Forums > Social Discussion > Scotland - England.......Hooliganism!

Login/Join to Participate

LilBBoySILVER Member
Discoverer of Rainbow Cheese
143 posts

Posted:
Okay. Just thought I'd start a thread on this, get peoples views on this subject. It's getting worse. It started with one incident, and now it comes up in the papers every month. It's getting beyond a joke, if ever it was one.

Scotland & England get along OK, but when it comes to football, articles such as "Scottish Racist Attacks" come up regularly. What is it about England's football team that Scotland hates so much? What is it about Scotland's football team that England hates so much?? I'm not trying to say that everyone is like that. Yeah, it's a minority, but I don't think it should exist at all. I think we should start a petition for tougher laws on football racism. The "Kick Racism Out Of Football!" campaign has been very effective, but in my opinion, not effective enough.

What do you think?

Time does not exist. In theory, everything with a beginning has an end. Therefore, only things with an end can have a beginning. As time has no end, it has no beginning, therefore does not exist. GO PHILOSOPHY!!!
Brittle Week was the shizz!!!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
it doesn't help when you get idiots like andrew murray sticking their oar in.

rather than trying to help the situation, he has greatly exacerbated it and has transferred the negative energy from football into tennis.

he openly stated that he wanted england to lose and then got upset when people posted comments like "absolutely superb to see you going out - wishing you and all of your fellow countrymen every failure for the future." on his blog.

what did he think was going to happen?!

i'm not saying he's racist - its exactly the kind of banter i enjoy, especially watching a game of football with friends in the pub - but when you yourself are a professional sportsman, openly stating that you want a particular team to lose based purely on your prejudices against their nationality isn't the most sensible way to present yourself is it?

for a start, there is no opportunity for anyone to retort with similar banter since the press is not generally interested in what the average footy fan has to say when faced with a comment like murray's.

to put it in focus, i could say "i want anyone to win this tennis tournament except andy murray" which, in that context, is equivalent to "i want andy murray to lose".

if when asked why i would wish that, i reply "because he's scottish", i would be consider that to be a negative racially motivated comment.

not cool.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
My thoughts arent on scotland v England, so i apolagise for not being completly relevant, but i will point out my view and experience on the subject of racism and football.

When it comes to football or anyother type of competition/sport between countrys, it will cause conflicts between the different groups of people, and in some cases is quite healthy (i.e. support for your own team) BUT, and i will use the obviouse example of England v Portugal on saturday, the behaviour of some supporters has become over the top.

I think the point im going to make is basically around football, because thats the area being highlighted constantly when it comes to racist and agressive behaviour in sport.

Now i dont usually watch football, but i thought that id go to the pub with some of my friends to show support for my country and enjoy (what id assumed it would be) a fun atmosphere for the match.

I was disgusted by the amount of bad language, especially in front of children, the mannor the way some of the men shoved people who where hindering their view and so on. But what shocked me the most, which is the main part related to your question, was how many people shouted racist abuse and nasty comments to the opposing team!

Now im sure if you are a football fan and watched that match, there was probably a few things that miffed you about tactics etc but as far as i am concerned, its still a game and tactics are part of it. But there is no need to start abusing people, using their herritage, race or any other characteristic in attempt to blow your anger.

As someone who doesnt follow football that much, i was still gutted by the outcome of the match, but a games a game, we lost and ill get over it. We lefted as soon as it finished and thank god we did!
As soon as we got outside the streets were already filling with drunk supporters in the heat, and so i went the long way home instead of going through town.
A few hours later i heard there had been extreme rioting! It had been on the news, the police were out in full riot gear and everything had got out of hand.

The behaviour of some people is utterly herendus. but what doesnt help is the newspapers! Im sure youve all seen what some of the prints have said, and in my opinion has helped fuel the behaviours and opinions of some of these fans which are causeing the trouble and using racist abuse.

Hate is such a nasty thing and can cause no end of problems, and i dont know enough to suggest a cure, or a way of dealing with the racism so these events dont continue or escalate.

Its one thing to tighten the laws, but with ever change, therell be another problem created. - (bah ive used all my brain fuel on this now and im running short! wink )

But it would be interesting to see what others think, but i agree with you, and think more should be done to harness racism and violence, especially in sport!

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
so your saying rangers and celtic NEVER fight and it's not racist

just like hearts and hib's

scotland is devided, and has been for a long time. the highlanders don't like the low landers and the catholics HATE the protestans

ethnic diversity in action ubblol

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
As for english and scottish football teams, I think they should both be abolished, and we should enter a United Kingdom team instead. With Emphasis on the united.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
clap clap clapExcellent point Ed!

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
ditto what Ed said. As long as Thierry Henry's on the pitch I'm happy ubblove

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

7,193 posts

Posted:
i think they should make race, nationality and ALL religeon illegal.

one world, one life, one community.......... to much seperation and secret insanity wink

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
how can they make race nationality and religion illegal? you're talking jibber jabber, boy!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

7,193 posts

Posted:
fair play jo but people should learn to chill out about this type of stuff, ok so your football team lost, you go and start fights with other nationalitys because their team beat your team, seems silly to me. what dose it/will it acheive?

*hypatheticly speaking

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I wholeheartedly agree with you, rave hug but you cant ban race or religion or nationality. you can ban hooliganism though.
it would be nice if people calmed down, after all "it is only a game". whats nice is the unity with sport, everyone cheering for their own team, commiserating each other if they lose.
but getting hostile is just silly.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I don't like football biggrin biggrin biggrin

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
and what about tennis...? wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
What about it?

Thought this was a thread about football???

*looks to top of page*

oh yeah....bloody scottish!

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
i was just looking for a sexy pic of Thierry Henry ubblove to post in here, instead i found this!
WARNING: it's rude. eek

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

"Wooooooooow. That's huuuuuuuuuuge!" cried Cole

ubblol

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

LilBBoySILVER Member
143 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Ze_Bubbles

...and i will use the obviouse example of England v Portugal on saturday, the behaviour of some supporters has become over the top.

I completely agree. After full time on this game, I was on the way home (I had been at the shows/fair/funfair/whateverucallit!) and I went to the bus station. People were pouring out of the pubs wearing Portugal flags round their bodies..........ALL SCOTTISH PEOPLE! What a surprise! (note the sarcasm). They were screaming "Yeahhhhhhhhhh! Gooooooooooooo the Portugallllllll!" and i was like "Whaaaaaaaaat!?" lolsign

Time does not exist. In theory, everything with a beginning has an end. Therefore, only things with an end can have a beginning. As time has no end, it has no beginning, therefore does not exist. GO PHILOSOPHY!!!

LilBBoySILVER Member
143 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ravehead

so your saying rangers and celtic NEVER fight and it's not racist

just like hearts and hib's

scotland is devided, and has been for a long time. the highlanders don't like the low landers and the catholics HATE the protestans

ethnic diversity in action ubblol

Hehe! I'm not saying that! Besides, Rangers (Scottish), Celtic (Scottish). Shows biased division within countries. I feel geeky now biggrin

LilBBoySILVER Member
143 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Liquifies_Through_Contact

As for english and scottish football teams, I think they should both be abolished, and we should enter a United Kingdom team instead. With Emphasis on the united.

Man I have to quote a lot lol! I totally agree, and I would be compleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetely happy with this if it happened, were it not for the fact that (and tell me if you have noticed this!):

If Scotland (or one of our athletes) wins a sporting event, England will say "And what a memorable day for GREAT BRITAIN!"....

...but if England (or one of their athletes) wins a sporting event, they will say "What a fantastic victory for ENGLAND!" (not Great Britain).

I'm not here to spark off a racial arguement between the Jock's & the Georgie's! Just here to gather views! biggrin

LilBBoySILVER Member
143 posts

Posted:
 Written by: maus

oh yeah....bloody scottish!

eek lol!

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
hug ubblol

LilBBoySILVER Member
143 posts

Posted:
Lol! If I knew where cornwall was I'd say something like that myself :P but, just in case i'm right....

...Bloody Welsh! biggrin

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
bloody southeners

wink

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ravehead

i think they should make race, nationality and ALL religeon illegal.

one world, one life, one community.......... to much seperation and secret insanity wink

Why did I not spend hours chatting to you about this at Play?
rolleyes
I am a firm believer in no religion, no unneccary regulation and no nations (and so no borders).

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
 Written by: LilBBoy

Lol! If I knew where cornwall was I'd say something like that myself :P but, just in case i'm right....

...Bloody Welsh! biggrin

um... close but no cigar... the conish want to se up their own country.. (it's where lands end is wink )

and bubbles... bloody northeners, westerners easteners and midlanders ubblol

oh and bubbles..I agree with you biggrin

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
 Written by: LilBBoy

...Bloody Welsh! biggrin

oi oi 'nuff of that. as you will be aware 16 man egg chasing is the preferred sport of choice this side of the severn, nevertheless until somebody finishes Wembley we have to host great thousands of ye hoooligan types at the millenium stadium, overrunning cardiff and making me queue for my lunchtime pasty.... tchah!!

although i think at one point Cardiff City FC had the largest number of football hooligans in the UK redface

and yes it is local principle that Wales supports whoever is playing against England in the rugby, but that's just funny, because the english fans get so uppity about it... biggrin

peace and love you weird sport loving freaks! biggrin

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
he only said it because of me being welsh lol

oh and i like playing tennis, but not watching it. smile

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

LilBBoySILVER Member
143 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TinklePants

he only said it because of me being welsh lol

biggrin

drugstore cowboySILVER Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:

If Scotland (or one of our athletes) wins a sporting event, England will say "And what a memorable day for GREAT BRITAIN!"....

...but if England (or one of their athletes) wins a sporting event, they will say "What a fantastic victory for ENGLAND!" (not Great Britain).

thats so true and it pisses me and all my scottish friends right off

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
Who the heck is watching f'ball when we're doing so well at the cricket? You'd never have this sort of thing going on in a real game. Really you get far worse sledging than this between players in the Ashes, and we can all still have a laugh together at the end of the day.

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.