Forums > Other Toys > My new fire toy idea!!!

Login/Join to Participate

havocangelmember
53 posts

Posted:
With the prospects of moving up north where it accually snows I've decided to make a fire snowboard. I figure I can take a snowboard and drill holes in each end then attach kevlar to it with anchorbolts so that it won't get caught on anything caught on the ground. Kathain hasn't said it yet, but I'm sure she thinks I'm out of my mind. She did say however before she lets me light it up:

"It has to be safe...and I'm not chasing you down a moutian."

I'll have a picuture of it up before long, and as soon as I get some snow to go on I'll get some footage of it in action!

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
that sounds wicked! if you could actually get it working id be up for joining ya! could also get some second hand boards for free if not cheap to test with...

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

SickWithWondermember
56 posts

Posted:
id be worried about a few things....

1. How the heat will affect the topcoat and core of the board....it would suck if it melted straight through

2. How the heat will affect the wax and snow.....could make you go really fast, could make you go really slow....im guessing for fast.....just something to keep in mind.

3. Not worried about this one, but it would be really cute to have a safety following you with a fireblanket down the mountain....even cuter if they held it out so it flagged out in the wind.

if it doesnt work, you could try customising a board with metal tip and tail....but thats a lot of machining to be done.

havocangelmember
53 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I thought about that myself. Most hardware stores have a flame retardent clearcoat for wood stains, that's commonly used for things like hardwood fireplace mantles and such. I think that I can put that on the top of the board to protect it from fire damage.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Flame retardent simply creates a barrier between the combustable wood and the heat source, but doesn't abate the heat at all.

The heat is more dangerous than the flame it self especially if you are locking your feet into the board. Imagine if some parts of the locks expanded mroe than other parts and you couldnt; get your feet out...no way a fireblanket will help you there, and you might lose your feet or the use of your legs entirely.

Imagine a pair of firepoi which clip onto your hands so you cannot let go, and then apply that to your feet....

The other thing to be wary of is where it may end up with fire on it? Some kid or person with a 100% nylon jacket? Maybe you come off and it slides underneath someones car, or things even worse...

The possibilities are frightening...

Is there anyway of persuading you not to pursue this...? frown

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

havocangelmember
53 posts

Posted:
Yea, I'm keeping all that in mind. My partner wouldn't let me even try it if she didn't think it was safe. I've not worked out all the details yet. I'm working on a quick release system for the feet, as well as a few other safty measures.

I'm not going to put myself or others at serious risk like that. I won't accually try it untill I've covered every angle.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"I'm working on a quick release system for the feet"

Hows about velco on the soles of your shoes and on bits of the deck? umm

d-eyeGOLD Member
60 posts

Posted:
umm what are you planning on wearing ?

LilBBoySILVER Member
Discoverer of Rainbow Cheese
143 posts

Posted:
That sounds sweet! You should take LED poi and spin them at the same time if ur doin it at nite! That's somethin I'd like to see biggrin

Time does not exist. In theory, everything with a beginning has an end. Therefore, only things with an end can have a beginning. As time has no end, it has no beginning, therefore does not exist. GO PHILOSOPHY!!!
Brittle Week was the shizz!!!

brittleGOLD Member
131 posts

Posted:
sounds a very good idea but has a lot to think about. what if you mounted the wicks on short poles like they have on fire hula-hoops??

What to do in case of fire??? LET IT BURN!

wolfbro001SILVER Member
77 posts

Posted:
hey, that ^^^^^^^^ is an excellent idea. just bend them upwards slightly so that the snow doesn't affect the wicks and you can turn easier. excellent idea.

havocangelmember
53 posts

Posted:
As far as what I'll be waring I've got some Nomex pants just in case something does happen to go wrong.

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
Just so it's official and documented, complete with witnesses:

I'm NOT chasing you.

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

422 posts

Posted:
CHARLES:
>>Is there anyway of persuading you not to pursue this...?

*sigh* I've discovered it's really best to let him attempt and figure out all the possibilities for disaster. Havoc has to prove to me it's safe beyond a shadow of a doubt before we light up. We have a loose, unspoken policy of "so long as everyone's comfortable with it, we can burn it." If either of us has even a shred of doubt in it, it won't happen.

That, and he's looking at Central New Jersey (US) for the epic move. It rarely ever snows enough for snow boarding. So, he's got to be pretty damn sure of it working and it's safety to warrant a trip up to New Hampshire or into Pennsylvannia for the winter (snow tourists are more dangerous than the leafers because of their driving, and it drives me crazy).

And, since, as aforementioned, I'm not chasing him, I'm going to have to grab a couple of my friends for that trip. So, yeah, there's a lot of planning underfoot if he does make a board.

No haste, no worries.

havocangelmember
53 posts

Posted:
Haha, You know I love you. hug You make sure everything I do no matter how crazy it is, is as safe as it can possibly be. I wouldn't be willing to try it if I didn't think, or can't engineere a way to safely get down the hill. Dispite how it may seem with my not so sane ideas, I'm quite fond of me sence I've been with me for quite a while now.

422 posts

Posted:
I know, Havoc, I know.

But you know I'm still going to rip apart all of your less sane ideas to ensure that they're safe for all parties involved, including random bystanders.... unless they're small children.... then, maybe, just maybe, I could make an exception.

It's a cross check system, and it seems to work for us.

I mean, I'm not shelling out the cash to head up to the snow areas unless I'm absolutely certain it's going to work. What can I say? I'm cheap. And I don't like heading up the snow areas in the winter when all the tourists are up there... in fact.... I hate it with a passion. So it had better work before heading up into the mountains.

havocangelmember
53 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't want to make the trip either unless it worked, so no worries.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i'm guessing that since you've got a board to experiment on that you're a pretty seasoned boarder?

if that's the case, it sounds like a feckin great idea! biggrin

i reckon its only worth adding wick to the rear of the board though.

personally, i'd use a length of rope, tracing the line of the tail and fixed about 10-15 cm above the board's surface.

a fireblanket on a piece of string attached to your trousers could easily deal with putting it out i reckon (although the guy who's videoing you could chuck a handy sized fire extinguisher in his backpack just for extra safety).

would love to see this in action in a little night time rail session (if you're lucky enough to have access to rails at night that is).

good luck and keep us informed smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

havocangelmember
53 posts

Posted:
Yea, I've got a board to work with. I've got a couple of hundred hours in on the moutian. I can't pull off some of the crazy stuff pro boarders do, biggest spin I can get is 540, but I'm capable.

Cold months are still a bit away so I've got plenty of time to work out all the details and do some testing. If I can't make it work the way I want I won't waste my time with it. Going to start out small, when and if I get things going the way I want I'll start going bigger. Maybe even eventually sneaking onto a freestyle course late one night and doing some big stuff on it.

TONDOG1999SILVER Member
3 posts

Posted:
Ok im from jackson hole, wyoming (very cold and a ski and snowboard meca) and im a ski/snowboard tech. first off it wont work in powder for obvious resons. and the only way it would ork is on the tip and tail and even then it would be iffy. Snowboards tend to conduct heat and you would not only melt the wax but the ptex as well making it so the board melts. you could use it a few times and it would be done for but get a junk rock board poor gas on it and light it on fire see what happenes i might be wrong