Forums > Help! > glowing poi question

Login/Join to Participate

bossySILVER Member
stranger
9 posts

Posted:
Firstly hello to all!!! ive havn't been at this long but im deffinatly hooked! i just bought some cobra 2 and im having great fun but i think id like to have a go at night poi. so, heres the point of this topic, i was wandering, which i should go for, night burst or globalz? they are similarly price and i just wanted to know if there was a major difference between them and which you all prefer?

Thanks, ross.

K__BRONZE Member
...join us...
184 posts

Posted:
Hi Ross, welcome to HoP!

I don't have either night burst or globalz but I've heard a lot of bad things about globalz - like that they're badly made, fly off when you're spinning, generally break within weeks of purchase. Haven't heard anything about night burst but they look pretty on the website smile

I've got Boing 8cm juggling balls which I convert into poi with washing tablet bags (from Persil etc) and attach them to my usual chains with key rings. This is great (only £8 per ball, really bright, 9 different colour settings, the AAA batteries last really well) EXCEPT that when they collide or you drop one, it turns off. Then you have to cycle through the colours again to get back to what you had it on before.

I've seen Atom poi and they're pretty good - they're tough and well made, and the trails when you spin them are really nice.

Hope that's useful - good luck in your quest! weavesmiley

bossySILVER Member
stranger
9 posts

Posted:
thanks for the help k! i like the idea with the washing tablets bag for juggling balls. ill have to give that a try.

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
Yeah don't get the glowballz, I have some and they suck. When I get round to replacing them I think it's going to be with the cheap as chips HoP ones. They'll take more of a beating than the boing balls, which are hard plastic covered with soft rubber, whereas the hop ones are like a semi-transparent rubber tennis ball, so they just bounce off rather than damaging you or themselves. This might be a particular consideration if you're just starting out or if you're going to take them to clubs and don't want your poi to get damaged by the inevitable precession of randoms wanting a go!

Edit: In fact the HoP ones are pretty much the same as the nightbursts! You'll have to get the cords seperately but they're only a couple of quid. There's a link to the cord page from the page I linked above smile
EDITED_BY: Tom_Shill (1153482310)

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

bossySILVER Member
stranger
9 posts

Posted:
thanks for the help. they look good too

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Are night burst the ones with the soft outer shell?

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
yeh glowballz are [censored]. get the glow balls off here. i got the rainbow ones and they are great

K__BRONZE Member
...join us...
184 posts

Posted:
Alright, I retract what I said about Boing balls being great. I've had mine a few months and I wouldn't say they've had extensive use, and they're knackered already.

Firstly, some of the screws that hold the ball together (that you need to remove to get to the electronics for changing the batteries) are in so tight that they're impossible to unscrew. You actually end up stripping out the screw head instead of unscrewing them. This honestly isn't just me being incompetent - I'm using the right screwdriver etc, and some come out with a bit of effort, some just won't budge. So that means I effectively have sealed balls with dead batteries inside.

Secondly, out of the 18 LEDs spread across 3 balls, 4 have failed.

I know they only cost 8 quid each in the first place, but I really was expecting them to do better than this.

Next in my quest to find decent but affordable glow juggling balls, I will be trying these...

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Glowbalz arnt as bad as everyone makes them ut to be. Ive got a really lush pair of blue ones

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
My atoms are fabulous! Last forever, and you can replace the inner core led bit if needed, or to switch to different colours or patterns. The suppliers usually sell batteries too, at a cheap price. I just put them on chains with proper handles, and they are a good weight too, similar to my fire poi. Sometimes for show I link two on each side, double beautiful trails!

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

NantheosSILVER Member
82 posts

Posted:
You could also put any glowing juggling ball in a white (HoP) sock.

Hij die zijn kind benzine voert moet niet roken als het boert.

Love you MyIng ubblove

Dangerousmind66Member
90 posts

Posted:
Has anyone tried converting a set of astrojax into poi??

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I have.

They look ok, a bit too dim though (LEDs are too small so dont give off much light) but they are pretty enough.
Just restring them with paracord instead of the dental floss they supply.

ubbrollsmile

K__BRONZE Member
...join us...
184 posts

Posted:
 Written by: K__

Next in my quest to find decent but affordable glow juggling balls, I will be trying these...

These have arrived (ordered Thursday, arrived today - Butterfingers are great!), and upon initial nighttime inspection they look excellent biggrin

Seem nice to juggle and I reckon they should convert into bright poi with reasonable trails.

They'll be having their first dusk outing on Wednesday and proper night event on Saturday - will have to see what people think of them then...

PerrafordeBRONZE Member
Its Wet and Cold
120 posts

Posted:
I have the atom poi, and they hurt when you whack yourself in the head (or knee like i just did, which is why i'm back on line and not out spinning)

They are really well built and seem to put up with a lot of use.

I do find them quite heavy as i am still learning myself. weavesmiley

Oh Slothy. I may have been bad. I may have kept you chained up in that room but it was for your own good

Either I have a monster in my kitchen or I'm completely crazy