GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Whilst practicing holding my sock poi i tried a few different ways, knots, through the middle 2 fingers etc. Through the fingers made it annoy and cause very small blisters/rubbing after an hour or so and knots rubbed aswell and were crap to to some wraps with.
I tried winding around different fingers and after a while found this way, it doesnt rub and feels very secure. Try it anyway and see what you think.

Do as in pictures

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

finally tuck the end through and next to the little finger

Non-Https Image Link

pitmanSILVER Member
addict
544 posts

Posted:
nice hands u should model rings lol my poi are to short for that i have to just put up with the rubbing till i get some new ones

DONT DO DRUGS THERE BAD FOR YOU.
SO GIVE THEM ALL TO ME AND I WILL GET RID OF THEM FOR YOU!

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
thanks! i have (unfortunatley) inherited my dads sausage fingers!

those socks off this site were only about £6.50 delivered

fathomzSILVER Member
1 post

Posted:
yeah, i am a first timer all together and chose the jailhouse as my first. probably a mistake cuz my practice pair (polyester/lycra?)stretchy socks + tennis balls have hit me in the crotch and head a few times lol.

anyhow i decided on the same exact grip as pictured!!! i might have to use some socks balled up for practice first until i learn to swing! biggrin

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
Everyone has their own way of holding socks. Personally when I actually used my stretchies I didn't like this kind of hold as I felt is restricted my ability to change holds mid spin, which I do a lot for different moves.

Knots are your friend, you just have to do them right. For these kinds of socks you don't want a knot out in the middle, you want the end to be knotted. It may take a few tried to learn to tie it right but basically you want to tie 3 knots, one over the other, in the end. I DON'T mean sequentially. I mean literally OVER (around, covering) each other so you get one fat knot. 3 was the way I did it, if you have bigger hands tie 4.

Once you have your knot, hold your hand out palm up. Pick your favorite 2 fingers and rest the knot at the spot where the fingers join your hand (right on the webbing). close fingers together. Now as you spin you can wrap, unwrap, change fingers etc whenever you want without worrying about throwing the poi.

Just another option for ya

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
I tie a knot at the end, and then hold them in between two fingers - then I'll wrap them around my hands once or twice.

Feels like normal poi, and it's pretty simple.

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
If you can find little plastic Easter eggs (not the huge ones, but the regular sized ones) you can close those around the knot and tape it shut for a much more comfortable handle, and you can add any additional weight that you may desire. I guess you could use anything; those little round cages with the bells in that cats like might work too...

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

0nimember
59 posts

Posted:
i am pretty small, with short arms and small hands
i made my sock poi by hand, out of some old stockings that ended up stretching quite a bit

i made a handle with three knots: two of them are next to each other with a little space in between for my finger to fit, and the third is to tie down the tail to the rest of the sock.
then i hold it with the loop around my middle finger and the knots on the outside by my knuckles. it stops the grip from slipping, and there is plenty of room left to wrap and such...

Non-Https Image Link

DEAD FREEDOM
if you've forgotten how to scream, then scream here and live here

MisTeRSkiTTleZstranger
2 posts

Posted:
hey you thinnk you could repost the knot pictuer new and can't figure out to hold them right

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Sorry MisTeRSkiTTleZ. The pics are 3 years old, i dont have the pics anymore (or the poi i had) I grip now but holing over open palm then then accross inbetween thumb and index finger then pinch with index and thumb. Then dp=oing spiral let the poi slip one finger down, between index and middle finger

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: GeezaSorry MisTeRSkiTTleZ. The pics are 3 years old, i dont have the pics anymore (or the poi i had) I grip now but holing over open palm then then accross inbetween thumb and index finger then pinch with index and thumb. Then dp=oing spiral let the poi slip one finger down, between index and middle finger I do the same, except for the spiral wraps. I find having weighted handles makes it a LOT easier to grip.

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"