Phyzeriummember
38 posts

Posted:
I was kinda wondering how often you guys get blisters on your fingers? Last night i was twirling for a good 3 hours almost, and my fingers are litterally covered in blisters. Got any good tips to not get so many?

Pain is pleasure.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
This has been a topic here before. Do a search, and you should be able to find the discussions.Long story short, I don't think you can avoid them: just try to work them into callouses.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
this has been discussed before so you can search on blisters at the top of the page...i had horrible blisters on every finger when i learned, after a certain point you learn to spin with more wrist so less blisters and you get callouses. you can wrap your fingers in that cloth medical tape before twirling. and dont be like me; try to keep the blisters clean and unbroken and uninfected...i destroyed my hands for about a week. some kinds of handles are better than others, most people seem to like leather for blister prevention and lately I've converted to multiple finger handles...making some today.(i'm starting to feel like Dr. Pere here lately..)Pere

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hey! sorry to hear about your blisters. frown well ive only been spinning for about a week, but i do it like every spare minute i get.. yesterday i prolly did about 4 hours total. anyways, i have yet to get a blister! my fingers arent even raw or sore. i think its because og my straps. i made my own poi but instead of leather for the straps i used pieces of wide elastic, like used for clothes... someone mentioned before that they thought they didnt get blisters because they used stretchy type shoelaces. ::shrugs:: so, i recommend switching to elastic straps. happy spinning to ya!

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Umm, "Just Me", how much weight are you spinning? That'll make a big difference. If you are using elastic, I have to assume you don't have much weight. My dummy wicks + chains weigh about 9 oz each.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

FiReSpRiTemember
23 posts

Posted:
this is Just Me..i dont know the exact weight.. what im using is the basic practice poi, using semi-light weight chain, and tennis balls. they weight a fairly good amount, but im sure not as much as poi with real wicks. the elastic im using is pretty strong stuff.. about an inch wide.

Its hard not to play when theres so many toys.

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Matt,Adam's right- everyone blisters, just try to deal till they heal up a bit.

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

mrhairymember
10 posts

Posted:
OK. Here's some advice I got from some flying trapeze people about blisters.Urinate on them.Apparently it helps dry them out and hardens them.I've also heard stories about trapeze fliers supergluing torn callouses back into place.Happy waterings. smile

Don't dream it, be it.

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
I got some really bad blisters the veryfirst day I did some extended spinning(a few hours at one stretch.) At thetime I was using nylon straps (the stockzuni poi straps) on the first (third?)digits, the ones closest to the palm.In order to keep spinning with the blisters,I moved up a digit to the middle one. I discovered I like this hold much better, butstill started to form some new blisters.At this point I got turned onto leathernooses of the "cut-through" design. Sinceswitching over to this design, I have hadnary a problem with blisters.-p.

Phyzeriummember
38 posts

Posted:
Sorry hairy, but For no hobby shall i piss on myself. I use some neosporin before i start takin a leak on myself...or salt?

Pain is pleasure.

Hapes-Novamember
60 posts

Posted:
superglue was actually originally created for soldiers so they could glue their wounds together if a medic wasnt around. thats probably why those trapezists also use it that like that. just an interesting fact.Hapes-Nova, twirler

Phyzeriummember
38 posts

Posted:
i tried using superglue, but it made my hand way too slippery, and i couldnt keep a grip on the stings, they just kinda slipped around and what not

Pain is pleasure.

mrhairymember
10 posts

Posted:
***Phyzerium: Sorry hairy, but For no hobby shall i piss on myself. I use some neosporin before i start takin a leak on myself...or salt? ****But it's so nice and warm and soothing on sore hands smileI've been told meths (or alcohol I guess) dries and hardens them as well. Happy hardenings smileWhat is neosporin?------------------Don't dream it, be it.

Don't dream it, be it.

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
neosporin is a brand of antibiotic cream.and no, urine is not really sterile. Pere

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
Funny, I just got my second set of blisters on my middle finger and I figured I'd post a question on avoiding them... Guess I'm just one of the club now. I have been using the basic nylon hold and perhaps that is the problem. Do any of the vets have calluses? Is that possible with the type of "stripping" motion that spinning is? I have guitar ones but wasn't sure if the abrasive motion of poi would do the same.

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
I switched to leather straps. No more blisters. Problem solved. smile

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug

lilBEARnewbie
5 posts

Posted:
I use to work in a leather warehouse!!
I have leather and suede scraps!!
Made suede double looped straps!!
Albeit, i just started!! i have blisters torn
open mind you on both sides of my middle
finger!! I'm going to give rings a try and that
cut-through strap type(got the materials)!!
But most upsetting is this is going to cut
into my practice time!! I suppose I'll wrap
them up with guaze and medical tape and
deal with the pain!! I'd still like to hear any
other ideas or suggestions, like how wide
are most finger loops and how thick is the
material? I work alone and have no one to
compare too!! Cheers Ev1!!

We dance with this fire for its all that we know!!

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
hmm i would have said softish leather wouldn't give as many blisters.. like the hop ones..

there will be blisters.. but when did that stop us ubbrollsmile

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I remember my first blister, havnt got once since tho! Thats what you get tho for buz sawing with monkey fists.

Speaking of blisters anyone got any tips of getting rid of ones on your feet?

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
You don't get blisters with staff. smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Adya Miriyana

hmm i would have said softish leather wouldn't give as many blisters.. like the hop ones..

Much as I hate to be contrary (ubblol) I found that once the HoP leather handles got a tiny bit of paraffin on them they became incredibly abrasive, and instead of blisters I got full on open wounds where the skin had rubbed away. That hurt lots.

I get blisters on the side of my index finger and my thumbs from gripping the ballchain when buzzsawing.

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Fine_Rabid_Dog

You don't get blisters with staff. smile

you would if you held the burning wick for long enough... nana

BozBRONZE Member
sober
109 posts

Posted:
yeah, or when you catch the wick in your armpit....
I've never had finger blisters, but they rubbed right raw at one point

*produces sandwich- is happy*

lilBEARnewbie
5 posts

Posted:
that's it both side of my right hand middle finger are just rubbed raw!! frown

I wanted to see what yous all had to say!!

I'm going to make single hooped handle that isn't as

wide as my double looped handles!!

Plus i think my problem was i wasn't using my wrist as much as i was supposed to be!! I could of just been swinging them wrong!! But It sure is a great workout and i've already got several good moves down with convertions from one to the next!! I will be sure to give myself a pat on the back!! clap wink!!

Any ideas on rings!! I thought i read somewhere about people using big metal rings!! How would I hold those? Just using three or four fingers, i suppose!!

Sorry if any of this sounds silly!! I'm so new to this!!

But most surely lovin' it!! Cheers Ev1!! weavesmiley

kelley bye
EDITED_BY: lilBEAR (1143741659)

We dance with this fire for its all that we know!!

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
one of the guys at the juggling/spinnin club at uni was talking about blisters yesterday, but i dont think i have ever gotten any.
it had better not be some initiation thing!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

afghan_bingoSILVER Member
116 posts

Posted:
staff may not give you blisters but for muscle and nerve damage, its the tops!

we were somewhere near barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

BozBRONZE Member
sober
109 posts

Posted:
actually i got a blister off my staff when i started, up the outside of my index finger, hurt like hell, was good though, made me use my left hadn a bit more biggrin
staffs REALLY hurt when they are going fast and you miss catch on your finger tips OW

*produces sandwich- is happy*