Page: ...
mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
yay! A thread on Anti-Spin weaves!

So I was just thinking about them. Simian can probably think better about them, but I was bored so I posted this.

(I think) the default anti-spin weave is the anti-spinised equivalent of doing constantly translated isolations. ie: you're just isolating in one direction in front of you, doing the normal one bit iso, and constantly translating the staffs. (changing the ends that are 'together')

Sometimes my anti-spin weave has a few extra beats in it, as if you were folding the staffs under your arms in the 'non-anti-spin' version of the weave.

So after a comment by ben, I thought about the other obvious variations on anti-spinning isolations:

Anti-spinning the 'giant' staff created by the isolation. (very difficult, unless you have small sticks / huge arms.)

Anti-spinning just one of the staffs and getting the other to follow it. (Kinda weird feeling, not sure if it's visually effective yet.)

Moving the center of the isolation in a circle and anti-spinning on that.

Anti-spinning both of them and just having a quarter / half rotation of isolation in the 'middle' of the movement.

oh wait, I think the caffiene just ran out.

Questions: What about butterfly?

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Chronofracture333Hobo Gaylord
329 posts

Posted:
Actually I think you can trace out a (bendy) triforce with a fire staff. You can make an equilateral triangles with convex sides by isolating one end of the staff whilst moving the staff through 60 degrees (repeat three times).
So the hand path would consist of four concave triangles a quarter of the size rotated through 60 degrees and joined at the points not along the sides.

Not sure you could do a sierpinski gasket though because of the larger negative spaces joining the triforces.

Right, and to be slightly on topic, any thoughts on patterns combining normal and anti-spin?

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

"Oooh, what a shiny new move!"

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
yesh: get rid of normal and only do anti-spin. And reply to your pm's!

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Chrono333

Right, and to be slightly on topic, any thoughts on patterns combining normal and anti-spin?

well you can reverse one rotation, or the other, innit?

Reverse the rotation around the staff centre, and you get funny "bouncy" looking patterns, see the pic in Megs gallery, or the thingummy in mine, to get some idea of trails and general shape.

i'm finding with doubles that opposite direction stuff looks prettier than same direction for doing that type of thing.

These ones don't feel intuitive AT ALL. I'm kinda starting to feel a sort of momentum to them now, but only just...

Alternatively, you can reverse the larger hand circle, keeping the staff rotation constant. it's easy to start getting wierd funky machine looking patterns that look like you're stuck in some kind of loop.

And of course you can mess with switching rotations after every full circle, half circle, third, quarter etc etc...

hmmm... or switching which rotation you're switching. Haven't tried that. Really really want to now, but i'm at work with no sticks frown

Where's my biro? wink

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Hmm nice idea. Mixing changing staff direction with changing arm direction. Spin, anti-spin and isolation, together at last!

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Was playing with these last night. Weird and very cool. some nice poly rythmic patterns to be had with opposite directions

I started here

One hand doing antispin, other hand doing a long arm one beat.

So your hands travel in the same pattern as same direction fig8's.

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
simians box:

Non-Https Image Link

Anti-spin 45 degrees

Non-Https Image Link

anti-spin + anti-spin along a cross shape, 3/4 of a full spin... (part) Inspired by archimedes trammel. (again)

Non-Https Image Link

full:

Non-Https Image Link

the above with a quarter spin in place of a 3/4 spin:

Non-Https Image Link

the above with a 'spin' quarter spin along the cross line.

Non-Https Image Link

poly-rhythm, anti-spin on bottom, 3/4 normal spin on top, longarm.

Non-Https Image Link

quartered this time:

Non-Https Image Link

the full thing:

Non-Https Image Link

r-types for teh win!

Non-Https Image Link

couldn't quarter an r-type, so instead is a quarter of r-type, then a quick quarter spin on the spot then a quarter anti-spin.

Non-Https Image Link

maybe I will get around to the hand and wick trails sometime soon-ish...

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Dude, I'm so sending your boss a link to this page...

monkeys ate my brain

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Meg... I totally ubblove you.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UmbiliciformCraterOnFace

ubblol

Meg... I totally ubblove you.

not as much as me - look:

ubblove ubblove ubblove

tongue

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

3,149 posts

Posted:
Surely this one

Non-Https Image Link

is just a dodgily timed antisuper-spin circle tongue wink

and if you turn it upside down and look at the wick trails...

aww it's the big heart i was talking about. Quite fitting what with all the little ubblove thingys flying about.

Personally i don't ubblove meg AT ALL. She is mean and nasty and totally from Scotland. Thus my feelings toward her are far more umm tongue ubbloco

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
It's totally not a heart dude. Unless you do it badly. You should learn how to SEE.

I do not recognise the juggling or flashing of simians. tongue

it's an R-TYPE!

3,149 posts

Posted:
nah don't believe you for a moment. Dodgily timed anti-super, that's what that is tongue

and yeah ok, the heart shape is a bit very dodgy. The spin version is much better proportioned.

imakokodemember
121 posts

Posted:
Argh, I'm late, I can read all this thread, but the shemas are so inspiring !! nice work Megh !! and Simian hug did you guys made any vidz of this ? tongue

>> all is full of love <<

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
long doubles antispin is awesomely mind bending biggrin thanks for all the ideas

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by ben-ja-men

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
magic stuff ben biggrin hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
was playing around trying to do anti spin with a cross where only one stick antispins in front of you and the other kinda stays horizontal translating up and down while spinning in circles, it hurt my brain alot .... i think it will look sick as if it ever works

imakokodemember
121 posts

Posted:
yeah great stuff ! anti spin must be done very quick so the eye can see the drawing fire lines ^^ do you practice the first trick as fast as the second?

I did a short Vid at BM06 with some antispin moves but... very slow ubblol!! and not clean at all biggrin mostly cause I broke one of my tiny staves there, so it's reall difficult to do the same with 20 cm more wink

>> Here you go

>> all is full of love <<

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
ubblove

biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
loverly, thanks julien!

Love is the law.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
so i was at alton towers and got antispun

https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=13729

i think ride designers should take up spinning - imagine all the other possibilities!! biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
triangle stupidity:

https://videos.tepookatoys.com/media/private/triangle.wmv

ubblol

3,149 posts

Posted:
ooh nice triangles. super antispin innit? or possibly anti superspin... confused

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
you can see how long it's taking my brain to process what I have to do next / am doing. ubblol

I like it because you don't have to use fingerspins... biggrin

3,149 posts

Posted:
you usually use fingerspins?

BURN HER!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
NOOOOOOOOOO!

and no! Of course I don't! It's just with say imakokode's pentagon and octagon anti-spin, you have to use fingerspins. And they're still cool, but this one, doesn't use finger-spins which is nice too.

I mean really: anti-spin is what makes fingerspinning okay... y'know?

3,149 posts

Posted:
you definitely don't need fingerspins for pentagons, just a shotgunny wrist twist

i very much doubt you need them for octagons either

triangle fig 8s are wierd, they feel like fishtails

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
eek

bollox to the move - check out you hair! biggrin

been playing with triangles myself - high low weaving making triangles - looks sweeet - not tried antispinning them yet though.

Will do this weekend biggrin

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yeah I know. It's GONE. The hair is GONE. Might as well post lab 05.1 now that the cat is out of the bag... smile

You need fingerspins if you want the shapes to stay in front of you. Otherwise not. (not sure on the octagon front... )

shaySILVER Member
stranger
17 posts

Posted:
check this out:

Page: ...