Simon130newbie
10 posts

Posted:
Hello!!

I was recently using my AJA Devil Sticks performing at a ball, after about 30mins or so of fire the stick was incredibly slippy due to the soot, same problem I've had with my previous radical fish stick. The foil has also started to come of the AJA stick so I thought I'd investigate a new set... ...and I found these:

https://www.oddballs.co.uk/acatalog/Fire_Devil_Sticks.html
-6th one down, ALU devil stick, does anyone have any experience of this stick, is as slippy when covered in soot? Is it worth paying the extra few quid for it?

Cheers

Simon
Nr Bristol

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
My experience of fire devilsticks has been that they all get covered in soot / fuel and become slippery.
To be honest fire ruins devilsticking for me. I hardly ever use my fire stick at all. A few of us were discussing this at Play.

I've been toying with using pixie staffs instead of devilsticks recently. They seem to work a lot better to be honest. A small staff (slightly longer than a devilstick) with small wicks on is the way forward I think. They dont really need to be tapered as the weight comes from the wick rather than the stick itself anyway. It also works quite nicely to have a suede grip in the middle of the stick and about a 6 inch gap between grip and the wick.

Its still prohibitive though.

I cant wait to see a good LED devilstick.

Simon130newbie
10 posts

Posted:
Seye,

Have you looked at these? https://www.oddballs.co.uk/acatalog/Glow_Devil_Sticks.html

I think firetoys.com also have some alternative colours...

Si

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Ive used them a few times - Simta has one.

They are not very bright at all. We spent ages trying to get some photo's with one and eventually gave up and went back to fire.
They are also very flexible (not necessarily a bad thing but just a bit odd).

Aerotech might bring out a range of 'devilstick ultimates' but thats a long way off yet and likely to be obscenely pricey.
I'm hoping that Hyperlight is still seriously thinking about making some devilsticks when the poi are finished.

Simon130newbie
10 posts

Posted:
Seye, you seem to be the devil stick guru, well you're the only one replying, so I'll bombard you with questions- any recommendations on material to improve my skills? I've been using them for years but haven't really pushed my self, just some basic tricks.... ...I've looked at quite a few websites with tricks on them, but is there anything else out there, short cuts, magic potions, anything to speed me on my way?!

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
If I had known, Seye, I would have let you use my Aerotech Devilstick at PLay!!

Oh well...

The best fire devilstick I've ever seen and used is the concentrate fibre glass core one...

The brushed aluminium tape finish has great grip, even when sooty.

Otherwise, try rubbing it down with a cloth after every use...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Simon130

Seye, you seem to be the devil stick guru, well you're the only one replying, so I'll bombard you with questions- any recommendations on material to improve my skills? I've been using them for years but haven't really pushed my self, just some basic tricks.... ...I've looked at quite a few websites with tricks on them, but is there anything else out there, short cuts, magic potions, anything to speed me on my way?!

I'm definitely not a devilstick guru! I like to play though biggrin
I was just in the garden trying to do some video's actually. I decided that they were all too sloppy and deleted them from the camera though. I'll have another go in a bit.

I spent the whole of the devilstick workshop at Play trying to explain how devilstick fishtails work so I thought I'd make some footage for people to have a look at. Conatct devilstick (as far as I know) has only really been poineered by DSAds (who I am yet to meet) but its a brilliant way of pushing what can be done with the 3 sticks. Try looking at megs site. She does everything with big sticks but most of it can be done with a small one too.

I'll head back out to the garden to see if I can film anything of any use.

Ed - I didnt know you had an aerotech devilstick. Next time there's a meet I'll have to have a play with it biggrin

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
yeah, and as for the contact devilstick thing, I do contact devilstick, and ALL the stuff on meg's site is possible with a devilstick. It's just harder...

Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Be Water My Friend.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Liquifies_Through_Contact

yeah, and as for the contact devilstick thing, I do contact devilstick, and ALL the stuff on meg's site is possible with a devilstick. It's just harder...

I never seem to see you devilstick at all. Well maybe for about 2mins the first time I met you. You are always playing with your balls or smoking wink

I still havent managed to do a smooth jesus yet. Or even a chest (or frontside?) halo for that matter. I think its judging the tiny throw thats needed for the initial shoulder wrap. I will get it eventually.
EDITED_BY: Seye (1152031122)

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

The fire devil sticks I've been making quite successfully for the last year are based upon a straight duralamin / alluminium former typically 10mm with a wall thickness of 2mm, which is abraided for the shaft length, and usually fitted with around 50cm of 65mm kevlar per head. I've been told they work really well, have made enough of them for peeps.

mark

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:

If I had known, Seye, I would have let you use my Aerotech Devilstick at PLay!!

u [censored]!!!

i dont believe you had an aerotech ds and didnt tell anyone, ive been wanting to play with one of those for a damn long time, next meet i wud love to play with that, im sure i cud do some very beautiful things lol

but yes me n seye were talking alot about fire ds, and to be honest i really dont like it

for me the biggest problem is the fact that it isnt a devilstick, cos the weighted ends mean the momentum isnt distributed evenly, which is the very same reason i dont like flowersticks

i realised at play i jus really dont like it, i been thinkin of gettin a uv stick wud be cool, i already have uv handsticks that are incredibly bright

and the guy wanting to know where to go next with the ds, i suggest instead of constantly looking for different tricks to learn, why not start to think about your body in relationship to the ds and the way you move whilst playing with it

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Sim - what the censored has happened to you?

When did you start making sense and offering sound advice?

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Seye

Sim - what the censored has happened to you?

When did you start making sense and offering sound advice?

ive always made sense and offered sound advice, you just never realised

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Simon130

Seye,

Have you looked at these? https://www.oddballs.co.uk/acatalog/Glow_Devil_Sticks.html

I think firetoys.com also have some alternative colours...

Si

i have the 7 color change one, on the site as 'rainbow' one as seen on here https://www.firetoys.co.uk/juggling/glow_devil_sticks_pro_glo.html

i dont use it or really like it, its jars a bit, and isnt that bright, altho i think if i properly cleaned mine n stuff wud be a bit brighter lol

if you did actually want it, i cud probably let it go for like a tenner, they are £25 on the site, im also open to bargaining if you're interested

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
I cant believe i didnt have any devil sticks for play recently i have got so into them its unbelivable i am in a parade soon doing devilstick passing i am hoping to pick upp devil stick contact soon.... Are any of you going to welsh/English border meet up

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
Hey, I dont use devil sticks. Not my style of play, but am addicted to flowersticks (mainly crystal stix brand. so far have found nothing else that compares) Has anyone tried the fire stix from hotstix.biz? If they have any of the control you'd get from crystal stix they'd be awesome. Or does the soot make them as slippery as any other set of fire stix?

Im a Thespian, But I'll Act Normal Around You Guys

RezaSILVER Member
21 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Seye

I'm hoping that Hyperlight is still seriously thinking about making some devilsticks when the poi are finished.

yes me too!! i have one of the £25 glo ones off firetoys, it is blue one end red the other, for the price it is really good, although a bugger to get used to after using normal devil sticks! also the red and blue ends take different size batterys which is nice and confusing when ordering more!

devil stick matrix...

miestamember
101 posts

Posted:
i usually just make my own fire devilsticks, i hate how they role when playing, i know how to fix it, just need to make a new one.

does anyone know of any videos of the best or better devilstick players in the world?
and has anyone heard of contact devilstick? can anyone else do, or have vids of it?

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
 Written by: psyboy

i usually just make my own fire devilsticks, i hate how they role when playing, i know how to fix it, just need to make a new one.

does anyone know of any videos of the best or better devilstick players in the world?
and has anyone heard of contact devilstick? can anyone else do, or have vids of it?

I have some good websites with some amazing tricks in tutorials, im at work though so dont have all the links here. Will see what i can dig up

Have seen some people attempting contact devilstick. Forget who, but someone was trying it with my set at juggle jam once smile

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
i seen someone do a arm roll down into a halo roll

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I do a bit of contact Devilstick, and DsAds is the man when it comes to contact devilstick.

Just like contact staff, but with a smaller stick...

Be Water My Friend.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:

Just like contact staff, but with a smaller stick...

so the same as baton twirling then?

get yer lycra out ed... tongue

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
can jus bout do steves with my aja

miestamember
101 posts

Posted:
aja? steves? halo roll lol
there are so many strange names that ive never heard of, and ive been juggling and twirling for years

Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
ah halo roll is from staff aja is a make of devilstick

Your get used to it after a while but yeah there is a lot of jargon going round at the moment

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
tis lots of geeky foolery, it is useful tho when chattin like this

if you checkout https://mcp.tepookatoys.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=1&Itemid=30

you can see the staff contact moves im talking about, and yeh, the only difference is the size of the stick, i reckon pretty much all of it can be done with a ds if ya good enough

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
I have a suggestion for cool videos. I found this while lookin for some crazy good DS

Dude is insane from my perspective. Ive never actually had a chance to play with any myself.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Wow - Necrobump!

That guy's style is pretty cool. He has some cool tricks too.

Looks like I'm going to spending a lot of the summer at home while everyone I know goes to festivals. I think it's about time I made a video. I'll post one with some contact tricks and extra stuff as soon as I've found a camera and some editing software.

:-)

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Almost makes devil sticks look worth learning. wink

Never had the patience, but that looked pretty cool.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
hehe, he does a little bit of contact to. youtube does wonders for random video searchs

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop