AgnosticfaithhealerBRONZE Member
4 posts

Posted:
About a month and a half ago, I started to play with the off axis grips on my staff. To begin with I was just learning how to do basic nunchaku style moves (behind the shoulder). I soon realized that there is a whole plethora (love that word) of moves associated with off axis spins... probably as many as there are spinning it on the center of gravity. I can now do double nunchuck spins, backward nunchucks, continual behind the backs, and double behind the backs... I realize that text descriptions of these moves is kinda pointless, but I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of these, or seen videos, or can actually do these moves? I've never seen anything related to these, and every spinner I've ever showed them to looks at me like i have two heads (in a good way). I'll try and get some vids in the next few days... might take a bit tho, cuz I have second degree burns on my right leg and I can't really walk...

PEACE!

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
do you mean with a staff? if so then my friends also try a bit of it as they do martial arts. i'd love to see a video if you could find one!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

afghan_bingoSILVER Member
116 posts

Posted:
i had a raz with some nunchuku's a while ago and since have learnt the basic over teh shoulder stuff, and fom that you can get a bit of sword stuff in there as well.. although it looks like you just went mental and started wldly swinging a fiery stick about!!

we were somewhere near barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Cool!!!

I think i call this a quarter point grip...

its also very useful if your doing contact and you need to place the center poing somewhere in partucular.

have you tried throwing with an off center grip?

Love is the law.

Chronofracture333Hobo Gaylord
329 posts

Posted:
Bruce Lee style! WATAAH! biggrin

Do you do these horizontally as well? It's a good way to pass the staff behind your neck or torso.

smile

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

"Oooh, what a shiny new move!"

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
When playing vertically, you can do figure of eight with an off-center grip, trying to keep your hand still, getting a different sized circular trail from the long and short end.

or you can try and isolate the staff on a point along it's length. I haven't decided if this looks dorky or not.

doing one beats and going around your back vertically is also fun with a 3/4 grip.

I can't remember what we decided to call fake contact but non-poindexters, but you can do that too.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
you can do a four spin isolation with it and then your arm breaks. That point is also the key for doing turnovers.

try to balance that point on the back of your wrist. then lift and turn your hand to that your fingers are facing towards you and the staff is still balanced to the back of your hand. and lift back out.

Viva UGLY STAFF

4 posts

Posted:
Yeah, tossing it onto your neck, up under your opposite arm, whatever is WAY easier to do from a quarter grip... except im not sure if i'm down with that name... the best balance point in my experience isn't actually at the 1/4 point... its more like 3/4 of the way to the halfway point. That wasn't very clear... k, if this exclamation point (!) is the centre, the grips would be here *---|-!-|---* (stars are the fiery bits). Doing figure eights off axis is fun, but im unsure if they look cool (i'm the only person I've met that does this off axis stuff, so its kinda hard to see from the centre of the fireball yah know? The off axis pinwheel is sweet (i think you called it a vertical behind the back). I've tried a little bit of throwing off axis, and multi-rotation throws are bloody hard. 180s look sweet as add ons to your flow tho... I kinda uses them the same as finger rolls.. just to show off yah know? I'll hopefully be able to post a vid of me doing some of the more advanced stuff soon, but it won't be for at least a week. You gotta be able to walk to dance eh?

Peace, love, and dead puppies

4 posts

Posted:
OH yeah, PS - props on the philip k dick quote, and if you haven't already, check out the trailer for "A scanner Darkly"... im excited.

Chronofracture333Hobo Gaylord
329 posts

Posted:
Me too, it's one of my favourite books. And I'm glad the've gone down the route of animation, some of the scenarios and headstates described in the book are just too real for film.

smile

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

"Oooh, what a shiny new move!"