DigitalSILVER Member
7 posts

Posted:
I want take up fire poi, but I have absolutly no experince what so ever. I have been doing research and watching tutorials all over the web, and Ive decided its a definat yes. Being aware of risks of setting myself ablaze im not in a rush to light up, but I feel inclined to learn with wicks as apposed to balls or the fluffy practice sets. I know im goign to smack myself plenty of times while learning, and its not goign to feel goodswinging a giant knot into my face, but I THINK it would be better to learn with the minimal weight Id like to be useing. Makeing an already long story short, Is there an advantage to learning with a light set over a "full weight" set (aside the black eyes)?

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
for me I found that even though I could learn quite a few moves with a ligth weight "practice" set, there were a few moves which came a lot easier with me only when I had a "fire poi" set -heavier.

I still found no problem learning moves with a "practice set (made out of newspaper, plastic bags and string) then moving to the fire poi when I got them 3 weeks later

I'd say make a cheap set of practice ones before you but fire poi and good luck not hitting yourself biggrin

If you want to learn with wicks, either put up with the pain (ouch) or put small socks over the end of the wicks

Are you up for it?
wink;)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Dear Sir or Madam,
It is with warmest wishes that I welcome you to the digital landscape that is Home Of Poi. Please take care not to step on the grass with shoes on, you may hurt it.

I would like to advise you not to go right ahead and use light poi (aka. "swingy things"), but to first find a wight you feel best with.
Light poi (aka. those fings wot you spin) have a tendancy of a) being too light and b) not having any weight to them. Although many would argue that these are one and the same, I for one, would not.

You need weighty poi (aka. balls on ropes) so you can "feel" where the poi are.
You need heavy poi to stop them escaping the earths gravitational pull. If your poi are too light, they will eventually float upwards into the heavens.

I would also suggest getting two knee length socks and a bag o' Anneka Rice.
Put some of her in each of the ends and try spinning, until you feel a weight you are comfortable with.
Then go drink tea.

But to actually answer your question, I, personally, would not say there was any advantage over using lighter poi.

Then again, I do tend to prefer to have my poi (aka. Netharu's firey octopus arms of death) slightly on the heavy side.
And this is all in my own opinion anyway, some may disagree.
(disagree with what I have said, not disagree that it is only my opinion).
(then again, they might)

I await your reply with baited breasts and a fine tupee worn slightly off-centre. ubbrollsmile

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
love the way you put that UCOF ubblol

Are you up for it?
wink;)

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
Why don't you fill up a pair of long socks with softer stuff/same weight of real poi? Then you don't have issues of weight change, and besides, knee length socks are stylo to wear.

I made the mistake of refusing practice poi in the beginning, and suffered the consequences. Trust me, certain new moves, such as behind the back chase with pirrouettes WILL result in black eyes when using the real thing at the akward learning stage.

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
socks with tennis balls in, as you get better but 100 or 135gram juggling balls in, that or get glow poi. then move to fire. ive been spinning about 2 months and wouldnt really want to spin fire yet. (I want to though!)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
(Ucof thinks tennis balls are waaay too light in socks) tongue
(he recommends cannonballs on silk thread)

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
I used money bags of sand in my socks.

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah