FaEnewbie
16 posts

Posted:
We hope to attract some of the BEST FireArtists from around the region and possibly the globe.

First prize of $1,000

www.fireart.net.au

Good luck!!

You got to be in it to WIN it..........

FaEnewbie
16 posts

Posted:
.....lets have some FUN biggrin weavesmiley

FaEnewbie
16 posts

Posted:
This is looking like it's going to be a fantastic competition. Lots of entries so far......Once again, Good Luck, fire spinners of the world. weavesmiley juggle

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Just curious, by who and hopw is it judged?

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
why do we have to have paid and be a registered compeditor to know how its being judged? how many entrys are there so far?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
hooray for pyrotechnique being the reining world champion! I think he's been spinning for twice as long as i have! a fluid fella.

hmm i thought the other world champsionship was in NZ!

max respect for them for stepping up and putting this together.
I guess Australia is so rich in fire community that someone had to turn it into a competition sometime.

perhaps competing for a world title will encourage us oz twirlers to train harder, gain more chi!

More than the 8 weeks notice i think should be given before any claims about attracting overseas entrants can be reasonably asserted. It could be a very good guage of the level of prowess in the greater Cairns area, and the QLD state too.
Conducting heats in the capital cities would give great credibility to the notion of representing the country - a lot of the most mind-bendingly amazing twirlers i have witnessed over the years in this state were living barely over the poverty line and an interstate trip would be a great hurdle for them.

i hope this grows to be eventually a big event.
FaE, welcome to Home of Poi and if u guys need help web promotions wise (perhaps a competition e-banner for oz twirling sites) or melb logistics assistance, then chuck us a pm.

woot!
b

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

FaEnewbie
16 posts

Posted:
Good call Ben redface I have updated information today and the FULL criteria will be updated soon. But as I am sure you know....we know what makes a good Fire artist. First prize is for the overall winner. Whoever can perform best on the night. (A complete package = grace, transitions, crowd intereactivity, costume design, performance skills, etc)

Please keep checking the site for updated info.
Once you have read everything please register and then pay for the entry....Cool? wink

FaEnewbie
16 posts

Posted:
All sorted!

FaEnewbie
16 posts

Posted:
Things are really starting to heat up...We are getting a few interstate entries for this event.....

I guess $1,000 is well worth the trip to Cairns...Yah cool

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FaE

But as I am sure you know....we know what makes a good Fire artist.

Judging will be made on the following:

i) Poise, Grace - i agree
i) Technical Ability - i agree
i) Crowd Intereactivity - i disagree it makes for a good performer not fire artist
i) Transitions - i agree
i) Music Selection - i disagree a good artist can spin to anything
i) Costume Design - once again performance not artist
i) Performance Skills - once again performance not artist
i) Overall Complete Performance package - once again performance not artist

i guess we have different concepts of what a fire artist is, in my eyes an artist uses a space to interact with the music to create something for the love of creating and is enthrawled with what they are doing. a performer gets all prettied up and dances the same dance they have done a hundred times before to entertain the audience. all things being equal at the end of a performers spin the crowd claps because they have been entertained at the end of an artists spin the crowd claps because they have been allowed to share a beautiful moment with the artist

i hope the competition goes well, will you be videoing it?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

FaEnewbie
16 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ] i guess we have different concepts of what a fire artist is [/quote

To a degree, I guess we do..... confused

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Ben / whoever:

I don't think it should include crowd interactivity. But the other aspects are okay.

If you think it terms of ballet / dance, costume music selection and performance skills are all part of the performance. You wouldn't go to a ballet expecting them to do it in street clothes, (unless it was part of a new ballet set in an appropriate environment), nor would you go to a hip-hop dance performance expecting them to do it in a tutu. I have similar expectation of the music.

But I don't expect them to have to make eye-contact with the audience or acknowledge that they are even there. (It's very very rare for this to happen, thou I have been to see netherlands dance theatre 2 company who have invited audience members on stage, but they are a very cool company, I don't think you'd expect to see it in swan lake.)

Who cares about expectations you say? Well expectations are related to what's good. I don't want to see a member of the audience on stage in swan lake, I want to see dancers who've spendt half their lifes training on stage dancing swan lake. And I want to see them doing it to music that's appropriate, not anything that took their fancy, in costumes that are appropriate, not what they just walked in with off the street. y'know? All these things contribute, and while I don't think they should be mjor factors, I think they contribute to the performance, just like the technical aspects of the dance.

I once went to see the trocaderos and comedy plays a large part in their show, as well as originality and gender bending. I have it on reliable authority that they aren't the most highly skilled troupe in the world, but they are very entertaining, and their performance was very good.

If you want to remove performance aspects from competition you should disabuse yourself of this notion by watching the compulsories for a baton championship, or the WJF.

Dance doesn't have competitions, I wonder why?

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

Dance doesn't have competitions, I wonder why?

because you're on drugs? tongue

i agree with all the judging categories - the way i see it, if you make a competition, you get to choose the rules and the judging criteria.

if you don't like it, don't enter.

if you truly disagree with the way its being run, make your own competition (c.f. ija/wjf/extremejuggling) shrug

'fire artist' could mean lots of things - anyone got a blue flame that i can mix with my base yellow?

but like dance, fire dancing is a performance art - whether you perform professionally or not, in a competition you have an audience, hence you are performing.

whether or not you decide to perform a routine or just freestyle is completely up to you no?

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Me being on drugs? I thought that was a granted? biggrin

Well let me restate that: Dance doesn't have competitions that anybody cares about. (And when I say anybody I mean, the lay public and other dancers)

I mean, are there any professional dance competitions on TV, or any dancers that only compete in competitions and don't perform in dance companies?

I looked at the good search result and saw lots of competitions for amateur dancers.

I guess you could create competitions 'strickly ballroom' style, where you restrict the dance to a certain form of partner dance. and then you have to excel under those rules. But then, I've never seen ballroom dance on at the festival theatre. I wonder why that is?

I think professional dance competitions are actually called auditions. wink

"Dancers will not be judged on technique alone but on the ability to use that technique to create and transmit emotion."

amen!

and while I'm here you should try and remember to close your bold font tags cole. slacker.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

FaEnewbie
16 posts

Posted:
The days are counting down.......

You got to be in it to win it biggrin

FaEnewbie
16 posts

Posted:
Due to an overwhelming response of Competitors we have closed entries to this years competition.

Good Luck to those who are competing....

and Safe Fire Dancing

FaE