Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
I have had an interesting idea that if I made a fire proof glove, then made a kevlar glove that fits around it, I could have fire on my hands, similar idea for feet. As I have been doing capoeira lately and am currently producing a show using fire and capoeira, what do people think of doing capoeira using fire on hands and feet?

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I think it might get a bit to hot and a bit to risky. Soak the gloves and put them on the ground and light them and see how big the flame will be. Remember that flames like to travel upward so every time you put a foot down or a hand down the flame will be going up your leg or arm, even worse if the flame is large it might scotch your face too as you move over the supporting arm when you turn/handstand etc. Unless you wear a heat proof and fire proof all in one suit and face mask I think this is a risky idea.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
i have kevlar gloves and sleeves for my job as a welder, i really dont know how they would react to being soaked and lit though.

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
 Written by: idancelikeatwatme

i have kevlar gloves and sleeves for my job as a welder, i really dont know how they would react to being soaked and lit though.

No no no. Bad idea.
They will burn through eventually, onto your hands. Big nasty skin burnage!

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
thats what i thought, they do have amazing heat proof properties to prevent me from getting burmed when welding, but i really wouldnt want to be wearing them whilst they were lit, with or without a fireproof glove underneath.

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
Things tend to be a great deal more heat proof when they aren't the things turned into wicks and set alight.

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
There is no such thing as heat proof, I have the scars to proove it. Heat insulation becomes a convection oven after about half a minute. The fire isn't so much the problem, it is the heat and the fact that you can't bail from gloves and or shoes. By the time you feel heat it's too late.

An alternative is to wear protective gloves and hold on to some fire prop, that way you can drop the prop. You are still in danger of heat though.

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
If I was holding onto a prop, I wouldn't be able to do the cartwheels and handstand moves that I've learnt from doing capoeira, which was what the idea was formed for. If I put the 2 sides of my brain together, I'm sure I can come up with a way to do this.

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

CrunchySaviourSILVER Member
16 posts

Posted:
How about customising a sturdy pair of fireproof gloves with a wire (or other insulating material, which might be a better idea) frame coming from the backs of the hands, which could support the wick?

ie. imagine the Boeing 747 space shuttle transporter is your hand and the wick is the space shuttle. Now imagine the space shuttle is doused in paraffin... et cetera!

As long as the support frame isn't too big, I should imagine you will still be able to do cartwheels. You will probably need archery-style heatproof forearm protection for when you bend your hand back and the wick becomes close to your forearms.

You could incorporate a quick release where the wicks attach so they could be jettisoned in the event of an accident.
EDITED_BY: CrunchySaviour (1152965991)

"Where war yuo Cruanchy Savior?"
"I DONT KNOW!!!!111111111111111"

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
Best I can think of would be to use a kuckle duster kind of handle that fit through the two middle fingers, and a ball of wich on a 5 inch long rod.

That way the fire is connected to your hands without too much burnination, and you can drop it quite easily.

Siegenewbie
2 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

That was a pair of insulated motorbike gloves underneath a pair of welding gloves and a few dabs of kero. I could go about 30 seconds before i'd have to pat them out. The welding gloves are now all shrivelled up and I can't get my fingers into one of them. I have now aquired 2 pairs of very thick insulated kevlar gloves. One with fingers and one without. I havent tried them yet but my recommendation would be something along the lines of a wet bottom layer, kevlar glove, single use outer layer with wick attached and something less smoky than kero.
I know nothing of capoeira though so I dont know how it would affect it or how long you would be able to go for.

Siege

"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam"
(I have a catapult. Give me all your money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Are you hoping to give yourself really bad steam burns?

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Kev_newbie
13 posts

Posted:
Wet under layer + firey burnage all around = instant steam oven, hands ready to serve in minutes (with fava beans and a nice chianti). biggrin

The physics of it are pretty simple - you'll never stop the heat from transferring into the glove, so you need some way to transfer heat away from the area inside the glove, or your hand will cook. I'd go with a wire frame to hold the wicks out of contact with your gloves.

- Honk if you love peace and quiet!

wolfbro001SILVER Member
77 posts

Posted:
I've been working on this one for ages and i can safely say that gloves are next to impossible. the problem with gloves and such is that there is no single system that would be safe for all your tricks. aerials are a hell of alot harder to do with you hands on fire full stop, but the real problem is manauvreability (sp?). there's not alot with your hands covered in kevlar and engulfes in flames. I've experimented with shoes a bit as well, and (good news here) they ARE possible. thick knee-high cotton socks (i recommend DPCU socks from your local army disposal store) are suitable for an underlayer as they act to prevent your legs from spontaneously combusting (:P) and they also give a small amount of protection from heat. the next thing to go on should be a layer of kevlar wrapped around your leg. this is NOT to be lit. it should be like a shinguard that wraps all the way around. i use leather straps to hold it on. this will also be used for heat protection. next, don your old shoes. not covered in kevlar, that's jus silly. now i found the safest way to attact a wick is to make a plate as wide and long as your shoe. a strip of metal should then be folded over your shoe so that it is relatively loose (but still so oyu can move comfortably) so you can slip in and out of it easily. on the back of the plate (near your ankle) attach a quick release mechanism that will only go off when you want it to. (i settled for a small piece of chain that hooks onto a loop on the other side). now you cover the upper side of the curved plate with kevlar. voila. fire shoes. will set you back a bit, but it's the best and safest way that I've found. hope it all made sense wink

Siegenewbie
2 posts

Posted:
Scrap that idea then. I'd be putting myself out before it got that far.

Siege

"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam"
(I have a catapult. Give me all your money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)