Forums > Social Discussion > muslim intergration (yeah right lol)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
“There will be no smoking, no alcohol and halal food only.

Hmmm...

That's really funny, because when I went to Egypt, a country that is predominantly Muslim, Pretty much EVERYBODY smoked...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I understand their reason's for doing this but I can see it backfiring creating even more segregation, especially with those who try to get in on the day and fail...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Yell fire!SILVER Member
151 posts

Posted:
Pretty daft, though I guess it's like hiring a venue and having a private party. Technically nothing wrong with it.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Well, it's not like having a private party. A private party is for you and people you know, or from an organisation etc.

It's more like a women's only day in the sauna, I guess, you could call that discrimination, too. But still I don't like the idea that a whole park is closed to anyone not from a certain religion. Or was it only the park that wouldn't give the other guys tickets, but the muslim organisation would?

I can see the benefits of a day without smoke, alcohol or annoying music, though smile Not too sure about the halal ONLY food.
EDITED_BY: Birgit (1152008177)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
the sun rolleyes

go look at the islamic leisure site - nowhere does it say that the day they have arranged is muslim ONLY.

its just a day designed to cater specifically to practicing muslim families.

the park obviously made a mistake when they refused to sell mr hughes his tickets and should instead have simply warned him of the booking and special arrangements that have been made for that day before directing him to the islamic leisure site shrug

as far as i can tell, anyone can freely buy tickets for the park, through the organisation that has organised the day, online with absolutely no requirement to state religious preference (or any other form of discrimination).

this is just another case of tabloid reporting designed to get the reactionaries up in arms frown

and there is absolutely no mention of no smoking by the way - check it out for yourself:

the lowdown

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
hug2 for Cole... see you soon mister
x

Getting to the other side smile

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Also it doesnt say that only halal food will be served, it simply says there will be halal food stalls, I know some muslims that dont stick to their religous rules too seriosuly such as they smoke and even dont eat halal foods or obey the rules of ramadam, so I'm sure this event caters for such muslims too, I'm sure the Mc Donalds will still be open along with regular meat hotdog stalls etc just simply there will also be halal food stalls should they want it. I think it's a good idea, but could be taken the wrong way, and could only encourage distance between the Islam cultures and others

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
It's definitely a good idea fot all the Muslim girls that aren't allowed to go on a regular day smile though maybe it would be a better idea for someone to encourage their parents to let them go any day, and for the park to consider if playing music (some of which is probably "suggestive") and allowing drinking and smoking are good for an environment aimed at children in the first place wink

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

TabtI Doubt, Therefore I Might Be
1,007 posts

Posted:
i think its a nice idea. smile although they could have thought more thoroughly about how other communities might interpret the day.

i am sure it isn't something that strict muslim families would normally partake in, so an environment has been created that they would feel comfortable in.

i agree with coleman that mr hughes should have been notified by alton towers that he was welcome on the day but should purchase his tickets from a separate organisation.

Owner of Dragosani's right side.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I'm all for ethnic diversity and integration. However, to me the faint smell of capitalism is in the air.
It's as if they've thought "ahh the muslim community can give us some money".
Maybe I'm too cynical? shrug

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FreyaJ

mr hughes should have been notified by alton towers that he was welcome on the day but should purchase his tickets from a separate organisation.

like jo said capitalism, a place like alton towers isn't really going to turn round and say to mr hughes "sorry the muslim communitys hired us for the day but you can purchace tickets off them for a reduced price"

theme parks in this country suck anyway, well they do the world over but look at some of the rides in the US eek and all we have is oblivion, air and the big one in blackpool to name a few of the half decent rides. ubblol

TabtI Doubt, Therefore I Might Be
1,007 posts

Posted:
stealth is good!!!

but thats at thorpe park...

actually most of the rides at thorpe park are good now.

Owner of Dragosani's right side.

7,193 posts

Posted:
look at the "superman" ride3 in the states though 0-180mph in less than 3 seconds eek *thats when you find out adrennaline IS brown*

zombiedaleBRONZE Member
31 posts

Posted:
Gotta love the sun's classy headline first story whenever approach to news reporting.

As far as what is happening at Altons Towers, what do you know a half thought out money making idea falls flat on its face.

At least it isn't actually discriminatory, its just being nice to the muslims by not forcing them to down keggars at a children theme park.

Hold on there is booze at Altons. I didn't know. hmmm...
EDITED_BY: newagebastard (1152020705)

And as the skin rips off i cherish the revolting thought That even if i quit There's not a chance in hell i'd stop- The Dresden Dolls

The truth no matter who it hurts - Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis

7,193 posts

Posted:
I Find ALL theme parks disgusting money pits. they overload the fizzy drinks with LOADS of ice, and make it from some syrupy goo that makes you more thirsty. this country trys to claim it's cheaper to holidy at home but when you take a family of four to a theme park you don't get much change off £100 and thats just to get into the place, and to buy 3 hot dogs and 3 drinks don't expect much back from the £15 you just forked out on junk...............expect to pay over £200just for a day out in the UK..........hell i could go to amsterdam for a weekend on that ammount ubblol AND that would include a visit to the er............the museums wink

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
there's going to be a gay day at alton towers soon too. can you imagine all those screaming guys! lol

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I don't think my eardrums can take such shrieking...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

zombiedaleBRONZE Member
31 posts

Posted:
Genius, finally people will know how to match their day clothes to every particular ride they wish to go on.

Such information as been held from us to long, too long i say!!!

And as the skin rips off i cherish the revolting thought That even if i quit There's not a chance in hell i'd stop- The Dresden Dolls

The truth no matter who it hurts - Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis

LilBBoySILVER Member
Discoverer of Rainbow Cheese
143 posts

Posted:
I think this is a really good idea 'cos Muslims can't go on a normal day cos there is no Halal food, and there is alcohol, smoking and music. I think Muslims aren't allowed to listen to music because it distracts the mind from God. shrug

Time does not exist. In theory, everything with a beginning has an end. Therefore, only things with an end can have a beginning. As time has no end, it has no beginning, therefore does not exist. GO PHILOSOPHY!!!
Brittle Week was the shizz!!!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok. Here's how you go about this:

1) You announce the park CLOSED for the day for rental by a private organization.

2) You refuse to sell tickets to anyone but the organization renting the park.

3) You let that organization sell the tickets. They can choose to sell to whomever they like.

But if any business, on any day, refused to sell me a ticket on account of my religion, even knowing the rule would reversed the next day, I would never frequent that business again.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I think that as long as they would do it for ANY organisation, or business then I don't have a problem with it.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

7,193 posts

Posted:
it's not like Muslims can go on any other day or time, just because people smoke, the park has music, and it's so hard for Muslims to take a packed lunch like 80% of families do umm

i'm sorry to sound harsh but what if i went to a Muslim country and hired out a venue so non-Muslim people could have a day out, smoke, drink and listen to music i'd be exicuted or banged up in prison for life.

acceptance NOT segregation is what it's about !

"babylon be keep dem man down" peace

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ravehead

i'm sorry to sound harsh but what if i went to a Muslim country and hired out a venue so non-Muslim people could have a day out, smoke, drink and listen to music i'd be exicuted or banged up in prison for life.

have you ever been to a muslim country rave?

i think you'd be suprised to find that in many muslim countries, this type of activity is often the preferred way to accommodate non-muslims.

i find a day tailored to the wants and needs of the muslim community wholly acceptable if there is no religious discimination involved in the entrance policy.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

7,193 posts

Posted:
clam down colehug i was only trying to use that as a point, i know most muslim countrys are accomodating to westeners in their countrys. as long as you don't rub it in their faces their cool with you getting smashed in your compound/house. had a few mates stationed out there and they used to make hooch in their bath tubs ubblol

most countrys i've traveld to or lived in are cool about stuff but i feel when other nationalitys/faiths come to the UK they do tend to take the pee out of us DEMANDING faith schools etc.

intergration is about acceptance not segrigation and alienation which is pretty much the way things look.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
well why cant they have their churches here?
why wouldnt they demand it? seems fair enough to me. shrug

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

7,193 posts

Posted:
churches are fair play, we have jewish, catholic, presbeterian and a whole hoast of other churches but faith schools in my view segrigate people.

not long ago "black communitys" where slammed for the same reason. no one in this life should live this side or that side of a wall all be it invisible jo

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
i dont understand your point. sorry smile could you explain it in a different way. smile

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ravehead

i feel when other nationalitys/faiths come to the UK they do tend to take the pee out of us DEMANDING faith schools etc.

that comment is only valid when levelled at first generation immigrants imo.

when you get to a generation that were born and raised here 'they' are 'us' - it is then a case of british citizens 'demanding' that their religious preferences be catered for, to a level equal to the country's longer-established, majority religions shrug

i'm not personally aware of any religious faith schools being set up to cater to the demands of first generation immigrants but that may well be due to my ignorance of the issue.

i'm not well versed on the history of non-christian faith schools in this country which is a bit poor considering that i attended a CofE school for the first 6 years of my schooling.

i'm always calm rave wink hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

7,193 posts

Posted:
look at the likes of london jo, there are segregated communitys there, the muslim community, the jewish community etc. now i don't know if they choose to live in those areas or are forced to as i know a few small minded people that have remarked (i don't mean to sound racist)
" if a paki family moved in next door i'd sell my house "

pakistani's have as much right to live here as we do (assuming their not here illegally)

my point is ( and i doubt i'm good at putting that across) is essentially we are all the same, of the same blood, the same earth WHY should someone that belives in one thing and not another be forced or led to believe they are choosing to be part of one community and not part of the whole community that is humanity?

work together and achieve everything or separate, fight and achiever nothing but who wins a conflict

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
ok, again, I agree with you. smile
i think instead of seeing each other in terms of race, colour, and creed, it would be useful that we all saw ourselves as "world citizens". we're all living on the same planet.
i think, sooner or later we're going to have to pull together and sort our house out- its turning into a right mess!

Page: