BrokenLeavesSILVER Member
48 posts

Posted:
Why when I got to do a 4 beat weave....on the extra circle do my poi stop going split time and go same time...?

Im copying the vidio exactly....
I've jsut sat and read every 4 and 5 beat thread i can find...
and im sure im doing what it is telling me to do....

so why the not split timeness....

any ideas?
sorry for talking about something that has been talked about over and over yet again
im confused..

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
because your brain is not powerful enough yet!!

really though it is, try doing reverse weave first (for me anyway) with right hand under under left, left hand over right. then try left hand under right, right hand over left. I still cant do it! same goes for forward weave

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
What he means is twist your wrists up around each other, then pull them onto the other side of your body.

RHS - Right Hand Side

LH - Left Hand

RH - Right Hand

BACKWARDS

ie: when poi on RHS with wrists together, LH pointing down and forwards, RH pointing up and backwards - drag arms across - (now on LHS) unwind wrists, rewind wrists the other way (this time with RH pointing down and forwards, and LH pointing up and backwards) - drag arms back across body to RHS - repeat.

bounce

or something like that.

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
^ thatll have cooked his brain, if it didnt then it did mine!

48 posts

Posted:
Pull them onto the other side of your body whilst they are twisted?

I think im untageling them on the same side...
maybe thats it..

??

now how to put that into practice :-S haha

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
So you wernt copying the video exactly were you? wink hug2 ubblol

48 posts

Posted:
Im sure i was....although I had already figured I wasn't as it was going wrong...

:-S...I'm even more confused now then i ever was..haha

The video is confusing anyway...

I also figured i need to keepone hand still somewhere
ouch my poor poor confuzzled head

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Try crossing further up your arms and really moving it to the other side (quicker than it feels it should).

Also it helps you you are pointing your fingers (where you hold the poi) away from each other (180 degrees apart).

I assume you are talking about the 5 beat weave forwards yes?

Hmmm..

try this instead:

FORWARDS

when poi on RHS with wrists together, RH on top, thumb pointing down and forwards, LH on bottom, thumb pointing up and backwards - drag arms across - (now on LHS) unwind wrists, rewind wrists the other way (this time with LH on top, thumb pointing down and forwards, and RH on bottom, thumb pointing up and backwards) - drag arms back across body to RHS - repeat.

I may have been describing how to do a backwards 5 beat earlier.. which.. um.. is probably.. um.. why its not working at the moment redface

buggleberry_fairySILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
ye i did that loads, and then usually it ends up tangling so i got annoyed. i dont really know how i got out of it - i think i just forced my hand to drag the one poi faster than the other when they started to meet up. also you have to force your hand to move the poi to the other side of your body

when the poi are just about to tangle this is the point in which your brain goes 'NO' and you drag your poi over

like geeza said, its brain power...but you'll get it eventually - try beating 3 weeks!

"Be the change you want to see in the world"

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
when your hands wrap up, use the outside arm to pull the tangle across, and then unwind it.

For example, if you tangle your wrists on the left hand side, your right arm should pull the lot across, with your left hand staying steady (the poi will complete the circle itself), and then unwind & wrap up again on the right.

it takes a while to get it neat, just keep plugging away at it.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ditto

and drag harder and faster than you think you need to smile

wolfbro001SILVER Member
77 posts

Posted:
I've got the forwards 5 beat, but can't get the reverse. i understand how it works in my head, and can go through the motions with my hands, but can't \seem to put it into practice... maybe it's because I'm a staff twirler confused thanks for making this thread Broken Leaves. I'm sure it'll help if i read through it all again wink

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
oooh, reverse 5 beat. nasty stuff. I'm in the video on the lesson, but i still can't quite get the thing going backwards smoothly.

YOu know how you have to pull your hands across fairly fast when doing the 5 beat?

Pull them across even faster with the reverse. And i wore a helmet when i learnt, but that was because i didn't have practice poi then, and tube cores hurt a lot.

(if anyone else wants to know the theory):

doing reverse three beat...

Right hand is leading poi to left hand side, underneath left hand.

left hand follows across

hands change positions, left is about to cross back over.

At this point, you need to let the poi in your left hand continue spinning on your left side, with your left wrist going over the top of your right wrist.

your right wrist then drags the whole lot over, where it unwinds and does the same thing but backward.

Does that help people?

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
With the rev 5bt, I put my wrist the other way round to make the stretch easier.

Instead of having the tops of my wrists touched together, when going backwards I put the bottom of the outside wrist round the other & pull that across, cause I can't stretch the other way. Takes some getting used to cause you have to turn your hand round without affecting the beat, but it's a lot easier than trying to stretch. (I'm now trying to sort it out both ways fwd & backwards cause it'll help transitions)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
btw.. you can do a 5 beat with all possible permutatons of where your wrists touch.
RH - Right Hand
LH - Left Hand
B - Back of hand
F - Front of hand (the side your palm is on)

i.e:
RHB touching LHB
RHB touching LHF
RHF touching LHB
RHF touching LHF
(I think thats right..)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
that's very true jonny.

and where you're spinng the extra beats in relation to the orientation of your body makes a big difference to which is the best way to arrange your wrists...

e.g. spinning 5bt weave at your right hip in wallpane, its best to go with RHF touching LHB from the rear plane to the front plane (and LHF touching RHB when going from the front plane to the rear plane).

for yer standard 5bt in the wheel plane, rhb touching lhb (and vice versa) are the most agreeable wrist positions.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

48 posts

Posted:
Well I have succeded in getting it to go forwards....
Now its just a case of learning it in reverse...
thank you for all your replys