Forums > Social Chat > how you stay in shape?

Login/Join to Participate

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
ok we're moving this out of the polling thread..what do you do to stay in shape, either for poi or just in general?I do middleeastern dance which also involves a certain amount of yoga-type stretching in class....we do American Tribal Style, a la fat chance belly dance of sanfrancisco. we're not very focused on performance so its mostly up to me to put it all together if thats what i want to use it for and i havn't been doing it long enough to be good enough to want to do it in public so i dont.also do tai chi which i started doing when dance went on vacation around christmas and continued on with it. strangely enough tai chi classes are right after the dance class on thursdays which means i end up with a 3 hour work out and my poor brain has a hard time adjusting!i used to swim a lot more in sydney where we had an ocean pool just down the road but the pool here kind of sucks and is crowded so i dont bother.cheers,pere

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Well, I start off with 10 pushups, 25 situps. That does it for my stomach, and upper arms. Then I start practicing with my bag poi set...just do forward circles with both arms, then I cross then continuing, then I try both in reverse, then both going opposite directions. I do this every time I practice with hopes that I will get used to all of the different directions and ways that the poi swing. I'll let you know in a couple months if my regiment of training is working. *grin*------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I'm a cyclist, and in a good week I'll put in about 150 miles on the bike, in addition to the commuting I do by bike. This has exactly zero benefit in terms of flexibility or upper-body muscle development, but it has huge cardiovascular benefits when doing a high-energy five-minute performance.I used to go to the gym about three times a week, mostly to work on my upper body. Since taking up poi, I've quit. I twirl almost every day, for at least 20 minutes/day, sometimes 60+ minutes/day. Twirling chains doesn't exercise all the muscles as well as a gym workout--it doesn't seem to work the pecs at all--but it seems to exercise some muscles (lats, shoulders, triceps) more. I joke "if my shoulders aren't sore, it means I'm not practicing enough."I don't do anything for flexibility, and indeed, I am not flexible. I do move my arms around a good bit when twirling, and can do several btb moves without much trouble. But I don't think I have the sinuous full-body motions that some twirlers do. But maybe that's just because I'm a guy (g).

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
I work out with weights 4-5 days a week for about 45 mins to 1 1/2 hours. I also enjoy rollerblading. I normally do at least 10 mile skates when I go. Did over 30 miles one weekend. Usually twirl while Im skating too. Im learning aggressive skating at length. I cant afford true aggro skates yet. I was taking fencing lessons, but had to quit because my schedule changed. That gives you a work out, Ill tell you. Im beginning yoga classes in a few weeks. And I love stairs. Flying up and down them!------------------~I dont care if they eat me alive, Ive got better things to do than survive. ~Ani

Wow

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
i dont work out. i like myself the way i am. and if whatever i plan on doing requires more muscular strength, then simply doing it will build me up to the strength required. (poi for instance, the more you do it, the more you build the muscles required to do it)

Drakemember
72 posts

Posted:
i do karate. and twirl and dance. fun fun funDRAKEkatafunk@hotmail.comwww.geocities.com/katafunk

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
Beer, pizza, an office job with 12 hour shifts, eating litres of ice cream in one sitting, donuts and healthy respect for REM. grin grin grin grin tongue tongue tongue

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Bezerker,tee hee! smileI don't seem to do anything other than firedancing these days. Not that that's a problem *grin*I like walking on the beach. I live only a couple of minutes away. There are a lot of hills around my part of Sydney too. Good exercise smile I'm going to start learning capoeira soon. Can't wait. I think it will help my firedancing enormously. smile

emthrenmember
57 posts

Posted:
Capoeira!Would be insane to put poi to that!Hell, just put two torches into a fighter's hands and have them go for it...Wow, very cool. grin

EyeStormmember
54 posts

Posted:
Talking about Poi and Capoiera, my freind that introduced me to poi a few weeks ago is also intersted in Capoeira. In fact, he tried doing a "no hands" cartheel while spinning a single poi... it looked weird and he almost landed on his face, but with a bit more practice... smileBTW: I mastered the backwards weave today. Woohoo! smile

((m/)) --==EyeStorm==--

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
how do I stay in shape?Well; - Karate twice a week- Ride to work as much as possible- Twirling, 2 long sessions a week at least. (five to 10 little sessions notwithstanding)- Eat fresh food, mainly vego.

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
My kick ass metabolizm keeps me in shape grinlol, I'm quite confident I could digest a block of marble. I eat 3 times what I should and never gain a pound, I suppose I should use it while i got it right?Anyway, I do Tai' Chi' three times a week, rollerblade like its my job, and I also do some beginner yoga. that's about all i can think of------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Capoeira!I go to juggling workshops twice a week, capoeira twice a week, sometimes climb, cycle, mess about playing evryday it's sunny learning stuff in the park. But capoeira with poi or staff-yeah! I've just learnt one handed cartwheels so that goes with staff and poin too probably, good for acrobatic firebreathing. I stay in shape by juggling, capoeira and swinging. I also drink a lot of beer. No health freak.REcovering after Beltane 15,000 audience 300 performers, 35 fire performers, 60 drummers.........

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
lots of Beer....LIGHT beer..------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
Fast metabolism is great N8, i love it! Yo, if you really want to stay in shape, as well as make your spins faster, try getting a pair of those weights like they use in step aerobics and spinning those. Or, once you've spun those and realized the damage they can do, try using sandbags. When you go back to poi or glowsticks, you can go really really fast without losing fluidity or control (provided you keep your wits about you...)

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted - Martin Luther King Jr.

Le Skunkmember
84 posts

Posted:
Use longer/heavier wicks. as i progressed thru the early stages of spinning i went from really really light to "no, you can't use my equipment, not cause i'm an asshole but because you'll break your teeth". I told someone that once and he did it anyway. i said a little disclaimer and watched him smack himself square in the face, turn around, and hand my poi back to me while the blood started flowing from his nose. he said "youre right" and mended his poor nose, and used bean bags from then on.Anyway, i used to be a competitive swimmer, so for years i was in great shape, and as i turned from an adonis to a tv watching, munchies having stoner in my college years, i put on a little belly. then when i started spinning it melted away, and as i added wick size i noticed my arms getting toned again. It's great excercise just practicing, especially if you dance/move/turn/jump a lot as is my style. btw, i don't recommend adding wick size for practicing new moves. more for working out or choreographing a routine. i usully master new moves on the bean bags first, then try with the performance pair. You have to have confidence to spin those things, cause they hurt bad.Another thing this does is slow down your spinning, but that also factors well into my style. if you go real fast you wouldn't want the extra weight. also, don't get too crazy cause you might pull arms out of sockets, or get repetitive stress disorder of some sort.Peax,Skunk

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
yea, i have a pair of cotton that i let my friends use (some insist on using my comets, my friend smacket himself twice in the balls really really hard (he subscribed to the faster is better mentality) before he finally gave up on it) my next pair i buy is going to be fire, that way ill build up more muscles that will be neccessary for when i eventually do use fire, and ill also have the equipment required for it.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hehe Skunk, I'm gonna have to try that increasing the size of my poi trick smileJosh

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
To stay in good shape i do lots of stretching and yoga, also i do stilts and it is great leg exerciser. Tho poi in itself keeps me in pretty good shape. I used to body build, i was 13 stone of pure muscle but am much lighter these days smile

Are we nearly there yet?