and dont want to be lobbing fire balls at them ubbangel

I sound like a right worry wart but im nervous and i want to do well, especially as my boyfriend will b my saftey spotter ubblove but nevertheless i dont want to kill anyone or myself in the process biggrin

Any kind of help/advice/warnings will be extremely appreciated and i am absolutely desperate for any kind of feedback!

Thank you hug

Clo xXx

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Heya, you will need to spend quite a lot of time practicing with fire before doing a show with it, so get yourself a pair of good quality fire poi and begin practicing imediately, with the fuel and specific poi you will be using, and with your fire safety present. That will answer most of your questions right there.

But basically, no you will not need new heads, and no, the chains should not snap- if you have good quality- and the spin will last anywhere fro 3-7 minutes depending on size and fuel etc. You should watch the safety vids on HOP, and the spin off one which is either here or available at www.playpoi.com.

Pay attention to the fabric you wear in your costume, safe options are covered well in the safety section on HOP. Hair covered or back is wise. Make sure you have clear level ground to spin on, with sufficient space around and overhead. Watch out for drunk people,theya re attracked to the fire like moths to the light and can get into dangerous positions!

Research some more, find an expereinced fire spinner in your area to show you the ropes, and practice til youa re comfortable. Alternatively, use flags or something that is beautiful but does not have all the safety/expereince issues!
Good luck and have fun!
smiles
a

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Just noticed you have the title Haad Rin poi. Most thai poi sold there are crap and will!!! actually fall apart and go flinging into the audience. The wick they use is often toxic too. So if that is the poi you have, get new ones!

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
wave Chloe

Have you seen this thread?

[Old link]

Your welcome to come and join us on sunday nights, were all very friendly and happy help you out/answer any questions you have

Motley

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Have they specifically asked you to spin fire or just to spin? If they haven't asked for fire I'd say get yourself a pretty set of LED poi and do the show with those. That way you have no fear of setting anyone on fire and you can just enjoy showing your family beauty of poi spinning.

I say this because as you say, you have never spun fire before and the questions you asked lead me to think that you don't have any experience of being around anyone who has spun fire. Spinning fire is very different to spinning non-fire poi. It gives you an adrenaline rush, that when you first start out, leaves you unable to perform the most simple moves even though you know you can do them unlit, with your eyes shut. It takes time to build your confidence so that you feel comfortable spinning with fire. Those nerves added to the ones you will have about doing your first show.... well I think it would be better to spin LED poi for now.

Get out and practice long and hard with fire before you start thinking about doing public shows with it.

Good Luck hug I hope you have a wonderful day.

P.S. If you get some pretty flag poi that match the colours of the bridesmaids dresses you could spin in the day time too.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

20 posts

Posted:
O Poo! I did buy them in Ko Pha Ngan, and i did think about whether they'd be good enough but practically everyone we met who poi'd used ones they had bought in Thailand! O Well, guess its better 2 b safe than sorry!

Thanx for ur advice btw i am soooo grateful....i still wana do it with fire, but i guess i'll just have 2 practice alot! Its a night time wedding coz its in Cyprus, so i dnt really wna do flags, and plus she has belly dancers and big scary turkish drum bands, and i think fire just kinda goes with the theme abit, dnt u? Anyway, i'll practice and come closer 2 the night i'll hav 2 decided whether i feel rite or not......but thank you very very much nevertheless.

Cheers! hug

Clo x

20 posts

Posted:
wavehello Thanx for ur advice! No i havent really had n e experience with fire apart from sitting around one being a bit of a hippy or watching a load of thai guys go crazy on a beach, thats about it! But the thing is, its a nite time wedding in Cyprus, so i need something that will show up well in the dark, but LED's dont really give the same effect, u know like the Wow factor!

I really really wana do it with fire frown

Never mind....i'll just practice my bum off n see closer 2 the time me thinks.....but thank u very very much for ur advice! biggrin

Clo xx

peace

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
practice practice practice practice practice NOW!!! If you don't want to:

a) Burn yourself
b) Burn some one else

or

c) Look rubbish and disolve any wow factor you might have had by
i) Not having a decent routine
ii) Not having enough skill
iii) Or the experience to make it work 'off the cuff'

You really need to get a few hours in ON FIRE! You want to give a good performance but you have to learn how first, I don't want to sound harsh but without lots of hours and some experience it just won't work, especially for an important event like this.
The key to impressing a crowd of people who've never seen it before, spin quickly wink ubblol

Good luck dude, I hope it goes really well hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Dont forget to have a laugh...

And dont worry about impressing people with technical skill and fancy tricks.

Simple tricks done with planty of heart, a big smile and a load of bounce are always a pleasure to watch.

good luck wink

a

Love is the law.

20 posts

Posted:
Very good advice! Thanx guys!

I know i'm probably being irresponsible coz i dont have enough practice but i think i'm still goin 2 go ahead with the performance....obviously im gna practice my backside off till i hate my poi (unlikely coz i love them but meh!), but i just dnt wna miss the oppurtunity to show my family i can do something really cool, and also to get the experience under my belt.

I respect fire and i'm so very aware that it is not in anybodys control no matter what the situation and i will bear that in mind constantly....but i will also have so much fun!!! n i can't wait.

thank u all so much for ur advice! biggrin

Muchly appreciated hug

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
practice moves unlit, practice getting used to fire as well

just remember what the weave looks like to people who have never seen it before (damn awesomeweavesmiley).

stick to moves that you can do without anymistakes, good luck and enjoy

oh, and i'd say buy some poi off here, at least they are safe and dont fall apart as long as used correctly
EDITED_BY: FireByNite (1154123466)

Are you up for it?
wink;)