ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Please be warned this is a major rant.

I have had the displeasure of dealing with employment agencys for a great deal of the past four years. Arsn has done a lot of temp contract work for them and we have had nothing but trouble.
They dont pay you when they say they will, or they pay you incorrectly, take out far too much tax... etc etc...

Here in Australia the theory is that if you regester with an emloyment agency they contact you, arrange an interview and then match your skills to hundreds of jobs on the database for the Australian government etc.

Yeah I said THEORY. Arsn has been regersted with 23 different agencys for the better part of two years. We actively seek work through them and are searching for a fulltime job for him. In those two years we have been contacted by them twice. One of those times was a mistake. Wrong person.
The one time he was contacted it was for "a full time job with a brewery" He was assured by the employment agency that the job was ongoing full time and GREAT money...26.00 an hour.

Arsn left his temp job for this job at the brewery only to be told when he arrived there it was a temp job for TWO DAYS ONLY. We were without a job over Christmas.

Now its hard enough when you are bringing up a family, to have work that pays well enough to provide for said family. But when you are then wasting precious resources, time and work opportunitys, chasing a BULLSHIT promise made by an employment agency, that just bolis my blood. Espically when they are lying to you.

A week and a half ago Arsn attended a job interview with a huge Telco and was told he would be advised about the job. We are still waiting to hear.

he has rung them everyday and was told on Monday that if they hadnt contacted him by tuseday lunchtime that he would be unsuccessful.
They didnt ring on Tuesday so we thought he didnt get it...but GET THIS... Arsn rang to make sure so we can start to apply for more jobs and she said flippantly..."oh yeah... still havent heard so didnt bother calling"

I know they must be busy but does it take a momet to call and say..."hey havent heard yet so dont be dispointed, will keep you informed" The irony of this whole thing is that the job is in the COMMUNICATIONS industry...Doesnt seem that they know anything about communications.

I have spoken to the lady when she rang here to offer Arsn a second interview and she was blown away by him. He has ALL the skills that they require, Is fantastically presented, has all the knowledge and says the right things. He is also wonderful on the phones. The ladys exact words were "he is so fantastic to interview, we wnat him back straight away I have gotton him in for another interview TODAY at 3.00pm"
So arsn has to leave temp work that day for the shortnotice interview. I have all the faith in the world in Arsns ability, so I know that its not him that is the problem... its the friggin agencys.

So the inetrview was a week and a half ago... no word. Arsn has been offered other interviews during this time which we had to turn down becasue they were a conflict of interest (interviews with other telcos.)These were interviews he worked his butt off to get. We have had to turn them down becasue this particular Telco and employment agency are too distracted to get their [censored] together.

We are trying our butts off here, and I am so incredibly frusterated and Arsn is just so tired all the time.

I wish that business people would keep their word.

/rant. frown frown frown

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
yeah. i'm signed with two employment agencies at the moment but i dont really expect either of them to help me find a job.

the only thing employment agencies are good for is employing their own staff.

arg *stabs employment agencies*

the worst part about employment is trying to find it.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

wolfbro001SILVER Member
77 posts

Posted:
*nods in agreement*

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Have you tried ignoring the agency completely, and calling the Telco direct?

Maybe you might get a more sensible answer from them?

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Why do you have to turn other interviews away?

Here the temp agencies are about the same. You have to hound them day and night to make sure that you even get an interview.

However, just because we get an interview here doesn't mean that we stop looking. That way, if we interview 6 times and are offered 3 positions, we can choose the one that best suits us instead of putting all our eggs in one basket.

Also here it is illegal for them to have exclusivity contracts (if you have an interview with one you can't interview with another...that is illegal). So I'd say go to them all and take the one that is best.

Best of luck to you!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Agencies also tend to take peopl on with no intention of placing them; they just like to have loads of people on their books. When I was looking for my job I signed with about 5, only one of which did anything. One of them even advertised non-existant jobs in order to get people to sign with them.

I later found out that the agency who did eventually get me placed (by virtue of having done the same degree in the same department as my boss) was kind of minimising my chances with potential employers by saying "well, she's being really fussy and screwing us around a bit..." when I really wasn't. Once they even accidentially forwarded me an internal e-mail calling me a silly cow.

I got those two fired and my company no longer uses them.

Agencies. Meh.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
If you dont mind me asking (Or would prefer to pm me) which agency was it? I have been using Select Appointments in brisbane and they have been good to me.

I was first looking for a full-time job and they did get me one interview which i didnt get because apparently the employer decided that i was too keen and would become bored of the job after a few months and quit because i was overqualified (Oh come on... let me make that decision, you dont know me)

As soon as i phoned them and told them that i just needed a job quickly they phoned back with 3 job offers in two days. I started on a temp contract with the gov in march through them, i am still in the same position and loving it.

Hey it cant be that bad if i can post on hop while at work :P

Oh and best of luck with everything, im sure things will work out for the best in the long run smile
EDITED_BY: basstones (1152138987)

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
I'm so sorry that you and Troy are going through this. I'm glad to say that I haven't been through any of this when working with employement/temporary agencies. I'll count myself lucky.

Troy, no more passing up interviews. Take what ever interviews you can get!! hug

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:

Sure, i've been contracting with agencies for six years now. sotrry to hear that their crap is having such a negative effect on your life...

If you can, do all the interviews possible. Accept whatever jobs are offered based on:

'Im waiting to hear from another company and hope to make a descision tomorow, can you wait?"

Followed with

"Can you pay me more?"

Dont forget that they work for you... Its your money that pays their commision...

If you have a complaint then contact that company and get it dealt with, go as high in the food change as you have too... you'll be surprised with the results. spending christmas unemployed and worried is a very valid complaint...

I hope it picks up and arsn gets the job of his dreams smile

Love is the law.

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Im glad i don't have those problems .

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Once upon a long time ago I used to train recruitment agents in interviewing skills at a particular agency. I won't say those kinds of things never happened at that agency (they probably did but I didn't get to see them). The official processes we trained them in probably differed markedly from their tactics when they left the training room, especially as they were under immense pressure to perform.

These people you have been dealing with are really setting themselves up to look like idiots. It is highly unlikely that a large telco will make that quick a decision on hiring, especially when you factor in the usual distractions of deadlines, people being away, etc etc.

The best idea when dealing with agents is to try and either find someone who is a friend of a friend, or try and make them your friend. Be very very clear about your circumstances to, because they are working for you as much as they are working for the company. They are an intermediary, not an employer.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
In Australia, I'd suggest staying well clear of any Job Network Providers... I have done temping for Hays and Robert Walters (in Melbourne) and they've both been pretty good...

I've had problems getting a job in the past, and I think the lesson I learnt was you need to make a *great* impression in your initial interview. If you blow them away with your skills and attitude, they will find you work without you having to call day after day. The day after I resigned for one job, Hays were ringing me again asking me to go for another position.

Easy to say, interviewing isn't easy... It sounds lame but sitting down with a mate and practising interviewing really helped my interview skills.

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
I have been on hire - fire - self emplyoment for years myself and know how frustrating jobhunting can be.

Still, my very strong advice are

- never assume an agent has more interest in you than yourself whatever freindly words they say
- any employer will rearrange an interview to a time convenient for you if you explain to them that you are busy at work, so get to talk to an employer directly
- they call you when they want you, sometimes company decision process can be slow as absent people need to have been asked etc buit in general no news means no
- never turn down an interview with someone after another interview that looked promising. Politely talk to anyone until you scored a contract ...

Well I dont know Australia but I guess its the same anywhere in the world. Make sure your CV and presentation is TOP, correct but polished up to the max. Hunt till you're there, dont rely on agents. Never forget you're dealing with people and the first impression counts, make sure you come across as polite, reliable but confident in everything you do ...

Best of luck. BTW, have seen Arsn on Col and just love his style ...

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
I GOTS A JOB!

and it was my brother that got it for me, sooooo

SCORE SO FAR;

Brother: two.
Best Friend: one.
Employment Agencies: Nil

in Tassie its not what you know, its who you know wink

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
LOL... I got this job from a friend...

AND straight from the employer...

Congratz btw. bounce2 bounce bounce2

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
gosh! after getting a job yesterday i just got ANOTHER job interview this sunday, which i'd actually quite sure i'll get but am afraid of gettin cause it'll complicate things.........why cant things ever be simple!?!?!?!

score to date;

Brother: three
Friend: one
employmen agencies: nil.

*sigh*, one minute i'm unemployed and care free, two days later i'm employed and stressed......work sucks tongue

DragosaniGOLD Member
sunset seadragon
679 posts

Posted:
Ermm, on the chance of being unpopular...
/rant
I work as a consultant in an employment office. We only do hotels, restaurants and café's.
I've given a FT job to 5 ppl this week, two of them didn't bother showing up the second day, didn't even bother to call and hav vanished from the face of the earth.
In defence of job agencies worldwide, most of us really are trying to get you THAT job that you really like.
We do NOT get commisions on your wages, but charge the client for selecting the right person. That charge is peanuts if you see the workload that goes into contracting someone and managing their paperwork.
We do, however, get money from the government everytime we succeed in giving someone an FT job, when they are unemployed for a certain amount of time.
I get satisfaction from my job, even though it has a lot of downsides. Sometimes I even get ppl thanking me for finding them a job and helping them to rearange their lives.
If I look around me, I see that most of my colleagues are the same way.
I'm sorry for all who have had trouble with temp agencies, but we are not all mad2 devilspawn!!!
/end rant

some of us even spin fire biggrin (ermm, I know of at least one)

“A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.” - Oscar Wilde
Jointly owned by FreyaJ, Birgit and Aurinko