Forums > Technical Discussion > How do i make my fire poi stay alight for longer?

Login/Join to Participate

androsGOLD Member
3 posts

Posted:
How do i make my poi stay alight for longer?...I have a pair of cathedral fire balls i have bought from this site and they only stay alight for 5 minutes of spinning after dipping them in parafin for one minute...how do i make them stay alight for longer?...

willow2xSILVER Member
KeepTheWorldSpinning Originator
49 posts

Posted:
well i guesse if u let them totaly soak and let them drip till they dont drip anymore theyd be fully fuled... ive only spun with fire the once tho >.<

KeepTheWorldSpinning with me =]

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Cathedrals have a lot of surface area, so they burn brighter and faster. I've got the 3.5" monkey fists and they burn for ages, and I only pour fuel over them. I've never tried soaking them, and probably won't. I don't want to be stuck spinning all night wink

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
^ where do you get 3.5" monkey fist ones from, I can only see 2.5"?

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
You have to buy them as seperate heads (and make sure you get strong chain/cable to go with them).

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

infinitemember
110 posts

Posted:
Add some lamp oil to the mix, maybe like 1/3 of your mix. OR soak them in lamp oil and then a quick dip in kero to get them lit, should burn for a few more minutes..

To those who just "pour" kero on them, I hope that you have a container and are not pouring it on the ground, I have seen too many people do this. Soaking them is the way to go..

dont make peoples heads turn, give them whiplash.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
It may be cheap enough to waste where you live but at £5 for 4 litres I always make sure theres a bucket underneath when I pour.

MuskelungeGOLD Member
55 posts

Posted:
It's not just the cost of the wasted fuel that's the problem; pouring oil into the ground is an easy way to poison the environment.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
how to make them burn longer?

Get bigger wicks.

biggrin

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
try leaving them soaking for a few minutes eg 3 - 5 minutes, you wont get much more than 5 out of thwm but 5 id better htan 2 or 3

Are you up for it?
wink;)

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
The monkeys fist poi do burn longer than cathedrals, but the flame isn't as big. Bigger wicks will burn longer, not to mention you may not want to burn past 5 minutes with larger wicks because you will get tired faster. Lamp oil and Kero are very similar in flame properties, I always suggest lamp oil for longer burns, but getting past 5 minutes.. that's a tough one.

I always wanted to try solid parifin wax. Melt it into the wicks, then use lampoil. As the wax melts out of the wicks, it will burn like lamp oil, only longer... I think. I have never tried it.

I don't think that soaking your poi longer will do much, and make sure you are not flinging fuel. Newer kevlar burns a little longer, if your wicks are old, try new ones.
smile

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

boobookittyfudgeGOLD Member
sneaky little kitty
251 posts

Posted:
adding lamp oil will give you an extra minute or two, but you don't really get more than that.

soak times don't matter all that much. i soaked mine for 30 minutes the other day and i didn't get any more time than if i had soaked them for 5 minutes.

but i wouldn't want them to burn for much longer than5 minutes. that would wear me out.

you want the truth? you can't handle the truth!

mmmmm...cheesecake