Ariochnewbie
1 post

Posted:
Hey guys, I've heard of the 7-beat weave but can find no videos of it or anybody else that can do it. I've read through a few threads on here and read various directions but I really need to see it to have a go.
Any help?

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
The first step is to either detatch your shoulders or grow extra elbows wink Can you do a five beat? In principle a 7 beat is the same, you just twist up more. Having said that I can't do it either so I'm not going to be of much help. [skulks off back to his corner]

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Its also a pretty pointless move (IMHO), and is generally only done when people are asked "hey can you do a 7 beat?".. then they try it and say.. "why yes I can".

Other than that, its just plain ugly.

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
But there's a video here if you like.... biggrin

https://www.motsplace.com/poi/list.html

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
Oh and warm up and strech load otherwise you may damage yourself... biggrin

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
have fun with your shoulders popping out!

enjoymionewbie
4 posts

Posted:
i can do it (ahh the advantage of being a skinny double jointed runt) but i only did it so i can say i did. other than that, i don't see any use for it haha

MuskelungeGOLD Member
55 posts

Posted:
It's easier and almost more useful just to figure out how to fake it really well.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

jameson_stlSILVER Member
4 posts

Posted:
I concur. 7beat is ugly, and only used for braging rights.
The usual way I've seen it done is not actually a 7beat weave. there are 7 rotations involved, but the final two are done by tangling the chains/socks/whatever, and allowing them to untangle on the otherside, then tangle again at the end. That's not actually "weaving" its a "controled tangle".

The way I pull off the 7beat is also not a true weave. I prefer (because it looks cleaner, prettier, and more visualy stimulating) to do 7beat by completely wraping one poi around the opposite hand, then allowing it to unwrap on the other side, then wrap again with the other hand, etc, etc. Its more of a 7beat with wrap. When doing a clean 5beat you should already be slightly wraping one poi on one hand, but only about 1/2 a wrap cuz it comes off on the otherside before it completes the wrap. In my version of the 7beat you just let it wrap completely, continue another rotation with the other hand, then transition to the other side. It takes a while to get used to, but it looks cool to a spectator cuz one poi gets shorter for a rotation, then goes back out, then the other comes in, then back out. If you can pull it off in F and R then you can turn and turn, wrap and unwrap, and allways have one poi wraping or unwraping on one hand or the other contunuously. Serriously sick weave action goin on like that, you actually feel like you've woven yourself into your poi moves.

I should shoot some video of that.

j~

MuskelungeGOLD Member
55 posts

Posted:
I don't know, Jameson. My 5-beat weave comes out clean.
But I agree. The only way to get a nice-looking 7-beat is to use a through-wrap.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

jameson_stlSILVER Member
4 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Muskelunge

I don't know, Jameson. My 5-beat weave comes out clean.

Are you disagreeing with me? I can't seem do decifer it.

j~

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
yes he's disagreeing with you.

you're doing a 5beat with a through wrap

at no point should the poi body touch your arms

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
7 beats are useful, forward and reverse... the only way you can really consider them useless is if you don't know how to use them. one way of doing a 7 beat weave is to touch the palms of your hands together after you wrap one arm around the other and twist your body if you must. when you learn how to just really mess with what appears to be the speed of the poi (i.e. switching between 2 up to a 7 beat) your spectators become confused as to what your hands are doing. saying "there's no way of doing a clean 7 beat" or "the 7 beat is useless and ugly " are childish statements. it's not that it's not possible, it's that you don't yet understand it. keep working on it and thinking about it and maybe, someday, it will come to you.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Watch "Drew and Stick" and read the writing. ubblol
I rest my case.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jaero

saying "there's no way of doing a clean 7 beat" or "the 7 beat is useless and ugly " are childish statements. it's not that it's not possible, it's that you don't yet understand it.

I understand it just fine, but I still think it's a horrible looking move.

Also, keep working on it and thinking about it and maybe, someday, it will come to you that some people don't like posts with a really condescending tone.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
sorry bov, but i agree with Jaero 100%

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
The way I look at it, saying that a move looks ugly or not is purely down to aesthetics.

Saying that I'm childish for thinking a 7 beat weave looks ugly is like saying that you're childish if you don't like the ceiling of the sistine chapel.

I have a certain amount of appreciation for the technical difficulty, but I don't particularly like the way either of them look, that's nothing to do with being childish, just the kind of aesthetics that I like.
Alongside the tone of the whole post, I find it incredably insulting to label everyone who has a differing view on what makes a move look good as childish, as well as telling them to just keep at it and eventually they'll have their own epiphany.

Bah, I can feel myself starting to rant again so I think I'll stop here.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
/me passes Bovril some peacebloom...

wink

fire puppyBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
It dose not matter what it looks like if it feels good do it. Its all about flow I mean unless your trying to take photos or performing for others it really dont matter

the Only good way to quit smoking is to cut your arms off, but then how would you drink coffee?

ThepoiboyoflittledoomBRONZE Member
13 posts

Posted:
my bro(Drudwyn) says that he does half of the 7 beat and then comes out and does other things just 2 put as many circles as possible in 1 place

Hey you, yeah you, I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE!!!! MUAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I like saying that.

fire puppyBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
circles are fun i like them muchly

the Only good way to quit smoking is to cut your arms off, but then how would you drink coffee?

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
mwahahahaaa.
i can't dance half so well if i don't do 7s...
those butterfly ones though, they're only for bragging rights.

--ben