Forums > Social Chat > Defining poi in a three minute date....

Login/Join to Participate

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
OK... laugh at you if you must cuz I'm gonna disclose something silly about me. At the end of this month I'm doing "3-minute dating" with a co-worker of mine. The way it works is that you sit in a closed off section of a bar and have a 3 minute "date" with someone. Then the organisers blow a whistle and you shift one seat over and have a date with someone else. At the end of the night, you fill in (secretly) who you liked and, if they liked you too, you get their email. It's fun, it's zany, I have no expectations of meeting Mrs. Right but I figure I should do it while I'm still single. ANYWAY..... What the heck do I do if people ask my what I do for fun (or hobby or during the weekends or whatever)?

The reason why I ask is that it usually takes me about 5 minutes to explain what the heck poi is and I obviously don't have that much time. Most people in the state haven't seen nor heard of it.

I know I'll think of something but I thought you guys would have fun brainstorming...

A one sentence description of fire spinning that doesn't make me sound crazy to a complete stranger... GO:

(THIS should be good)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
NYC to Date:

"Hobbies? Me?

Well funny you should ask. I'm just like a big pussycat really - love playing with balls on the end of string. Only the balls are of fire and the string is more like a whip...."

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
So you've only really got a minute and a half, because you can't take up the whole three minutes without letting them get a word in edgeways right?

I suggest you take some photos along.

Then you could say something like 'a pair of chains each with a wick on one end, I spin them around like this...' and whip out the photos, hopefully inspiring huge amounts of admiration and email addresses

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
hey nyc, just explain what one poi is, that should only take 2.5 minutes.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Bring a set of short chains soaked and ready to go and do a 1 minute routine standing on the table.

Maybe that's a bad idea.

UCOF (emergency)member
129 posts

Posted:
nah mate...thats an amazing idea.

right..... i shad to do this in my univeristy application form on the hobbies and interests bit.. "glorified balls on ropes"

thats all you need...but do take some photots as well...

good on you for the 3 minute dating thing....its a great laugh...basically....say you liked every single girl...that way your chances of someone likeing you are increased ....and bling bling...you get an email address! yipee!

suddenly remembers "you've got mail"...what a silly film!

erm...this is only a temp account until i get home and get the password to my usual account...sorry (itsa still the same flipping wierdo though)

sarah...member
339 posts

Posted:
say to her "i dance with fire"
leaves a sexy mystery in the air
go get em tiger!!!

[ 08. February 2003, 01:35: Message edited by: sarah... ]

Fire... A bushmans telly

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I quite like the pussy cat explaination.. it woudl deffinatly get me..

Soft, fluffy and sweet -yet dark, powerful and masterfull.. mmmm

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Kristy-Leemember
26 posts

Posted:
just say 'I play with fire...' and see if she's interested at all, maybe you'll find a fello twirler and it will be love at first sight....
If not a twirler just someone you could teach a thing or two too..

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Hrmmm .. the photo idea is decent. I'd be self conscious about bringing a photo of myself, maybe I'll bring a photo that I've taken of another spinner. It still seems a bit strange to bring photos.

As for the other ideas Not only won't it attract the girl that I want, I think it will attract several that I don't.

Keep in mind that I'm "normal". And I know pretty much everyone that spins in NYC so I'm doubtful that I'll meet a spinner.

It is tough to say something that doesn't make me sound like a pyromaniac, which I'm not.

Right now I'm thinking:
"I'm in a performance group which works with fire sometimes in clubs and stuff..." er.. but how do I work in poi.

"It's a style of Polynesian Juggling with balls on the end of chains"... but that makes me sound like I wear a grass skirt and do tribal stuff, which I don't.

"Performance art, sometimes dealing with fire."

Hrmm.... this is tough. Still thinkin'.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Also, keep in mind that I'm not actually stressin'... I'm sure it will work out fine. I'm comfortable with strangers, but I thought it'd be fun to get all of your ideas :

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
[Lucky Lady] So what do you do for fun, any hobbies or anything?

[NYC] I'm a fire dancer, for one.

[Lucky Lady] (inquisitive look) How does that work?

[NYC] Well, I hold a couple of chains with a ball of fire on the end of them, I spin them in patterns around my body, and dodge alot

(the "dodge" comment always helps to break the ice)

[Lucky Lady] (laughter) That sounds so cool! Is it dangerous?

[NYC] (rolls up sleeves, showing impressive musculature) No burns here.

[Lucky Lady] Wow, you must be pretty good!

[NYC] I've practiced for ________(amount of time), I also teach beginners. (plant the seed!) So how about yourself, what kinds of stuff are you into?

The formula works dude

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I like it, I like it... now I just need to find some "musculature"...

Key terms:
Dodge
Teach Beginners
Lucky Lady

Keep em' coming...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
That sounds like fun!
Civilians can have weird opinions of spinning, so I wouldn't go too far into details as you'll easily burn time talking about it and not finding out if she a freak 'cos I reckon that's one of the real benefits of a time limit - you're not stuck with an emotional wreck, bible basher or poodle groomer.

Dio's outline looks good. Spend about 20 seconds explaining it, and if they're intrigued they'll come back for more info later. If they're not interested then they're not worth a follow up.

I wouldn't take photos along as for me that might be a strong indicator of nerdish obsession. Fine, we may be nerdish obsessives, but I think it pays to disguise the fact during a 3 minute date

Enjoy dude, and let us know how it goes!

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
You are one of the cutest most adorable and clever man I know so i think pretty much anything you say or do will make them melt, buddy

Photo wise you might want to bring peechures of girls and boys firedancing. For some very odd reason, girls tend to like boys who know cool girls. this is why most girls when they meet a random couple on the streets check the chick first , sort of a competitive thing I guess. LOL maybe that is just french people though caught up in their arrogance and superficiality ?

LOL... I KNOW NYC I KNOW ... the last thing you want is a girl who d fall in that trap, uh ?

However, it might be good for her to see that girls also do this and maybe she might like to try it too ?

Anyway, remember you owe me a INTEGRAL mail about everything that happened, maybe even a phone call, Ok ?

Shine on, buddy, i you
cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Meeting someone you like who also likes you will have a lot less to do with how well you explain your hobbies than to do with how well you get on together.

Maybe let her do the talking? At the end of the day, you may not want a relationship with someone who is more impressed by what you do than the type of person you are.

Remember to show yourself a lot more than the fire, aye?

----

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
"Poi, which is the Polynesian word for 'ball', are weights on some sort of chain or rope that are held in the hands and swung around the body in patterns. Modern poi spinners often use lighted poi or fire poi, which are kevlar wicks soaked in some sort of fuel and lit on fire. It's a sort of dance."

There...that takes about 15 seconds.

You can even add "if we see each-other again, I can give you a demonstration."

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

4,224 posts

Posted:
I would say LISTEN TO CHARLES everyone ... having seen him interact with the woman of his life I am still in awe...

Also true that it is better to let the girl do the talking yet have a few INTERESTING questions...

But then again, I know you are doing that seriously

one thing though, but I know you are sensitive and beautiful so I am not too worried, but remember some girls are doing this seriously... and it is not easy and so make sure you hurt noones feeling...

shine on
cassandra

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
"I like to dance."

No offense NYC but I wouldn't bring it up beyond that. This is why. In three minutes I would assume you would want someone to go "He is a cool guy." Not "He has a cool hobby. If I leech onto him, maybe I can be cool by association." If you say you like to dance, it covers it quickly, concisely and sweetly. It also covers your joy in swing dancing as well.
Besides, you have so many interests love, that I think you could fill three minutes just listing your hobbies!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
NYC, let me know when it's OK for me to start making fun of you for three-minute dating, BTW. K?

-Mike

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I think the 3 min date thing is an excelent idea.. I always find it so hard to meet the right sort of people - this way you get to meet loads.. and decide from there- a veritable smorgaas board - love it - when is it coming to the UK?

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Bring it on Mike. Though you won't be saying anything that I haven't already said. I've always been a serial monogamist (I've always had a long term girlfriend) and know I will soon enough again (they always seem to show up at my doorstep) so I figure I gotta do some silly "single guy" type dating before I settle down.

Why? Got a sister?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
3 minutes is about how long it takes for people to be totally confused about me, then I never see them again. Is there a 1.5 version? Then I can just leave them wondering?
MisStix, you can approach a bar or radio station about it and help set one up. Though the ones I have heard of were 5 minutes. *shrug*

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

4,224 posts

Posted:
Why bother thoses date issues, Pele, aren t we getting married anyway ?

shine on
Cass

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by NYC:
Bring it on Mike.

Why? Got a sister?

Three, actually. Aged 50, 48, and 46. The oldest and youngest are married, the middle one is divorced.

Why? Interested?

-Mike