Page:
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I wonder how many HOPers were raised speaking two languages.

My parents were much older (43 and 56) when I was born and had a housekeeper who lived with us. She was from Spain. Tina is a part of our family, although no money has exchanged hands in decades. Her birthday is tomorrow.

She gave me the greatest gift you can ever give a child: a language. On my mother's request, Tina never used a word of English with me. I speak Spanish as a first language. But I was raised and educated in English. I love English as a language and I love its fluidity and its elegance. Maybe this is why I love listening to people speaking foreign languages.

But even though I love English, I think Spanish is among the most beautiful, elegantly simple, poetic, musical languages in the world. And I love listening to it, using it, and thinking in it. It's as good for love poetry as it is for the bible as it is for screaming curses at someone as fast as you can. It is so...complete as a lanuage.

Stand near me when I'm counting and you'll hear una, doh, tréh.. (I have a variant Extremeño accent; I don't pronounce my final s). It catches other Spanish-speakers completely off-guard because I don't look remotely the type. Imagine an older indian man in indian garb busting out in a perfect Somerset accent. It just doesn't fit the appearance.

I woke up this morning and ordered coffee from the Mexican lady at the bakery, asked after her kids, cooed over her latest baby pictures (I'm trying to get her to start bringing her kids to me). And then I spent the day among Spanish-speakers, A Colombian, three Spaniards, three or four Puerto Ricans, and two Dominicans. I used Spanish with reckless abandon, I used it with cashiers knowing that they'd never accuse me of being a racist gringo for presuming they couldn't speak English, I laughed in Spanish, joked in Spanish, flirted in Spanish, and let's just say that I have a soft-spot for men who speak Spanish as a first language. redface

Are there other bilingual HOPers? What languages do you speak? How did you learn them? What language do you use to think? Which is your favorite language? I don't know if non-bilingual HOPers get this passion for language that I do...or if other bilingual ones do.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Envie, sort of. I find that sometimes I am signing with what I say. While most people will excuse it as crazy hand gestures, it happens and it gets me fun looks too! wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Sign language is my favorite language in the world. I love watching people use it, but it's rude to stare...

-Mike

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I love watching people do American Sign language it is all one handed.....

Australian and Bristish is two handed and it is a lot different.

I learnt how to do Australian Sign Language at College but never had need to use it till on my flight back to Oz there was a deaf couple on our flight...we got delayed in Brunei....

So every time they announced something about our flight I made a point of going over and informing this couple of the changes....they were very grateful to me for it....and it made me feel like I had done my good deed for the day! biggrin

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
is sign language different in italian than english or does it all mean the same?

i was thinking this a few months ago when i saw two people singing to each other in the market in the city.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
sign languages are different in each language.

and interestingly enough, so is braille!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

FlamezBRONZE Member
56 posts

Posted:
I can speak four languages!!! Never even realized it until i read this thread, thanx doc!!

First language - Afrikaans (I stay in South Africa, and my father is afrikaans)
First language - Engish (Well had it as a first language at school, and it is the language of most of my friends)
First language - Dutch (My mother was born in the Netherlands, and it is the only language my gran can speak)
Seccond language - Xhosa (Well i stay in Africa might as well learn an African language lol)

I would love to be able to speak Italian, it sounds lovely(I dont understand a word except for a few swearwords).
The other language i would love to speak fluantly is German, ive sat in the company of Germans and just the way the words roll out of ther mouths sounds magical.With my Dutch background i can make out what they say, but only if they speak slowly.

Strangest thing of all, Afrikaans and Dutch is almost alike, but if i was speaking Dutch for a while i have real difficulty switching back to Afrikaans, i keep confusing it with English!! ubbloco

"My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely."

"Insanity is my only means of relaxation."

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
how do you go with speaking Xhosa with the clicks? can you actually produce them correctly? Or because it's not your native language do you have trouble differentiating the soounds?

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

FlamezBRONZE Member
56 posts

Posted:
Its actually simple, theres only three different clicks.

Once you know them it becomes seccond nature.
When i was very little we had a maid that taught me Xhosa.I am very thankfull for that, cause in SA we have 11 official languages, and i only know of three that dont use the clicks, afrikaans, english and zulu.

The best when i go to the garage to fill up the car, i speak to the petrol attendant in Xhosa. You should see their expressions!!! Here is this white girl, driving around in this lanie car(my dad's) and she is actualy speaking their native language!!

"My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely."

"Insanity is my only means of relaxation."

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
yeah, if you had a maid who spoke it to you, that would make it possibly for you to be able to understand the differences.
*will stop analysing your linguistical ability now* tongue

rhi_bmember
51 posts

Posted:
i was born in wales and went to a welsh school so was taught welsh as my first language but we all speak english at home so ye biggrin

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
First language is English, learned Canadian school system French, which is to say quite little, and then lost all my french to German. Now my German is going because I simply don't use it. Ever. It's sad, but it's getting to the point where I'm reluctant to use it for fear of how bad it's gotten!!

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
Was brought up in Dutch and French. Father only spoke Dutch to me, mother only French. Used to speak Arabic when I was little, from our holidays in Morocco but I forgot most of it except the basics. I started learning English when I was six. Had German and Spanish at school but I'm not really fluent in those. I'd love to learn Portuguese.

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'm jealous of Firetramp.

-Mike

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
heh, I just woke up from a dream in which I spoke German but with English grammar ubblol

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
I can speak basic English and am quite fluent in Chinese (Cantonese). I really should get good on Mandarian (another Chinese dialect) since most Chinese speak that and it would really come in handy if I ever want to visit China.

I am also dying for a third language. Was thinking about German because of its Viking root. Welsh sounds like an interesting language because of its Celtic heritage and Spain is another widely spoken language so that would be nice to know as well.

Why let your body be a temple? When it can be a theme park?

Wii Console Number: 3294 0297 7824 7498

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Nekdy se mi zda, ze anglictinu ovladam daleko lepe,

nez cestinu, svuj jazyk matersky.

svetlo,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I suppose it would be terribly ironic of me to ask for an English translation? wink

Had a very English day today. Not a single friggin' word of Spanish except that I have my computer and phone set to Spanish.

-Mike

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
does that mean you read hop in spanish? confused

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
hahaha!

Think of some of the really badly spelt txtspeak-posts with no punctuation put through a Spanish translator ubblol

nah, it means your menus are in Spanish, and if the computer tells you there is a problem and it'd like to shut down it'll do it in Spanish

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
oh, how unamazing.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mr Majestik

does that mean you read hop in spanish? confused

No no no. But for example, instead of "File," "Edit," "View" my menus are "Archivo," "Edición," "Vizualización," etc.

-Mike

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
indeedy, we already cleared that up wink

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So I had a very Spanish weekend. BF and I went to see "PAN'S LABRYNTH" on Friday night. The movie is from Spain and it was so refreshing to hear my own accent being spoken. Highly recommend it: watch out beacuse it gets a bit gory in bits. Then last night we went to see a play completely in Spanish (English Supertitles, but they were at such an angle that I really couldn't read them even if I'd needed to). It's called "En Un Sol Amarillo" ("In a Yellow Sun") about the Bolivian earthquake of 1998. Then we went for Spanish food. And then I dreamed in Spanish.

-Mike

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Medusa

I love watching people do American Sign language it is all one handed.....

I was just rereading this on the bump (thanks Mike and sounds like a good weekend! I've been jonesing for Paella and that made it worst! lol) and I read this statement and confused

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

SaBBaSenthusiast
215 posts

Posted:
My father is german, my mother is swedish and i live in spain smile its a shame i didnt accept my mother speaking swedish to me, because i had only heard her speak german before, so she didnt sound like my mum to me... but i learned swedish after i finished school, im not perfect, but i can have a decent conversation (i think wink ) my english isnt bad either, but for that i have to than Monty Python wink
i went to a german school in madrid, where all the classes were in german, except the spanish lessons smile
i took a french course for one year, but it got mixed up with my swedish, so now i only speak "false" french with a friend when we're drunk biggrin
i usually think in spanish, but when i have to count in pairs i do it in german smile
my gf says i dream in german, cause when i speak in my dreams she doesnt understand me (which could always be good)
mike: pans labyrinth is a great movie! i loved it, but the gory parts were a bit too much for my gf rolleyes

Don't you destroy your enemy by making him your friend?? - Rev Bem (Magog), Andromeda

SaBBaSenthusiast
215 posts

Posted:
oooooh, and i sooooooo want to learn sign language!!! i love the way it looks, and ive got two friends who know it, so i could practice. i think it would come REALLY handy in any pub with loud music smile
its really a shame its not the same all over the world, and at least in madrid, not even in different schools... frown

Don't you destroy your enemy by making him your friend?? - Rev Bem (Magog), Andromeda

Page: