GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
I'll be wanting some fire poi pretty soon and i have a few questions.

With the cathedral ball chain poi, if the size can be altered why doesnt everyone just get the XL size then make them shorter? Are they good quality?

With the monkey fist poi are they worth the extra £20 in terms of quality? I dont mind paying it if they are going to last me a lot longer than the cathedral ones. Some say they are heavier but id be learning with them unlit or socks/glow poi until i get used to them.

What do you think?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Geeza

With the cathedral ball chain poi, if the size can be altered why doesnt everyone just get the XL size then make them shorter?

- Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? umm I mean, why create yourself the extra hassle of cutting the chain when you can simply buy it to the correct length to start with? umm

Are they good quality?

- Yep biggrin IMHO, everything from HOP (bar the sock poi (I hate stretchy poi but I know others who like them)) is of excellent quality.

With the monkey fist poi are they worth the extra £20 in terms of quality?

- Its not the quality that is better, its the actual ammout of kevlar used (i.e. More), and the fact that monkey fists are the brighter and last longer than tube core, and only slightly better than cathedral wicks) smile

ubbrollsmile

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
so the cathedral ones in size small it is then. tar

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
You can buy any of the wicks in any of the sizes (I think).

Not sure if I answered your question though.. confused
Or if you even had a question.. confused wink

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Come to one of the meets in your area geeza, people will let you spin fire poi if you ask (unlit might be a good idea) then you can see what they are like for yourself. If your lucky there might be a few different tyes of fire poi being brought along.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I only ever buy my fire poi from HoP as I know they're top notch equipment. They're worth every penny. I buy mine a medium size and trim the ball chain to size (about 5 or six ball-links suits me) which is pretty hard to do, if you're a woman with delicate hands anyway!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
I would like to present https://www.salza.se
as one of the best fireequpment stores on our globe. Im not saying this cos they are my sponsors but because ive tried so many different models and shops and salza.se has it all.

And i recomend 5 wicked monkefists with a cahin that not a ballchain or wire so you will have some stability in the chain. The ballchain is to flexible!

Good luck!

https://www.salza.se

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
is kr kuruny? and 5 wicked monkeyfist? im just starting out with fire!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"is kr kuruny?"

No, its Kronenbourg. The unit of curreny in Sweden. smile

And when he said 5 wicked monkey fist, suprisingly, he doesnt mean 5 monkey fist wicks, but actually means one wick with the monkey fiss made from 5 wraps of rope instead of the usual three. Go have a look in the HOP shop and you will see what I mean.

EdwinGOLD Member
2 posts

Posted:
I'm also going to buy firepoi's, but when i looked on the HOP-online-shop, I couldn't figure out wich one (is what).

What is (the difference between) ;

- a (Cathedral /) chain ball / twisted oval link firepoi ?
Difference in use and quality (or anything else) ?

What is the difference in flames from a monkeyfist of a tube ?

havocangelmember
53 posts

Posted:
Dube makes a really good fire poi. Dube I generally recommend fire poi with ball chain for beginners especially sence each link in the chain spins freely. This ensures that your cord doesn't get twisted.