Forums > Social Discussion > Pirates of the Carribean and Hollywood Crap

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Okay...this may contain a slight spoiler..I haven't decided yet but I wanted to put the warning up anyway.

The next part is a complete rant.
I am sick to freakin' death with Hollywood but I am stuck in a catch 22 because I love movies. However, they don't want people to download and yet they raise the costs of movies which makes it hard to go and then pull shyte like they did with the recent P.O.T.C. movie.

The thing is a freakin' waste of money. There is one good fight scene and two good lines (both of which are in the trailer). There is little character developement and the only redeeming factor are some of the characters they brought back. It is predictable, at times quite boring and more reliant on the look of it over the actual plot.

Conceptually it is a brilliant movie and Disney completely failed to deliver on the concept. Why when they have such resources? Because they know we are massive dipshits that will pay too much to see a movie without fully understanding that all it really is is a trailer for the next movie.

Yup. That's right. This movie literally doesn't end. It has a giant dot-dot-dot at the end leading to the third movie.
NOTHING is concluded. So I paid for my family to sit for 2 1/2 hours, half of it bored and wondering when it would pick up just to see a freakin' commercial that went NOWHERE.

And I am pissed.

To hell with Hollywood.
From now on we are going to download the movies, watch them at home and then if they are worthy of my money I will only then pay to see them on a large screen.

And I can tell you that this movie is most definately not worth it. I hated it when the Matrix did this shyte, I hate it more with this movie...mainly because it was so long.

(But for reference point, things like LOTR and such I knew were going to be as such, and each section had a defined ending so I was fine with those)

Oh, and there were some *very* bad CGI sections in this as well...which were mostly unecessary anyway. UGH.

Rant over..I think..for now...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
Hmm... "that all it really is is a trailer for the next movie."

That nicely sums up what hacked me off about this movie.

I quite liked the rest though, sorry redface

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Yes sequels have been very lacklustre in recent years - even the relatively well made ones! Shrek 2, Spider-Man 2 were very good but still felt like rehashes of the originals and weren't as emotionally engaging.

The X-Men films on the other hand seemed to be the only modern 'franchise' sequels that didn't instill a sense of deja vu... X2 was brilliant and probably the best of the three, 'X-Men: The Last Stand', although shoddily directed still managed to do something different and displayed ambition despite the incompetent director failing to tie all the elements together....

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
You guys are the first I have heard who have been dissappointed.

The worst I have heard is "man it was long". We all knew there was another coming so maybe thats the difference.

I object to movie costs so always we go to tight arse Tuesdays and special offers and take our own food.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Very interesting review

K__BRONZE Member
...join us...
184 posts

Posted:
I agree it was massively disappointing. I resent it when they make sequels more as a stepping-stone or a giant ellipsis to the next one than bothering to make a decent film. Somehow it makes me feel cheated and used.

I thought it felt like they hadn't realised the reason people loved the first film was because of its genius lines and style, and with the 2nd they put those things aside to focus on big CGI effects. The other thing they put aside was having a plot that hung together to any extent.

Having said that, I don't particularly regret seeing it - it did have its moments and at least I know I won't have to find time/money to see it several times at the cinema cos it was so amazing.

I saw X3 last night, and wasn't too optimistic having been warned not to get too excited, but actually really enjoyed it. While I think you're right Neon that X2 was better, it was still far more entertaining than POTC2.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Aimée

Very interesting review

well like....um....most amusing

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Hmm, i must be odd. I loved it.

Gayle.....!

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Yeah but I'm film geek killjoy.... ignore me...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

LSKmember
66 posts

Posted:
I liked it, but still felt a little disappointed with the ending... Even the 2nd Matrix film (Revolutions? Re-loaded? Recorded? Rewarded?) had more of a conclusion than the new POTC.

I also felt that it could have been edited a little more. Waaaayyy too much time was spent in the place where -BLANK- was the -BLANK- of that group of -BLANKS- (Blanks included for those still waiting to see the film)

Hopefully a worthy 3rd installment will save the series!...

Lx

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So, Pele, honey?

Did you like the movie?

Because I wasn't quite sure. *flee*

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Doc, my heart, my life, my light, my love....

Shut the f&*k up! tongue

(and for those who want clarifying...NOOOOOOOO I didn't!)

Love you Mike! hug

Pele

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Love you too, honeybunch!

*nurses stinging ears*

-Mike

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
I really enjoyed the movie, and I liked the ending. Reminded me a lot of the ending to the Empire Strikes Back.

Maybe I'm biased by watching too much star wars as a kid, but if I made a trillogy it would consist of the first movie having a conclusion, then follow it up with a movie that ends with lots of loose ends and the bad guys winning, then follow it up with a third which is so awesome it makes the wait worth it, and manages to outshine the first.

My main problem with the Matrix is not the second movie, it's the third one.

I went into the movie knowing it was the second of three, and was therefore not disapointed at the ending. Far from it. I think my two most exciting moments were seeing Jack facing the censored and then gasping when they revealed that censored was back.

However, I see good reason for your being annoyed. Rant on. No doubt we will both pay to see the third in any case. They won't stop making such movies until such movies stop breaking box office records (which, as I understand, Shrek 2, Spiderman 2, and POTC 2 did.)

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Patriarch917

However, I see good reason for your being annoyed. Rant on. No doubt we will both pay to see the third in any case. They won't stop making such movies until such movies stop breaking box office records (which, as I understand, Shrek 2, Spiderman 2, and POTC 2 did.)

exactly. i havent seen it and usually i dont bother going to movies to watch anything, i'll rent them out IF people say its worth it, and then i can chill at home and watch it a few times.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
crikey, can't remember the last time I went to the movies...

and generally, I switch most movies off that I borrow long before the end...

I don't have the patience to sit through something that is getting on my goat... eek

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Patriarch917

I went into the movie knowing it was the second of three, and was therefore not disapointed at the ending. Far from it. I think my two most exciting moments were seeing Jack facing the censored and then gasping when they revealed that censored was back.

I totally agree with this assessment.

But I also agree with this one:
 Written by: Pele

Conceptually it is a brilliant movie and Disney completely failed to deliver on the concept. Why when they have such resources? Because they know we are massive dipshits that will pay too much to see a movie without fully understanding that all it really is is a trailer for the next movie.

I completely agree that Hollywood, like the music industry, is churning out more and more crap in the hopes that something will hit it big, instead of focusing on creating a few high-quality products. I would rather have only 12 good movies to watch all year, than to have to pick one a month from 200 intolerably crummy pictures.

My lack of disappointment with POTC2, (other than seeing it for free wink ), was that I simply enjoy the characters (and admittedly, the genre) so much that the plot is not as important as their interaction and performances to me. That credit goes to the phenomenal cast. Disney however, has been in the movie business long enough to know better. Shame on them. I did walk out feeling like I did after Matrix 2, knowing there wouldn't be closure, but Matrix 2 was a more enjoyable a movie than the third. Maybe 'cause the plot in Matrix 3 sucked, and all the closure in the world wouldn't have saved it from sucking. I dunno.

I have issues with the X-Men movies in general, but to compare them, X-2 was the best of the three. Not because of plot or character development, but because there was a sense of campy goofiness in the first one and a sense of bitter finality in the last one.

I liked Pirates, and I can't wait for the third one to come out next year. And by the powers, I'll be going for free again. Arrr...

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I never saw Matrix 3 because I was so disappointed with Matrix 2.
I disliked Episode 1 and couldn't stay awake through Episode 2 so I never saw Episode 3.

I thought Xmen 3 was by far the best because it actually used the characters, finally.

If I saw the characters as strongly in POTC2 as I did in POTC1, then I probably would have liked it more...but I didn't. I think Kiera Knightly (or however it is spelled) is one of the worst actresses ever and so Elizabeth is always 2 dimensional for me but in the the first everyone else carried the movie so well it didn't matter. Will didn't have the same passion as the first. Jack was not nearly as witty or intelligent or fun. They brought back tertiary characters and gave them more importance, including using gags over and over (the dog, the eye, etc.).

Overall, for me, the writing didn't give the strong actors enough to work with to really continue with their character developement...they just sat there and went Bleh. I thought the strongest character in this was Lauelton (sp??) and I was thrilled to see him back. He was the only progressive character and still had passion. The point is, he shouldn't have been the strongest.

This is falling well into the realm of too many "leads" and not enough plot or strong writing to carry them through.

It was striking to look at though (not the costumes but the overall appearance) and the fight scenes were quite lovely and meticulous, something I always appreciate.

Pele

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

I never saw Matrix 3 because I was so disappointed with Matrix 2.

Ah you dodged a bullet there pele, Neo starts using his matrix abilitys outside the matrix at one point, the rediculously overly complicated and contribed explination to neos graatness and a feable attempt to give the Oracle an interesting twist just sounds like startrek TNG [censored] when they talk about it, the kind of thing they baffle you with so you dont look too deeply into the ending (wtf!?)

Well thats hollywood for you isnt it. They just throw millions of dollars into mediocre scripts and think thats enough. Put a 12 cetificate on it so they get the maximum ordiance and ticket sales and throw in some flavour of the month stars, with for the most part bad british accents.

Just get an english woman to play the english woman! They dont all talk like Eliza Dolittle you know.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

WiNgZnewbie
19 posts

Posted:
i must admit i was a bit long and they did drag the film out abit.
and yh if u watch the trailer you literaly know what happens in the whole film. that got abit anoyin.

my restless soul is longing, no pain remainds no feeling, eturnity awaits

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Just went to see it and liked it. But then I'm not very demanding with movies, as long as they keep my attention and entertain me I usually like them wink

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Brit_Joe

and throw in some flavour of the month stars, with for the most part bad british accents.

offtopic
There are good British accents/dialects?
tongue

Pele

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
offtopic

tongue

Hell yes! ubblove

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:

offtopic
tongue

Cockney, Somerset, North Moor... biggrin

-Mike

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Anybody interested in being in POC 3? tongue https://www.sandealessicasting.com/pirates.html

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Birgit

Just went to see it and liked it. But then I'm not very demanding with movies, as long as they keep my attention and entertain me I usually like them wink

oh yay! i thought i was the only one. :blush: sorry, i just love movies in general and if it can keep me laughing or jumping or in suspense or anything, i tend to enjoy it. i loved the movie and wouldn't mind seeing it again in the theaters. but i do see your point Pele now that i think about, i just don't normally tend to think to critically about movies. it hurts my brain *giggles*

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
I really enjoyed the film, and it had the same humour as the first, which is nice. The only thing that hacked me off a little is the constant lines referring to POTC1, and that was like... GRRR...

Lines like "now where is the dog with those keys" weren't funny, as the dog with the keys lacked humour in the first film...

TabtI Doubt, Therefore I Might Be
1,007 posts

Posted:
hmmm, i dunno i liked it. even if it was a bit long and had no real ending.

and at least they did refer to the previous film.

too many sequals seem to forget the events in the first film ever took place.

but thank censored for orange wednesdays and student cards!

Owner of Dragosani's right side.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
oh... bugge r! (sorry, coulnd't resist...), forgot about the orange wednesday!!

I want to be a pirate, but I don't think there's enough time for the sex change (nor am I in any way extra tall, short, whatever).

(G.W. Dahlquist)

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Im with the Pounce in that I enjoy most movies. I go rarely due to the cost but I am very non critical.

Is it the Truth?

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I liked about 4 lines, the rest was slightly-higher-than-mediocre filler.

If you didn't see the mini-scene at the end of the first one, then you may be a little confused about something in the second one.

I hope to gods you don't need to see the scene at the end of Pirates 2 to understand something in the 3rd one, that would suck.

Will sucks. Elizabeth sucks. Norrington sucks. Jack kicks ass, but not as well as in the first one. And they brought back my favourite pirate from the first one! Yay!

I would probably say rent it out, rather than see it in cinema. However I'm sure lots of people will tell you different.

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Page: