Forums > Social Discussion > Israel back at war (a rant)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
[rant]Now for many years I have opposed Israel for their politics in Palestine, Gaza and so on... These days it seems to be mainstream, especially since Israel is back at war with the nations around them, threatening the "rest of the world".

I certainly have a natural opposition towards people, who were suffering the holocaust and seem to put this fate on other, innocent people - it seems as if they have not learned from their own history.

But nope - not this time. I am sick and tired of news and stories about extremists and insurgents, kidnapping and killing other innocent people.

For quite some time, the Israeli govt has done efforts to come to peace with the troublemakers (yes, heck they are troublemakers themselves and yes "collateral damage" done by the Israeli military to innocent people in Lebanon and Gaza is hard to accept...) it just doesn't stop...

And now, I only have to imagine that it would have been the sister of my ex-girfriend to be one of the kidnapped Israeli soldiers - it would disturb me just as much as imagining that my arab cousin lives in Beirut...

I know that war (as violence) is never the way and retaliation is as wrong as attacking, but please tell me: If you're making efforts to live your life in peace and you find out that all compromises you make are answered with neglect (yes, the majority of arabs DO actually WANT PEACE finally and do NOT support the hizbullah - I acknowledge this fact) - bottom line is that there are some blinded people who never learn - how can this be ended? It's a merry go round...

It's not ironic that I am sitting in a hebrew internet cafe in Bangkok - it's almost hilarious! There are millions of young and old jews across the globe who would just LOVE to finally see peace in the middle east and I am sick and tired of reckless politicians who condemn a nation just because of their faith, they actually DO have a democracy and prosper AND that their small number of soldiers (with high tech) is able to keep the entire arab nations around them in check (and do not tell me that those nations would not have the funds to arm up with as much high tech)...

I am SICK of it! I want it to END, I want the killing to STOP NOW!!!!! Why does it seem further away than ever? Why is war the way?

Disclaimer: and pls note that I am not falling into the mainstream thinking that muslims are generally to be held responsible for extremism - it's individuals and their political interest, it's NEVER collective.[/rant]

sorry guys

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
No NYC, cheap shot tongue

I think you are trying to muddy the water, and shift blame by using the emotive example of paedophiles.

Clearly, these so-called terrorist groups have formed because of a common cause ie. the terrible treatment of Muslims, by Jews. Don't you think it is about time grievances on both sides were taken into account, or are you so one-eyed you have lost objectively?

This would mean that Israel would have to accept some responsibility for being the cause of such terrorist organisations. Which they don't appear to be doing - It's all the Muslims fault, i'm innocent. Right.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Stone, you're making it sound as if it's ALL Israel's fault.

And if you think that removing Israel will remove terrorists, then please allow me to refer you to beautiful, sunny Baghdad where there are no Jews, just Sunnis and Shiites. All Muslims. And clearly there's NO terrorism going on there. wink

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

orenicoPLATINUM Member
143 posts

Posted:
I think most of you are just living too far away from the hapenings to understand it. if the war will one day be over, or at least stop for a wile, than all of you that write so passionally about the israeli - muslim conflict should come here for a long visit. i promiss you that after seeing things with you'r own eyes you will have much less to say. cause there isn't much too say here. crying is more apropriat. since the war started i'v stop training... frown

Love, Love, Love...

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
 Written by: stone

You miss an important point,. Terrorists are a response to Israel, and Israel’s behaviour to its neighbours. You have to remove Israel to remove the terrorists.

You're absolutely right stone. By accepting UN resolution 181 - the internationally agreed plan to divide what is now Israel into two countries in 1947 (one state administered by Jews one by Arabs - though neither was expected to be a racially exclusive state) Israel caused all the problems that we see today.

The palestinians by rejecting the plan and starting a war where their stated aim was to remove any Jewish state presence from the middle east (the destruction of the state of Israel - exactly what Hisbollah and Hamas are still calling for)- were clearly justified as they were only trying to finish the Nazis admirable holocaust project.

As such to create peace in the middle east today we should remove Israel by rebuilding Auschwitz and Belsen - which will 'remove the terrorists' at the same time.

spank spank spank

Calling for peace while claiming everything is Israel's fault so it must be removed seems quite odd to me...

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

Actually, I only recall you mentioning prisoner exchange, which basically sends a message that Israel is willing to negotiate with terrorists. Not a good policy.

In fact I gave a multipoint plan sometime earlier, which was more or else identical to the current UN resolution on the matter, involving a multinational peacekeeping force and military withdrawal.

I presented the "prisoner release" plan as an alternative when you insisted that I hadn't given any plan, but made it clear that that wasn't the best plan, just better than the current situation. It was similar in many respect to the Northern Ireland peace process. So then, how many people have to die then efore the war becomes unjustified, Doc?

Unfortunately, thanks to people like you, they also learned that it gathers public opinion in their favor.

I hold Hezbollah in the highest contempt, equal to Israeli military policy. I condemn then both as barbaric and moronic. My sympathies go out to the people of both contries, who have to suffer the madness and stupidity of war and terrorism around them.

However, thanks to Israel's current actions, Hezbollah's next recruiting drive will be their most successful ever. Like Bloody Sunday and the IRA, Israel have given Hezbollah and international terrorism anouther decade of vitality.

Look at Northern Ireland, look at Afghanastan, Iraq. War doesn't stop terrorists, it creates them, and kills thousands of people in the process. This ceasefire is a good start, and shows that at least the UN will listen to reason occassionaly.

Written by: FireTom

Can't quite agree with you: Jeff. They demanded about a thousand prisoners to be released - if my memory is correct...

It's not I'm afraid. At the time of the kidnap Israel had a grand total of four Lebanese nationals in captivity, of which Hezbollah demanded the release of three.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thanks for agreeing with me dream. For sure, this won’t end until Israel accepts some responsibility in all this. Proclaiming innocent, and blaming the other side does not help at all. It seems that all both sides do in this is blame each other. No one knows what they are really fighting for, except it’s the other sides fault. So indulgent, so selfish, so stupid.

I think you have milked the Auschwitz and Belsen examples for as long as possible. Perhaps, you could ask what it is that the Jews are doing, that causes all this animosity towards them.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jeff(fake)

I hold Hezbollah in the highest contempt, equal to Israeli military policy. I condemn then both as barbaric and moronic.

See, this opinion continues to mystify me. Let's review this:

Israel: rockets come flying out of civilian targets and land on civilian targets. Israel is given no choice but to attack the source of the rockets. In the process they regrettably cause civilian casualities.

Hezbollah: without provocation fires rockets at civilian targets. When offered military targets, they continue to fire on civilian targets, in spite of the fact that no attacks are originating in the civilian targets. Furthermore, they round up civilians at gunpoint and use them as a shield.

I wonder how one rationally, ethically, or morally calls these two tactics equivalent.

Written by:

However, thanks to Israel's current actions, Hezbollah's next recruiting drive will be their most successful ever. Like Bloody Sunday and the IRA, Israel have given Hezbollah and international terrorism anouther decade of vitality.

From the attitude that you espouse, if you were Lebanese you'd be joining Hezbollah. You seem to blame Israel and not Hezbollah for giving Israel no choice but to attack civilian targets.

Written by:

Look at Northern Ireland, look at Afghanastan, Iraq. War doesn't stop terrorists, it creates them, and kills thousands of people in the process. This ceasefire is a good start, and shows that at least the UN will listen to reason occassionaly.

Unfortunately, however, once terrorists are created there is no reasonable and nonviolent way to deal with them. Northern Ireland is a rare exception where they managed to stay cohesive and centralized enough to negotiate with.

Written by:

It's not I'm afraid. At the time of the kidnap Israel had a grand total of four Lebanese nationals in captivity, of which Hezbollah demanded the release of three.

Great tactic. Send the message that if you want your prisoners back, just launch rockets at civilian targets and Israel will fold. And suppose Israel did just that and then Hezbollah fired rockets and raided anyway (which they would have). Would you then support Israeli actions?

At exactly what amount of bending over backward would it be OK for Israel to hit the school bully back in the mouth?

-Mike

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Stone

Thanks for agreeing with me dream.

ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

I think you have milked the Auschwitz and Belsen examples for as long as possible. Perhaps, you could ask what it is that the Jews are doing, that causes all this animosity towards them.

..."Why do the Jews keep getting caught in holocausts?"

Now it may seem unfair to ask this question given the Nazi holocaust, but when history keeps repeating itself, there may be another explanation. I know some of the reasons I learn at school. But I'd like to know more - “Who are the Jew being that gets everybody offside with them? And what could they do, or who would they have to be to bring peace back to the world?"

And don't go saying it's not our fault, and blaming others. Because clearly it is Israel’s fault...

Why does so much of the rest of the world hate the Jews and want to kill them. Obviously, there must be something wrong with the Jews.

What were the reasons you learned in school? I remember hearing a few:

1. They poisoned the wells and caused the black plague.
2. They sacrifice Muslim children and drink their blood during Passover Seders.
3. They control the media.
4. They control the world banks, and start wars so they can lend money at interest to governments.
5. They invented a fake “holocaust” and have brainwashed us all into thinking that the Nazis killed them. And they still try to milk it.
6. They blew up the world trade center and framed it so it looked like Muslims did it, so they could make us take out Iraq.
7. They rigged the elections to make Bush win.
8. They invented AIDS, a disease which they are virtually immune to because of circumcision.

Perhaps these are some of the things they have done to provoke animosity, and would explain why history keeps repeating itself and they keep getting caught in holocausts.

Now that we’ve answered that question, perhaps we can figure out what women are doing to cause themselves to get raped.

/sarcasm

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Patriarch917

1. They poisoned the wells and caused the black plague.

That's a bald-faced lie. Wells had nothing to do with it. We just let the rats loose.

Written by:

2. They sacrifice Muslim children and drink their blood during Passover Seders.

CHRISTIAN children. CHRISTIAN! Muslims taste funny.

Written by:

3. They control the media.

Most of it. Not even we can stop Britney from making a trashy whore of her self. Admittedly her baby is Christian and does look tasty...

Written by:

4. They control the world banks, and start wars so they can lend money at interest to governments.

Not only that, but we make Uzi's, too!

Written by: ]

5. They invented a fake “holocaust” and have brainwashed us all into thinking that the Nazis killed them. And they still try to milk it.[/quote

We had you believing it, too, until that schmuck painted the rows of prisoners on top of those buildings. shrug

6. They blew up the world trade center and framed it so it looked like Muslims did it, so they could make us take out Iraq.[/quote

Well, it was more complex than that...but yeah, you get the basic idea. Not bad, given you're a goy.

7. They rigged the elections to make Bush win.[/quote

Actually, no, that was the Idiots. They're more powerful than we are.

8. They invented AIDS, a disease which they are virtually immune to because of [url=https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8715260/

circumcision.[/url]

Well, we didn't "invent" it, per se... I prefer to think of it as "convenient use of natural resources."

Now that we’ve answered that question, perhaps we can figure out what women are doing to cause themselves to get raped.

/sarcasm [/quote

Wearing hoochie clothes?

Ok, I'll behave now. wink

-Mike

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

Perhaps, you could ask what it is that the Jews are doing, that causes all this animosity towards them.

Well, they're certainly not as bad as the American Indians. I mean, since we slaughtered most of them they must have been real jerks, otherwise why would we have done it?

I wonder how this conversation would be different if there was a larger Jewish population in the UK. I know there are many Brits that haven't even MET a Jew.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

I wonder how this conversation would be different if there was a larger Jewish population in the UK. I know there are many Brits that haven't even MET a Jew.

Or seen a circum...

Right. I'll shut up now. redface

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Incidentally, I would like to point something out:

The terms "Jew" and "Israeli" are NOT interchangeable and I'd appreciate if people would stop using them as such.
thankx

-Mike

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Ok, Patriarch and NYC. How about you try and answer the question instead of coming up with “red herrings”.

So, what are you doing to bring all this animosity towards you? You can’t keep blaming everyone else, like you are currently doing.

1,189 posts

Posted:

I hold Hezbollah in the highest contempt, equal to Israeli military policy. I condemn then both as barbaric and moronic.

Israel: rockets come flying out of civilian targets and land on civilian targets. Israel is given no choice but to attack the source of the rockets. In the process they regrettably cause civilian casualities.

Hezbollah: without provocation fires rockets at civilian targets. When offered military targets, they continue to fire on civilian targets, in spite of the fact that no attacks are originating in the civilian targets. Furthermore, they round up civilians at gunpoint and use them as a shield.

I wonder how one rationally, ethically, or morally calls these two tactics equivalent.

I guess Doc, because in the grand scheme of things, I don't give a rat's ass about international motives, nationality, and all the other debris that the human mind throws up to justify murder on a massive scale.

I guess it's a bit like Mohandas Ghandi wrote:
"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?"

Luckily the ceasefire appears to be holding for now, showing as I said that there are better ways.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

Yell fire!SILVER Member
151 posts

Posted:

Ah, but it is so easy to look at the same situation and read it very differently.

Since military service is compulsory in Israel, technically ALL adult Israelis (except for the handful in jail for refusing to join the army) are genuine military targets, not civilians. What's worse is that these adult Israelis (i.e., military personnel who would eventually be called on to attack Lebanon if the need arose), 'round up' civilians (Israeli children who have not done military service), and hide behind them, using them as a shield.

Despicable behaviour if you ask me.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Yell fire!

Ah, but it is so easy to look at the same situation and read it very differently.

Since military service is compulsory in Israel, technically ALL adult Israelis (except for the handful in jail for refusing to join the army) are genuine military targets, not civilians. What's worse is that these adult Israelis (i.e., military personnel who would eventually be called on to attack Lebanon if the need arose), 'round up' civilians (Israeli children who have not done military service), and hide behind them, using them as a shield.

Actually, read the Geneva Convention. It spells out very clearly what is and what isn't "Military."

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:

I guess Doc, because in the grand scheme of things, I don't give a rat's ass about international motives, nationality, and all the other debris that the human mind throws up to justify murder on a massive scale.

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?"

I see. Well tell you what. Next time someone starts to hit you, don't defend yourself. Don't even raise an arm to protect your face. Instead, ask them nicely to stop. Give them all your money. When they don't stop then ask them nicely again. Can't hit them, according to your view, because all acts of violence are equal, no matter the motive. Even self-defense.

-Mike

Yell fire!SILVER Member
151 posts

Posted:

Actually, read the Geneva Convention. It spells out very clearly what is and what isn't "Military."

So why exactly should I read the Geneva Convention? Because it is constantly violated by the Israelis? Or because it is constantly violated by the US around the world? Or perhaps the Geneva Convention was only meant for the weaker sides in a conflict to abide by?
EDITED_BY: Yell fire! (1155644175)

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:

So why exactly should I read the Geneva Convention? Because it is constantly violated by the Israelis?

You haven't read it? Go read it. Then come back and show me willful violations by Israel where they had a reasonable alternative.

-Mike

1,189 posts

Posted:

I see. Well tell you what. Next time someone starts to hit you, don't defend yourself. Don't even raise an arm to protect your face. Instead, ask them nicely to stop. Give them all your money. When they don't stop then ask them nicely again. Can't hit them, according to your view, because all acts of violence are equal, no matter the motive. Even self-defense.

I would have thought that you would get my philosophy even vaguely right, Doc, rather than forming strawmen frown. I have never espoused pacifism. My point has always been that the actions by Israel in Lebanon were unneccasery, counter-productive to the security of Israel, and excessively destructive.

1,189 posts

Posted:

So why exactly should I read the Geneva Convention? Because it is constantly violated by the Israelis?

You haven't read it? Go read it. Then come back and show me willful violations by Israel where they had a reasonable alternative.

The UN seems to think there have been a few instances. List of UN resolutions concerning Israel

But I thought you were a frequent critic of Israeli policy?

Yell fire!SILVER Member
151 posts

Posted:

Either you yourself haven't read the Fourth Geneva Convention or you are blatently biased in favour of Israel. The construction of settlements on occupied land is a clear violation of the Convention. So please explain to me why Israel in this particular case did not have a 'reasonable alternative' as you put it. Or perhaps you think this wasn't a 'willful' violation? Did god make them do it?

Gremlin_Loumember
131 posts

Posted:
Ah, out of hospital in time for Saturdays Anti-Jewish demo where I have to go and wave an Israeli flag/beat Palestinians over the head. Also, Doc, your post really cheered me up smile Its all true. Wish our docs were like you.

Seriously, you people really need to go and live in Israel. If the Welsh constantly ran acorss the border into UK and blew themselves up, i'm pretty sure England would build a fairly big fence after a while!

Why is Israel the only country that is deplore for its apparent Human Rights abuses? Why do I never see people in Manchester protesting against Darfur or Zimbabwe, against Pakistans/Irans/anything ending in -stan abuses against women, gays, Christians or against China's cruel one-baby policy?

Would that be because these demonstrators are anti-semetic?
Or just because they are spoonfed by the (apparently Jewish controlled) Media?

Gah. Moonbats!

'If your deeds shouldn't be known, perhaps they shouldn't be done, if your words shouldn't be shared, perhaps they shouldn't be spoken. Act with attention, for all your acts have consequences" (Rabbi Judah HaNassi)

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:

I would have thought that you would get my philosophy even vaguely right, Doc, rather than forming strawmen frown. I have never espoused pacifism. My point has always been that the actions by Israel in Lebanon were unneccasery, counter-productive to the security of Israel, and excessively destructive.

Your alternatives were prisoner exchange...and I forget what else. I explained why prisoner exchange wouldn't work. What was the other again? I'm sure I patiently explained why that wouldn't work, either.

So...suppose Hezbollah starts firing rockets again now that there's a cease-fire (which will undoubtedly mean that they can move new personnel and materiel into place). THEN would you be OK with Israel defending itself?

At what point, in your world view, would Israel have the right to shoot back?

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:

her you yourself haven't read the Fourth Geneva Convention or you are blatently biased in favour of Israel. The construction of settlements on occupied land is a clear violation of the Convention. So please explain to me why Israel in this particular case did not have a 'reasonable alternative' as you put it. Or perhaps you think this wasn't a 'willful' violation? Did god make them do it?

I am not clear if the Israeli towns in the area were on occupied land or not. Does anyone know?

-Mike

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hey, Doc if I ever wondered why Hezbollah were firing rockets at Israel, then I’m not now.

ubbcrying

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Explain that?

-Mike

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
Um, you're a Jew, and the Jews deserve holocausts. He's said it in several posts already. As he said in an earlier post, he's waiting for you to admit to it and tell us the reason why you deserve to be attacked, rather than distract us with red herrings.

To organizations like Hamas and Hezbollah, all of Israel is "occupied" Muslim land. If we pretend that those parties met in Geneva with Israel and signed an agreement that said Israel would not live on the Muslim ground it has "occupied" then Israel would be in violation of this agreement.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

Ok, Patriarch and NYC. How about you try and answer the question instead of coming up with “red herrings”.

So, what are you doing to bring all this animosity towards you? You can’t keep blaming everyone else, like you are currently doing.

Which animosity? The rational animosity directed against certain actions of certain governments or the bigoted racist animosity coming from folks like you?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Cheers NYC. Ditto on the bigoted racist animosity coming from folks like you.

Certainly Lightning. I think that if I was faced with a situation where I was treated with intolerance, arrogance, a lack of compassion as well as being considered something less than human; then I could see how the use of rockets could be an option of last resort.

Excuse me Patriach, I think you are putting words in peoples mouths. Did I say that “Jews deserve holocausts” NO! I asked a question, that you were not willing to answer. Perhaps because you would have to look at you motives as a human being.

Israel was not attacked as such. I seem to remember Israel attacking to in response to captured soldiers.

To answer earlier questions that have no bearing on this thread. If I was continually harassed sexually, at a number of different jobs, in a number of different locations by different people, then I might consider that I was doing something that was causing that harassment.

I suspect that white mans diseases wiped out a large percentage of Native Americans. Also, I suspect American Indians presented a threat to white settlers.

Page: ......