Page:
FIRE_SPINNERBRONZE Member
87 posts

Posted:
is hunting wrong or right?

First off, i am a hunter using both, firearms and bows.
i beleave it is ok if it does not impact on the enviroment in a negative.

What are your thoughts on this topic

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Dont get me started on fox hunting, there are some people who wont be happy until England looses all of its national indentity. The BNP has hi-jacked the Union Jack, we celebrate allmost nothing about our past, the one ecception being Guy Falks Night which is on the decline, we should celebrate it as it was a day that our monarchy, an institution that dates back over ten centurys was saved. Fox hunting is one of the few things we have left, and thats taken a blow.

What are the english known for now? Being crap in bed, thats just about it.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
no Joe, thats just what you are known for wink hug

Whats the difference between control hunting animals, and control hunting humans? umm
Why not kill back the population in places where overcrowding and famine is high? umm

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
I read a book about hunting people once. Atrocity week, i think it was called. They'd cruise out in planes and hunt africans.

Very gruesome.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UmbiliciformCraterOnFace

Whats the difference between control hunting animals, and control hunting humans? umm
Why not kill back the population in places where overcrowding and famine is high? umm

because that's the difference between 'killing an animal' and 'murder'.

i know some pople consider those the same things but i most certainly do not.

killing your own species, especially when that species has evolved to the level of self awareness that humans have, is not on imo.

i eat whatever i kill by hunting.

but i would never hunt and eat a human being.

equally, i would never apply animal control measures to people.

animal population control is usually required because of the effect human population and settlements have had on boosting said animal's population in the first place.

foxes in the uk are a perfect example.

if you don't see this angle, ask yourself, what was the fox's natural predator, what happened to it and where does the fox fit into the food chain nowdays.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Hunting, wrong, barbaric, and i'll happily hunt you down if you kill animals for fun.

There's no excuses for it, no reason beyond selfishness and if i was on a hunt with any of you, i'd shoot you in the ass biggrin

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UmbiliciformCraterOnFace

no Joe, thats just what you are known for wink hug

What, like forced abortions in China?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TheWibbler

Hunting, wrong, barbaric, and i'll happily hunt you down if you kill animals for fun.

come here and say that bitch wink

i personally, don't kill animals for fun.

if one is under the impression that the killing of an animal is the 'fun' bit of hunting, you are either seriously misinformed or are intentionally talking crap.

i admit that spending time with the people i hunt with is fun and the environment that we hunt in is not something i can find anywhere else.

watching gun dogs work also happens to be one of my favourite things to do.

but i don't get excited when something dies.

the killing part of hunting is not the thrill.

the kill may be the major part of the challenge but the idea that anyone involved in hunting thinks that 'death of animal = pleasure for human' is frankly laughable.

i think this is important to point out as that seems to be a popular view amongst the anti-hunt proponents.

i have believed for a long time that this 'progression of outrage' would occur:

step one, ban fox hunting (done), then attempt to end shooting, next fishing, then horse and dog racing and eventually, the keeping of animals as pets.

just to ensure i get flamed, consider this statement:

casual hunting to supplement your diet is simply the omnivore equivalent of cultivating herb gardens and allotments wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
I'm all for hunting if its done with the right intent.

I've been hunting many times with friends, I even helped to kill the pheasants we had for christmas dinner last year and it was great. I absolutely loved it.

And it was soooooooo not the fact that i took enjoyment in the takin of a life,
the fun part was being able to track your food from start to finish, knowing exactly where it came from, and the sense of pride you get for knowing you've provided for yourself.

And I'd much rather lose a few hours of my day and kill and eat something that i know has been free, then spend £5 in Tesco's or wherever, on a plastic packed chicken.

Although i do buy meat from the supermarket, I would MUCH rather kill it myself.

My friend is a vegetarian, because he doesn't like the way animals get farmed for killing. He does however hunt rabbits, and he if he kills them-he eats them.

I think he's great! biggrin

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
Aside from animals, there is a sense of satisfaction in hunting and killing your own plants.

The idea of a ranch where you get to find and kill your own chicken is not far removed from the gardens where people pay for the opportunity to pick their own berries... something that is relatively popular where I live.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Patriarch917

Aside from animals, there is a sense of satisfaction in hunting and killing your own plants.

The idea of a ranch where you get to find and kill your own chicken is not far removed from the gardens where people pay for the opportunity to pick their own berries... something that is relatively popular where I live.

I pick my own berries cause it's cheaper by the pint and because I like to be outside (well, and now I grow my own so there is no one left to pick them). Picking berries doesn't kill the plant and in many cases it helps them.
Yer silly Patriarch! ubbloco

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Hey Cole, i was just talking crap, but i would happily hunt someone who kills for fun. Killing for function is something else entirely, i have no problem with it.

I tend to not feel comfortable eating things that i couldn't kill myself. For example, i couldn't kill a cow, they are beautiful animals, and real big, must be horid to kill one.

I have no issue with 1 man hunting 1 animal in a fair contest.

I do however have big issues when 30 men on horses with 100 dogs try to catch 1 fox. The fox would still get away, except the hunters go round first and block up all the fox holes. This to me is barbaric, these are the types of people that i would like to hunt. Before i did so i'd like to mame them a little just to make sure i win. perhaps remove their feet so i don't have to run too fast to catch them. Then i'd get me and 50 friends, on motorbikes, with guns and dogs and i'd chase them across fields until they pretty much gave up, then let the dogs rip them to shreds.

Ooo talking of huntsmen, does anyone else remember when some pro-hunting people put a pitch fork thru a horses neck, killing it, then left it in brighton along with 2 other dead animals. Yummy, what a lovely bunch of people.

m

ps i wouldn't actually hunt a person down, i was being sarcastic.

Also coleman, if the thrill is not in the killing, then why kill it? Why not hunt it, catch it, let it go? Like many fishermen do.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
matt, the fox hunts i saw were nothing like the one you described.

making those kind of broad generalisations (that are based on assumption?) and tarring people with the same brush as violent nutcases is not constructive man.

just because you have a direct experience of one bad hunt, it is not okay to assume that all hunts operated in the same way and were just as guilty of poor, inhumane practices.

fair enough, i get that you don't agree with hunting in general, but trying to make out that all hunts were run by barbaric, evil animal-hating toffs with nothing better to do than cause suffering to a fox is ridiculous imo.

attempting to make out that huntsmen/pro-hunt people are also verging on psychopathic is disappointing:

Written by: TheWibbler

Ooo talking of huntsmen, does anyone else remember when some pro-hunting people put a pitch fork thru a horses neck, killing it, then left it in brighton along with 2 other dead animals. Yummy, what a lovely bunch of people.

please man, we can all play that game:

remember when a bunch of 'animal rights activists' released a bunch of bloodhounds and killed their puppies?

or how about the 'saboteurs' that, even after the hunt ban came into effect, wearing balaclavas, dragged a hunt master and whipper-in off their horses and beat the sh!t out of them with bits of timber?

bottom line, there are violent idiots within every movement - the anti-hunt idiots are no better or worse than the pro-hunt idiots.

again, prejudice against a group of people based on levelling the worst behaviour at the whole group is useless to rational debate.

to answer your question about not killing what you are hunting, i did say earlier: i eat everything i hunt.

i think fishing is possibly in for a the hardest time of all the fieldsports when it gets its turn at having the anti-everything activists attention.

competition angling is based purely on hooking fish by their mouths, dragging them out of the water and then putting them back in as often as is possible.

i would have thought that that kind of treatment (or 'torment' if you prefer) of an animal is considered worse than hunting and killing for the purposes of pest control, population control or food?

i'm totally for the the animal welfare bill - however, i trust that they can bring it into being without resorting to using the parliament act backdoor that the hunt ban was forced through...

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Hey cole, i haven't read any of this thread, i'm just messing with ya.

Hunting for food i don't mind, that's just nature doing its thing, pest control, well, pest is very subjective, there's an arguement to say that the biggest pests are the huntsmen themselves.

Written by:

bottom line, there are violent idiots within every movement - the anti-hunt idiots are no better or worse than the pro-hunt idiots.

Totally agree with that.

I was in brighton at the time and it really was very weird. It swung everyone i know against the people who did it. But who knows if they were for or against hunting??? They were nut cases, did it on camera and were in police custody very soon after.

TO be honest i think the whole hunting thing is blown way out of proportion. Coincidence that it blew up at the same time as the iraq war, i don't think so. I think it's used by the government to obfiscate the genocide they are commiting. But that's another story.

Bad coleman for getting me to use hop when i'm drunk *spank*

smile

Personally, i think killing an animal and murder are the same thing. It just happens that we grew up in a predominantly christian environment where 'animals don't go to heaven' and we are some how superior. I disagree, but whatever floats your boat man.

I don't really mind either way, i just prefer to shoot avatars on a playstation and eat vegetables

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
wow.. youre drunk and have made total sence with perfect grammar and spelling. eek

Some people cant even do that sober.. rolleyes ubblol

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i wish i were drunk! hug

"Personally, i think killing an animal and murder are the same thing."

if there is no difference between a human killing a human and a human killing an animal, then surely there is no difference between a human killing an animal and an animal killing an animal?

which begs the question, should all predators that kill more than they can eat (e.g. foxes) or that will kill to protect their territory (e.g. gorillas) be condemned as murderers?

or is murder just part of the natural order...?

in which case, why do we think its such a bad thing?

smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
"if there is no difference between a human killing a human and a human killing an animal, then surely there is no difference between a human killing an animal and an animal killing an animal?" coleman, that's a damn good arguement.

Theres not a lot of difference, you're a preditor, i'm not, that's just he way it is. Nothing wrong with it.

ucof lol smile now im sobre i can't fink of anything else to say on the matter, must be time to crack the wine open wink

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
mmmmm hunting is fine because eventually we will over populate the earth to the point that thousands of humans die and we will return to an equalibrium. its only natural.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

liamcircus_boymember
33 posts

Posted:
 Written by: maus

I'm all for hunting if its done with the right intent.

He does however hunt rabbits, and he if he kills them-he eats them.

I think he's great! biggrin

i think this is more than acceptable. its when people are killing and not eating it because its only for fun when it is totaly wrong. like fox hunting for example.
apart from a couple of things like pigeons and rats,ive eaten everything ive killed and enjoyed it.
liam

FIRE_SPINNERBRONZE Member
87 posts

Posted:
fox hunting in australia for fun is completely acceptable.
1. they are not native
2. they are killing off native wildlife

And besides we homo sapiens are as natural on this earth as the next species and we are a part of the thing we call the "food chain". We do have many sophistocated gizmo's to help sucess rates but i think some may not be taking into account the animals natural defences.

That is not to say i agree with poaching. If hunting is not monitored it can wipe out species. However in australia there is no native big game, however once captive deer have escaped from farms and become wild. Yet they are regulated in hunting.

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
This is interesting stuff!

I think it all depends on context. Most huntsmen I know from round the SW England went fox hunting more for a love of riding horses across open country. many of them also get blind drunk before going on a hunt, frriend of mine who's been with them a few times said they had no hope of ever catching a fox as they're all blotted by the time they mount up.

I think killing for food is ok, pest control also so long as it's in moderation and not just an excuse... delicate balances within ecosystems deserve respect.

I have great respect for those of you who fish, hunt rabbits or keep your own chickens to kill and eat. I want my own free range chickens one day because I hate to even think about the kind of life most chickens from supermarkets must have had (I buy organic, free range happy chickens, but still). I think it's ok to kill to eat, but you should always respect your food!

I heard a while back they were thinking about doing a badger cull over here again... this concerns me and I never know what to make of it, I'm not sure but i've seen some research about badgers giving cattle TB and others who say there is no proof of this. confused

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

sagetreeGOLD Member
organic creation
246 posts

Posted:
my personal feeling is that killing for food was okay when it was for survival. i don't believe that meat is needed these days for survival or even a heathly diet. we can easily survive without meat and the only reason most people still eat it is because they like the way it taste.

when your consciousness is aware that animals want to live and don't like to be tortured or killed then i can't see why (besides ingnorance) people would support the violence and inhuman treatment of animals just because they taste good. i know this does not apply to all people eating meat but killing is killing and it's not necessary.

anyways i think meat is just a medium for cooking and most of it doesn't really have that much flavor. vegetable protein works just as well and to me taste better because i don't have to worry about bad karma. if you don't believe me then i think you should try my vegetarian chili. /rant

little off topic sorry

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:
fox hunters that get blind drunk before hunting

but dont you use a gun for fox hunting and im sure that is almost suicide or pratical murder handling a gun whilst drunk

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
forget the gun - trying to handle a pack of hounds while drunk would be an impossibility.

and yes, i think it is a category a offence to "Supply a firearm to a drunk person" but not sure what the law says about handling one if its your own (as far as i can tell).

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Page: