Forums > Social Chat > How many races do we have on HoP?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
In my short time as a spinner I have noticed that the majority of spinners I have met are white people.Not that there is anything wrong with that it just makes me wonder if people of other races make up a significant number of spinners?Aside from myself I have only met one spinner who was not a white person.

I myself always get a laugh when people ask me what races I am.I normally ask them what races am I not?For the record I am predominantly hispanic (El Salvadorian) with a little Japanese,French and Irish.Yeah,I'm a mutt.On top of that I'm adopted so don't anyone start thinking I have something against white folks.

So now it's your turn.

(BTW if anyone feels that "white" is not PC than just say so and I will change it to something more appropriate.)

(BTBTW I am not trying to offend or start an argument,it is just a question of curiosity.)

Cagemember
174 posts

Posted:
Well, I am of Welsh decent with a bit of Native American (Cherokee to be exact), and I am told that I have a spattering of Scotch. But none of this matters cause I'm a Detroiter by birth and crazy by nature. So all any of that means is that I enjoy music, fire, a bit of tom-foolery and can hold my liquor.

Slainte!

Without further guilding the lily and with no more ado, I bid you farewell and sweet dreams...

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
i'm an austrALIEN. does that count?

Actually, I'm a dual Australia/UK citizen. Born in Scotland, Aussie bred.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Colombian, though I was imported via adoption to my present location, MN, USA, at a very young age, so culturally I fit in here in the midwest united states. I'd be at a loss in south america.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'm white. Jewish white. Russian, Romanian, Latvian, German, Polish, all sorts of Eastern-European Jew.

Very inbred. I look it, too.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Magickal_Kaleidoscopemember
119 posts

Posted:
i am spanish/welsh mainly but then im a bit english and irish

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Thats funny, Im a White ,and going to Hawii, in seek of fire skills, and you think the population of great spinnirs are WHITE!!!@!!
You have got anouther thing comming. The best is of wich comes from the Best of the best.
Folks in which comes down the family. There are those who have recieved the talant, and those wich feel it, and see it( no offence to any one , i mean every one!!)
Fire is a dance, and best past down through familys. NOT TO SAY It's not a plesure that I meet pepole who spin,I leard So much from You.
Thanks,
Fire Spirit
I seek a Native Profesinal, (who I may run into in the near future). Black, white, Purple, or brown. I just see things in my sleep and need to shair them.

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
I don't like the term Black and White so I'm going to replace the word 'White' with the word 'Ice cream' and the word 'Black' with the word 'Cheese-grater'

I have often thought about posting this very same question, but never dared as i felt it was a little non-PC.
I am really interested in the out come of this.

I myself am a ye olde mixey blob, My dads' side of the family are Polish, Russian with a hit of Jew, My mums side is Russian (State Circus), Italian, American, Romanian along with numerous others from both sides.

I've not met many others spinners but the ones who i have, have all been 'ice cream', and it has often got me thinking about the 'ice cream', 'Cheese-grater' thing.
Is it only 'Ice cream' that spins, surly not???
LOL
Taking it easy
Trippy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone.
N.E.W.B. Agent #012
"I Got Soul"
Non-Https Image Link

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
I am one of the milky masses. My parents and as far back as we know have been Irish. Therefore there is no hope of me tanning myself!

My boyfriend is Japanese and he wants to be described as beige instead of yellow skinned. I think yellow is far more attractive than beige but there you go.

A few kids from my neighbourhood were interested in poi. Sure if they had the opportunity they would be more into it. Oh and they were not white in case you were wondering.

Think music influences could have a lot to do with the proliferation of milk bottle legged poiers strutting their stuff.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Surely there are many NZ Maori cheese-graters who spin?

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

The_Pirate_Dyke_BoyHOP Lord of the Pirate Admiralty
1,079 posts

Posted:
im a bit o a mongrel myself.

On my my mums side, shes half english (father), half scot catholic(mother). The english "pure" english, the scotish side is half scot catholic, half iraqi jew.

On my dads side, he's half turkish jew(mother), half Venezulean. Both those are "pure" blood respectivly if u catch my meaning.
This can all be put down to mass migration during and after both World wars.

So good stuff does result from wars, ME!!! (just a joke...)

D.B.
X x X x X

Ship off the starboard! sound general quarters! noise and light discipline! man the cannons! GET ME THE RUM!

Master of the Free Hug Program

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Hmm I like to call myself native American, I mean, how many generations must your family live in one place to be considerd from "there"?

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i am a carbon particle, i came from space, i evolved here over billions of years, now i am me and your all my brothers and sisters, aunties and uncles and so on, to me that makes us all the same, all equal, neither black nor white we just evolved in a different country.

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
This particular lump of carbon particles evolved in Zimbabwe with a Milk bottle carbon-particle mom from there and a Milk bottle carbon-particle from England. Irish ancestry lurks somewhere in both parents.

Don't worry, be happy...

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
I am a mongrel and proud of it. I am Native (Woodland Cree), German, French, English, and Scottish.

And Ray, your just plain out american, just like everyone else in the states, and I am canadian, C@ntus is British, and Rozi is Australian, and Malcolm is cool

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

vaperloc...the mightylook @my member
466 posts

Posted:
Dammit no the kinda rtaces I was expecting ,but I am mostlyu indian and irish.(aka white boy)

There are no obstacles only challenges.
Very funny scotty now beam down my pants.
[colour."green"}What would willie do?

AHH theres too many wee leprechauns i cannae squash them all

The_Pirate_Dyke_BoyHOP Lord of the Pirate Admiralty
1,079 posts

Posted:
yeh i forgot to add that im a direct decendant of william wallace (braveheart...) and i too have a bit of sillyness in me
LAA!!!
Love n lopllipops

D.B.
X x X x X

Ship off the starboard! sound general quarters! noise and light discipline! man the cannons! GET ME THE RUM!

Master of the Free Hug Program

will_ukBRONZE Member
83 posts

Posted:
I met plenty of Thai firespinners in Thailand. And some Indian guys too. They were very good.

will

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Hrmmm... Most of the above above seem to be ethnicities with even a few nationalities thrown in. I would call little of what's been said so far a race definition. But that's just me.

Since we're defining ourselves incorrectly, I'll join in too: I'm just another greasy Italian from Brooklyn.

A quick Brooklyn Italian joke:
Why are there so many "Tony"s in Brooklyn? Because when they got on the boat in Italy they stamped TO:N.Y.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Born in Canada, adopted and raised in the US. Ancestors are Scottish, migrated through France to Canada and down from there.

I am human, that is the only race in my book.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
Agree that we are all humans and that is the only race that should matter to us but still can't help but be curious.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Rozi is Brittish with an Aussy Citizenship

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
No 22, I'm just debating whether "race" is the appropriate word here. I think most of us are defining our ethnicity.

Brittish, Australian, Scottish, American, New Zealander are all nationalities. Just because your government overthrows a motherland doesn't change your race! Just your nationality.

Most academics would define race as having some biological differences. If a group of people got on a boat a few hundred years ago they didn't create a new race, just a new country. It would take several thousand years (or more) to create new races.

I know it may seem like symantics but I do believe it's a relevant issue. Nationality is very different from ethnicity and race, especially over here in the old "melting pot" of New York City.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
I'm a bit Scottish, bit English and bit Irish.

Not wanting to go off with the topic, but what if anything does knowing where your roots are from give you? Just curious

Seven - The CatDIAMOND Member
Pooh-Bah
2,055 posts

Posted:
100% cat, and proud of it too

BTW my ancestors were gods. Malcolm must remember his role in life. He was born to serve us.

Resistance is futile
I have retractable claws

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Oh my god my history dates back to the Renasonise . (it goes further but )

Here i go ( typical aussie mutt )
French We where a filty rich famil that took off to Scotland.
English meet joe blogg's .
Scotish (bread in with the locals and became Robert the Bruces right hand man (I've seen the family shield ).
PNG My grand father grow up a black man in a white man's body .
Italian traveling gypsie's around europe .

Am i a proper Aussie ?.

That's all i know ... It's probally why im a little Wacked !.

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

Mr.Coffeemember
56 posts

Posted:
in all honesty, i think we are one race, the human race. while race is an interesting word to use, it makes sense, as we all are racing to become better people, and we raced each other in evolution. this race as made us all alike and thus one race today.

that or some subset of homo sapiens

maybe homo HOPiens?

-Rhys

: :

--> I'm just a wave acting out in my own particular way <--

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
White

English/Yugoslavian (Grandparents pure Yugoslav)

Born and raised in sunny England.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
and what's wrong with saying what race or colour you are? Sure, it doesn't matter in the least, but it's there. It's like saying what hair colour do you have, or how tall are you.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Woo!HCH No 2
216 posts

Posted:
White Protestant.
English pure (mums side) and irish Scouse (dads side)
Made on the Isle of wight *Shudders at that thought* and born and raised in England...
Bit of a non-event really, just another white guy with a funny accent.

Papa Lebamember
23 posts

Posted:
Well let's see..

You can call me 'blite' or 'whack' if you will..
(actually I don't give a ****! Originally I'm not even from this planet... )

In this particular life i was born and raised in Holland.
Parents from Surinam.

Dutch, Belgian, African, Scottish and Native American ancestors.

'African' I can't trace back to country, cause personal administration in slavery days was a bit sloppy..., but probably Ghana or Gambia. (suddenly I ask myself where this love for chains and fire and whips and drumming and crossing the oceans lying with 400 naked people in the hold of a wooden ship comes from....)

Papa Leba((( If all that was unseen was seen, then that which we now see would be unseen )))

Page: