Forums > Social Discussion > IJA Festival/WJF: Indy article and comment

Login/Join to Participate

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i read the link and everything seemed fine and dandy.

i think the comment about Olympic Juggling being Frivilousis, to be frank, stupid. if people want to put the time and effort to be in competitions then it certainly warrants the recognition of a sporting body like the IOC.

i play some footbag and from my view the situation with footbag is what Juggling is becoming. FootBag is the proper name for 'hackie sack'(which is a brand of footbag) and while you can go anywhere in the world and see people happily kicking a hemp bag around and having fun there are also people who train at it regularly and get insanely good, then go in world wide competitions.

the thing is the Footbag situation is really not all that big a deal, some people like to kick with friends and some people like to be insanely good. today (as i do most saturdays) i went and played footbag with a very talented friend who always encourages me to play more, but i chose some juggling as well just because i enjoy both. he was fine with that and continued practicing and we even just had a regular kick without too many tricks or practicing new moves, there were no problems and everyone had fun. next year he'll be hosting the Australian footbag championships and i'll no doubt go along and help him out, even though i dont particularly like to compete. and he's said previously that even though people are competing they'll still be house sharing and going out and doing other things as friends. just because people are serious about competitions doesnt mean they cant be friendly and layed back as well.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
i wouldnt neccissarily call a reporter our audience. he seems more like a movie reviewer that critiques what he can and makes everyone think he's an idiot tongue

regarding what he DOES say, it seems to me he is happy with the lowest common denominator and doesnt care if technical ability is sacraficed for showmanship. personally i think a balance is best, with the performer always striving to better themselves where they can.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
thanks for the heads up spanner hug

there were two articles in the independent that day - the one above on p.36, the one below on p.31.

just for completeness, this is the text from the other article:

Written by: John Hiscock in Los Angeles, page 31

Juggling world in a spin over future of the 'sport'

The annual festival of the International Juggling Association, now under way in Portland, Oregon, provides a forum for the members to show off their tricks, performing with clubs, balls and anything else they can keep in the air.

This year, the festival has a visitor, a world-class juggler named Jason Garfield, who, despite his skills, is viewed with suspicion and hostility by some of the 600 jugglers attending.

Garfield's crime has been to form the rival World Juggling Federation (WJF), which eschews tricks in favour of technical skills and competitive tournaments and threatened to cause a bitter and perhaps permanent split among America's jugglers.

To the outsider, juggling does not seem a pastime likely to breed controversy and lead to vitriolic disputes, yet since Garfield formed the WJF three years ago the juggling world has been in turmoil.

The entertainers of the International Juggling Association (IJA) had described him as a dictator who was crushing the creativity out of juggling' he retaliated by calling them hippies and hacks.

But his presence at the festival is being seen by some as a conciliatory gesture that will go a long way towards healing the rivalry that has existed between the two organisations that hold such different views of the same activity.

"It's more a difference of opinion as to what juggling is all about," said Joyce Howard, a board member of the IJA. "We are getting closer together. The fact that Jason is here at our festival is an indication that although we are rival organisations we are starting to work together. He is more focused on the sport of juggling while we are focused on the artistic and hobby side of it."

The IJA, which for decades has been the primary body, promotes juggling as a form of entertainment' Garfield's WJF is dedicated to juggling as a sport and he hopes it will eventually become an Olympic event.

In WJF juggling contests, contestants are judged on the difficulty of their routines and the technical skill with which they execute them. The object is not to entertain, but to win. "They are very technical," Ms Howard said. "They don't give points for performance or artistry as we do' in fact those things count against the juggler."

Garfield, shaven-headed, muscular, and at 31 a professional juggler for 20 years, concedes the aims of the two organisations are different but maintains he holds no ill will towards his rivals. "We are different organisations with different goals," he said. "I want to see people competing as athletes. My organisation is more sport-based and theirs is geared towards entertainment, although a lot of people like both. Juggling is whatever you want it to be' it's done in many different ways. Some people think it should be done only the way they do it while others are more broad-minded and can see both sides of the argument."

Garfield has already taken giant steps towards making juggling a big-time professional sport by persuading the ESPN TV network to broadcast the first two WJF championships in 2004 and 2005. His fledgling organisation has also had a major boost by the membership of two Russian juggling prodigies named Vova and Olga Galchenko, who are being flaunted as the best jugglers in the world.

Vova, 18, and Olga, 15, grew up in the small industrial city of Penza, about 400 miles from Moscow. They began juggling for fun but it soon became a serious business for them.

They left Russia three years ago and moved to the US, first staying with a circus performer they had met in Russia, then moving to Los Angeles. Garfield met the Galchenkos shortly after they arrived in America and became their unpaid coach. Since then, they have learnt to speak nearly perfect English, performed around the world and won major competitions.

They hold the world record for two people juggling 10 clubs between them and making 378 catches. They also hold the records for 11 clubs (152 catches) and 12 clubs (54 catches).

Stage juggling depends on making tricks look difficult, but the Galchenkos make everything look easy, prompting the magician and juggler Penn Jillette to say: "The two of them are not just the best in the world, they are the best there has ever been."

They are ideal recruits for Garfield's WJF because they have no interest in showbusiness or comedy patter' they are focused solely on technical prowess.

he kind of misunderstood the overall relationship between juggling organisations and also misses the fact that garfield was training the galchenko's in the u.s. before he created the wjf but there you go - reporters very rarely get anywhere close to complete accuracy shrug

i think this is all positive - its rare to get juggling in the press at all and discussion of the internal politics of the pastime are almost unheard of.

big up the indy i say biggrin

maybe now is the time to mention to the paper that the wjf's first event outside of vegas and the u.s. will be in nottingham at next year's british juggling convention... ubbrollsmile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
At least the WJF is taking steps to live up to it's name of world juggling federation. Unlike the 'international' Juggling association.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
seems this is very likely to be a spin-off/result of the time article - *lots* of similarities, including the headline...

Written by: Time Magazine

Up In the Air

Time, U.S. Edition, Sec. Arts, Vol. 168, Issue. 4, p 54 24-07-2006

By Lev Grossman / Agoura Hills

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

How two teenage prodigies came to America and stepped right into a battle over the future of juggling

The world record for two people juggling 10 clubs between them is 378 catches. It is currently held by two Russian siblings living in the U.S. named Vova and Olga Galchenko. The Galchenkos also hold the world record for 11 clubs (152 catches) and 12 clubs (54 catches). The ability to juggle at this level is highly unusual, especially at their ages--Vova is 18, Olga 15. But then again, the Galchenkos are very unusual people.

Vova (short for Vladimir) is shaggy haired and soft spoken. Olga has big eyes and a big smile and is a little hyperactive--she sometimes breaks into a soft-shoe dance routine to keep herself entertained. They're an unlikely duo to be at the center of a controversy that has divided the passionate, arcane and exclusive community of high-level professional juggling, the kind most people rarely see outside of Cirque du Soleil.

Growing up poor in the small industrial city of Penza, about 400 miles outside Moscow, Vova and Olga started juggling for fun in an after-school program. Pretty soon it got to be more than a hobby. The Galchenkos are easygoing and tons of fun to be around, but when it's time to work, something shifts behind their eyes and they get weirdly intense and laser-focused. "They have personalities that are very, very unpleasantly obsessive," says magician and juggler Penn Jillette (he means that with nothing but affection). "When I was around them practicing, they would do stuff that no one had ever done and then say, 'That sucks.'"

The obsessiveness paid off. "If you're talking about club passing, the two of them together are the best in the world," Jillette says. "Not just the best in the world. The best there has ever been." Standing up close to the Galchenkos when they juggle is like watching gravity get turned off. There's a moment of stillness, and then, with no obvious cue from either of them, the air is full of flying clubs, spinning in intricate orbits. The Galchenkos' juggling is beautiful--a kind of kinetic sculpture, a bravura display of human determination bringing order to the chaotic physical world. (For video footage of the Galchenkos' juggling, visit time.com/juggling.)

The rest of the Galchenkos' world has been plenty chaotic. In 2003, thinking they would have more juggling opportunities in the U.S., they moved to New Hampshire, staying with a circus artist they had met while performing in Russia. They came alone: no mother, no father, just the two of them. Vova was 15, and Olga was 12. Neither spoke English.

Since then they have performed around the world and won major competitions. They have learned near perfect English. After some bouncing around, they now live with a generous juggling aficionado in a mansion about an hour outside Los Angeles. And they have acquired a mentor, a brilliant, bombastic, shaven-headed, muscle-bound juggler named Jason Garfield.

This brings us to the controversy. The world of élite juggling can be a political and even somewhat catty place. For decades the primary juggling organization has been the International Juggling Association (IJA). The IJA is committed to juggling as a form of entertainment: juggling with friends for fun, juggling to music, juggling by clowns. If you have ever seen juggler-comedian Chris Bliss's epic three-ball interpretation of the Beatles' Carry That Weight, you get the idea.

In 2003, Garfield, 31, a world-class juggler himself, founded a rival organization called the World Juggling Federation (WJF), dedicated to promoting juggling as a sport, not a sideshow. There are no clowns in the WJF. In WJF events, contestants are judged on the difficulty of their routines and the technical skill with which they execute them, and nothing else. The object is not to entertain but to win. "I wanted to see people competing like athletes," Garfield says. "Kind of like an X Games for juggling."

Feelings between the two camps, the entertainers and the sport jugglers, can run a little high. ("They all get really crazy about it," says Olga, rolling her eyes. "It's insane.") The entertainers call Garfield a dictator who's crushing the creativity out of juggling. He calls them hippies and hacks. "Both can coexist, I think, very easily," says Kim Laird, an IJA board member. "The WJF right now is the new kid on the block, and some people feel their territory's being invaded." Garfield too is a little befuddled by the ire, though he doesn't seem to mind the attention. "It's just juggling. It's surprising to me that people get so mad about it."

His dream is for juggling to become a big-time professional sport, like ice skating--or at least a lucrative fad, like poker. And he has made a start: ESPN and ESPN2 broadcast the first two WJF championships in 2004 and '05, a first for competitive juggling. The next event is in August. The IJA holds its own festival--the '06 festival is this week in Portland, Ore.--but so far it remains a relatively low-profile affair.

Garfield met the Galchenkos shortly after they arrived in the U.S. and immediately offered to coach them pro bono. They're the perfect poster siblings for the WJF: peerless, purely technical jugglers with little interest in show biz or comedy patter. Moreover, stage juggling is about making tricks look difficult, and the Galchenkos' natural gracefulness makes everything look easy. "We're probably the top team in the world, ever, technically, as far as juggling goes," Vova says and adds ruefully: "But we're probably the bottom team when it comes to presenting it."

The Galchenkos may well be the future of juggling, but right now they have a lot more than clubs to juggle. They have little money. They haven't seen their parents in three years. They have legal troubles too. Olga has successfully filed an Extraordinary Ability petition that will allow her to stay in the country for now, but Vova's hasn't been approved yet. He'll have to go back to Russia in October, at least temporarily.

In the meantime, he sometimes gets his host to drive him out to Venice Beach, where if you're lucky you can see one of the greatest technical jugglers in history performing on a street corner. "It's kind of an entry-level juggling job, I guess," he says. He's even working up a little patter to go with his act. "I mean, I don't make up a story," says Vova. "Most people who perform, they usually make up stories." Then again, most people don't have a story like the Galchenkos.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
If this was my classroom this would immidiately degrade into the classic "Cheerleading isn't a sport" and the occational radical "Neither is Golf" arguement.

Frankly, I think it's more easily settled by the Geek/Jock exclusion principle. If geeks do it, it's not a sport.

That's why I don't do sport, because if I did it, my geekyness would automatically disqualify it from being a sport.

Though I don't juggle I can safely say that the Geek quotient is clearly too high for it to be classified as a sport. wink wink wink

Sorry, carry on.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

If this was my classroom this would immidiately degrade into the classic "Cheerleading isn't a sport" and the occational radical "Neither is Golf" arguement.

Frankly, I think it's more easily settled by the Geek/Jock exclusion principle. If geeks do it, it's not a sport.

That's why I don't do sport, because if I did it, my geekyness would automatically disqualify it from being a sport.

Though I don't juggle I can safely say that the Geek quotient is clearly too high for it to be classified as a sport. wink wink wink

Sorry, carry on.

ubblol i'd agree, i think many people juggle because they dont want to play sport with egotistical jocks. wink