Page:
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
This article was sent to me.

https://www.observer.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,887200,00.html

It's really funny. But when you think about it, Denny's already caters to stoners. 24 hour junk food, low-key lighting, trippy bright decor, selling little toys and stuff...

They're not stupid. They know their market.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
You know all those "trends" that the majority of this board avoid are all carefully thought out marketing theams.

Hehe, pot smokers are trendy!

How funny, you do something to be outside of the norm and all of a sudden you are no different from the prep, the jock, the geek, and that annoying chick in chick in English who says "Like" after every other word.

Hehe, Brittney Spears and N'Sync wannabes.

I am sorry I find this so ammusing.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Most people I know who smoke pot don't really do so to be in or out of a given circle, but they chose to do so because they enjoy the high. Just like the people I know who drink choose to do so because they like the buzz.

-Mike

2,905 posts

Posted:
That might be true now, but when they started, it was to fit in. To join a trend. Now they are stuck in that trend due to addiction.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
(takes off his moderators cap)

Raymund, I agree COMPLETELY!!!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
oh 'stoner bashing time'

Ray... Charles...

Do tell me...
How often do you smoke cannabis?
Who do you smoke with?
Also if you could please elaborate how it all happened that one sunday afternoon when you decided to start judging people based not fact but on complete assumptions of every 'cannabis' smokers habit, behavior, personality, judgement, intelligence, etc...

I dont really understand why it is nessecary to pass unessecary judgement.

Have you ever stopped to think that maybe someone was just curious?

Have you guys ever smoked a cigarette or even ( ) a joint?
If so elaborate why YOU did it.
Was is peer pressure or was it simply 'to fit in.'

Its very easy to pass judgement on others. Very easy indeed and passing it onto thousands of people a day is even easier; masses dont have a face.
Wait! Oooppps! I am a stoner... so does that mean that by default I have no brain, personality and do it all just to 'fit in.'

WTF
drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
curiosity is certainly what lead to all the experimenting I have done with drugs.

conciousness expansion anyone?

If the doors of perception were cleansed, all things would appear as they are, infinite. William Blake

P.S. this is where the title for aldous huxleys book on mescaline came from, as well as the name of that most brilliant band.

Strange days and even stranger times we live in when drugs are still considered evil and have so many stereotypes attached to them yet can be a marketable comodity?

WTF.........?

Trying to play the Akashic records,
but my turntables not compatible.

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
does the mean you dont get WTF?!

what the f@#$K!

or were you merely repeating WTF

...could you clarify before me gets confoozled!

oh and YES! I will join you on that...

conciousness expansion indeed!

much love,
drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

Fire_Emanatormember
96 posts

Posted:
Careful with Ray, he's a marine, and he is likely to have a word with his boss and bomb yo ass...and he does not smoke pot, the USMC smoke people, not pot...

Free your mind and your ass will follow!

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
careful with me!

You dont even know who or what I work for

Have you ever seen the invisible people?

NO!

Doh! They arent visible...

*on knees hoping and praying that one day it will all be clear*

drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
My WTF was in agreeance with your WTF, in regard to some ppl thinking that ppl who do drugs are off the planet, not me though, i'm just flying through space in time

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Raymund:
That might be true now, but when they started, it was to fit in. To join a trend. Now they are stuck in that trend due to addiction.
I might say the same about alcohol.

And, Ray, if I'm a marijuana addict for smoking it once in a while, that must make you a drunk for drinking once in a while, then.

Not all marijuana smokers are addicts.

-Mike

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
Oh and getting back on topic does the fact that i've smoked pot mean that the local lighting store should start stocking black lights and lightning balls? Or perhaps nintendo could bring out a version of duck where a hippy dude/dudette at the bottom of the screen has to throw flowers at incoming nukes to neutralise them, to gain my and ther smoke dopers business?

2,905 posts

Posted:
Lets see... Never smoked pot or done illeagle drugs. Tried a ciggeret, I still dont see the point of wasting $4.00 on something that you can go through in half a day. Did it make me fit in, nope. Did I do it out of curiosity, yep. Drinking, I have never done it to fit in seen as how most of the times that I have drank was when I was sitting in my room playing on the computer.

Are you an addict because you have tried things a few times? No. Are you an addict because you do something just for the buzz or the high? Yes.

Is something always done to fit into a certain crowd? No.

If your body was supposed to have these chemicals in it, do you not think that your body would produce them naturally?

If you were meant to breath smoke, then why can you die from smoke inhailation?

Bash on the Government, bash on the military, but the second anyone says anything about drugs HOLD THE FUCKING PHONE!!! HOW DARE YOU SAY ANYTHING NEGITIVE ABOUT MY POT!

Closed minded twits the lot of you.

You want to expand your mind, read a book!

If you want to see pretty colours, buy a calidascope!

If you want a high, do something that pumps up your adreniline.

If you really want to kill yourself, think again. Everything passes, the hard times and the good times, they all pass.

You do not need drugs TO DO ANYTHING!

UCOF (emergency)member
129 posts

Posted:
quoted by raymond:
quote:
Are you an addict because you have tried things a few times? No. Are you an addict because you do something just for the buzz or the high? Yes.

no, no and no again! you are an addict if you cannot get through the day without your drug of choice. the websters dictionary states the word addict as:
1 : to devote or surrender (oneself) to something habitually or obsessively
2 : to cause addiction to a substance in

and addiction as:
1 : the quality or state of being addicted
2 : compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance (as heroin, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal; broadly : persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful

i smoke weed....i am not an addict tho...i can go for ages without having a joint. it really pisses me off how people can judge others on something that they themself have never done. the high or a heart pumping activity, the colours of a caleidoscope, the mind expandingosicty of a book are nothing compared to weed. (even though i dont think my mind has been expanded when high, i never see pretty patterns, and the high of weed is totally different to the natural high of adrenaline!)

originally posted again my raymond:
quote:
If your body was supposed to have these chemicals in it, do you not think that your body would produce them naturally?

so does this mean that medicines are a bad thing....based on the statement you gave...this means that all medicines are evil and we should all be ill...as the last time i checked, my body doesnt produce monosoduim maxohyperglutomateamol s3 naturally... just a 'thought'

[ 04. February 2003, 23:06: Message edited by: UCOF (emergency) ]

erm...this is only a temp account until i get home and get the password to my usual account...sorry (itsa still the same flipping wierdo though)

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
true you don't need drugs to do anything..

But we all have our own different perspectives on life - as long as I don't hurt anyone except myself - I don't worry about it..

each to thier own - viva la diferance..

Some people can take pot smoking too far as they can with everthing else - but everything is circular and ebbs and flows you will find that people who do smoke too much will change - I've had many vices and excess in my time - but now I've been to where they have taken me and I can look back at a well traveled path.. and I have knowledge and experience to help myself lead my life..

People choose their own path in life.. there are many walks of life -that is what makes us special.

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi Raymund, I suspect you will think this is b/s, but hey, lets keep an open mind because one of the great mysteries of life is why people seek stimulation through drugs (legal or ilicit).

Part 1. Actually, Ray that's not far from the truth. What happens when our body doesn't produce enough of, let's say seratonin, is that we seek it. So, it's not surprising that the reason a large percentage of the population are prescribed SSRIs, like prozac, paxil (pactil?) etc. is because not enough is produced naturally. The cause is probably due to a combination of genetics and diet.

Self-medication gets talked about a bit here because a lot of people have to learn how to how to cope with some deliberating problems like anxiety, depression, ADD, ADHD etc. To their credit, many have realized that pot doesn't help the situation and have moved on.

If you want a high, do something that pumps up your adrenaline.

Right, that’s wot happens. It's been shown, scientifically, that the brains of " thrill seekers" produce lower levels of brain chemicals like dopamine. That’s why these people are driven to seek "thrills" through skydiving, white water rafting, racing motor bikes etc. It stimulates dopamine production to "normal" levels. Ha, the brain is addicted to dopamine. Or in extreme examples, perhaps meth amphetamine or in not so extreme examples, the treatment of ADD/ADHA with amphetamines like dex or ritalin. The problem is organic in nature.

Part 2. One thing that mysteries me, is that apparently our brains have the exact receptors for the chemicals in pot, already there waiting. So, I suppose you could say that pot smokers are just filling in the gap.

Closed minded twits the lot of you

Hey, don't pull down the shutters yet, Captain America. I think the people at HOP show tolerance to everyone. I know you are probably under a lot of stress at present, but tolerance will only go so far, if you start lashing out. Suggest talking about the real issues, K.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

2,905 posts

Posted:
MisStix, you see... the body isnt supposed to get sick. Medicine fights deseases (man I cant spell that word) that shouldnt be in our body to begin with. A lot of the time it isnt a chemical that gets injected. If is either a form of bacteria or a weekend form of a virus.

Stone, if there is a chemcial that the normal body produces naturally and say yours didnt, then there is need for that chemical to be put into your body atificially. That is a positive thing. It is not a recreational chemical.

So if people have moved on, where do they move on to? Stronger drugs? True some quit, some move up the drug chain.

Like I said before, a recreational use of drugs is not something the body needs. If you need a chemical because you body doesnt produce enough, then you can get it through medications, not illeagle substances.

Your body doesnt need pot to function, well some people need it, but originally when you are first born you dont need it. Heck you dont need it the second before you die so why you think you need it between those two points in life I dont know.

First things first, I dont wear my underwear outside of my clothes! Secondly, if you think drugs are the only way to go, the only way to fly, then you are closed minded. Your mind is closed to the possibility of a life without that hit.

Please tell me what are the real issues? The fact that pot is a gateway drug, ohh true YOU may not do anything but pot and might just escape with not doing anything else but quite a few dont. If your lucky thats great, but what about the rest of the people? Maybe the real issue of babies being born and suffering from withdraws because their mother was addicted to crack and their child is born addicted? What about the men and women who sell themselves to feed their addiction? Maybe the very real issue that from the first time you get high your body begins to build a tolerance to the drug, you then need more and more to get the same effect, thus you start to spend more and more money. Thats less money in your pocket, more in someone elses.... so sue me I am a Capitalist!

jim bombadilmember
142 posts

Posted:
Bombing the middle east and burning herbs, the two main thing that people seem to get het up about here. Burning leaves and inhalling the smoke, yeah, a bit of a funny evolutionary step but I guess you can't have fire without smoke and fires taken us pretty far aswell (in a much wierder direction than anything induced in inner space by THC). Lots of life forms offer other life forms gifts to form a relationship tobacco and ganja offer humans something and in return humans cultivate them. Tobacco is a little more snidey about how it does this but the poor old pot plant has been so inbred now I wonder if it knows whats going on!! Personally I think taking drugs is bloody great I've had some lovly times with all sorts of things. Cheers plant life nice chating to you!!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Let me try this then....

I like sex.
Sex is not essential for my suvival.
I can and have gone a long time without sex.
However I like to have sex as much as I fancy cause it nice. How can someone who's never had sex tell me that it's wrong.

Maybe sex is a gateway thing cause maybe if I do enough sex I'll get sick of sex and move onto some harder more depraved kind of stuff.(nice )
I don't understand someone who doesn't even want to try sex once to see what it's like to tell me it's bad though.

Replace the word sex with weed and that's what I'm trying to say.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Let me try this then....

I like ice-cream.
Ice-Cream is not essential for my suvival.
I can and have gone a long time without Ice-Cream.
However I like to have Ice-Cream as much as I fancy cause it nice.

Maybe Ice-Cream is a gateway thing cause maybe if I do enough Ice-Cream I'll get sick of Ice-Cream and move onto some harder more depraved kind of stuff.(nice )
I don't understand someone who doesn't even want to try Ice- Cream once to see what it's like to tell me it's bad though.

Replace the word Ice-Cream with weed and that's what I'm trying to say.

[ 06. February 2003, 01:27: Message edited by: DeepSoulSheep ]

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Woo!HCH No 2
216 posts

Posted:
quote:
What happens when our body doesn't produce enough of, let's say seratonin, is that we seek it
Bananas also contain alot of serotonin (5-HT)....
Mmmmm, bananas make you happy.

One could say that the mind altered state one recieves from the ingestion of banana makes you addicted.....

*Runs off for some coffee and a banana*

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
"The body is not supposed to get sick....."

I don't know of any animal on earth taht doesns't get sick ray. even turtles get sick.

but your right, you don't need drugs for anything. taht does include medicine, wether you want it to or not. on teh other hand (see: antibiotics, anesthisia) they can be useful sometimes. (see: painkillers, sleeping pills, anti-itch creams, cough syrup, nasal decongestant...)

there are always going to be people who abuse everything. abuse =! use

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

2,905 posts

Posted:
Ice Cream (for those of you who dont know Malcolm has asked us to use Ice Cream as another way of talking about the act of reproduction.) and weed are two very different things. Those two topics dont really mix good as analogies, as ice cream is not a negitive thing, it is not outlawed, it does not have any negitive side effects, however some deaseses (one of these days I will look that word up) can be transmitted through ice cream.

The human body is not supposed to get sick, does it? Yes

If the human body was supposed to get sick then it wouldnt have an immune system. It wouldnt have white blood cells nor T cells.

People still do abuse things, you are right there.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Raymund:

You do not need drugs TO DO ANYTHING!

Ray, why do you drink? Don't tell me it's just for the taste.

An addiction is medically defined as a compulsive behavior associated with a feeling of reward which is repeated even though it causes harm to the individual engaging in that behavior. Addictions are commonly associated with a decreased sense of reward with successive repetitions of the behavior. That's why I get high as a kite on the rare occasion that I do smoke pot. Because they're like two months or so apart. And that's why the person who wakes up every day and takes a hit and then another hit, and basically smokes all day every day doesn't really get high.

To lable anyone who uses marijuana on a regular basis (even if that regular basis is bimonthly) as an addict makes as much sense as labeling you as an alcoholic.

Do you need recreational drugs to do anything? Nope. Of course not. Amen to that.

-Mike

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Ray twas actually Pele who suggested that ussage of the word.

Shows how much you pay attention!

Wait but your not a stoner!

*loudspeaker comes on*
Attention
Ahem... ATTENTION! talking about the habit of cannabis smoking might also make non-users exhibit symptoms similar to those experienced by the 'addicts.'

Meby that will shut Ray up...

wait...
darn!
he fights to death yeah yeah yeah I forgot about that...

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Incidentally, the reason that the human brain has receptors for THC, morphine, nicotine, and others isn't because the body evolved receptors for the plants, but because the plants evolved molecules that bind to the receptors.

Mushrooms of the genus psilocybe came up with an evolutionarily ingenious solution to the problem of being eaten by animals. Rather than being poisonous, they condition an avoidance response in animals that eat them by scaring the hell out of them. This is because psilocin, the activated form of psilocybin, is very similar to serotonin.

Marijuana and tobacco both evolved chemicals that interact with animal nervous systems as a way to keep themselves from being eaten by insects. THC is quite toxic to insects in pretty small amounts. I've seen what happens to a flask of fruit flies when marijuana smoke is introduced...they all wind up on the bottom of the flask. Many never move again. The same is true with tobacco smoke. THC mimics a chemical made by the brain called enandamine and nicotine activates a specific type of acetylcholine receptor called the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor.

Opium may have evolved as a reward. If you can convince an animal to eat your seed pods and then crap them out somewhere else, that's adaptive because your seeds get spread for free and as an added bonus, they get deposited in a pile of fertilizer. That's why apples are sweet, too. That's the apple tree trying to get you to drag its fruit somewhere and leave the core.

A competing theory about opium is that it also is an insecticide. It turns out that the digestive tracts of many animals, including insects, have opiate receptors. These receptors decrease gut movement and can cause a small organism like an insect to die of malnutrition for lack of absorption.

Either way, morphine binds to the mu opioid receptor, but the actual chemical made by the brain for this receptor is called endorphin.

Cocaine took an interesting track. Rather than making a chemical that binds to a neurotransmitter receptor, it made a chemical that interferes with the removal of the neurotransmitter dopamine from the synapse. Thus, it acts just as if you added dopamine to the nervous system. It's also probably an insecticide because the other thing it does is that in high enough concentrations, it keeps neurons from firing at all by interfering with their electrical conduction.

Of course, humans have messed with the evolution of all of these plants by selecting for stronger and stronger strains such that the modern opium poppy has an insane amount of morphine in it and modern marijuana is three to five times as potent as it was 30 years ago.

-Mike

2,905 posts

Posted:
Haha, I didnt know that Dromepixie. Bah, just becuase I get Pele and Malcolm mixed up... it doesnt mean that... ohh never mind if I say anything else I will just be digging my grave deeper for when Pele sees this!

Cool facts Mike.

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
Yeah cool facts mike

I think it's spelt disease's

The chemical receptor in the human brain that THC (the active constituant in cannabis) attaches to is called (anandamide - sanscript for eternal bliss) and from memory it doesn't hook up with anything else so that evolutionary theory on pot could be a bit iffy.

One question Ray, do you think it is worse if someone who has cancer and takes anti-cancer drugs finds that the best way to overcome the nausea induced by them is to smoke pot, or would you prefer them to take a synthetic appetite stimulant that they found didn't work as well?

2,905 posts

Posted:
I knew that someone would bring that up. There is a difference between smoking pot to get high and using it as a medication. I do believe that when you take it as a medication that it isnt smoked. I dont know how it is taken maybe Mike can tell us.

I personally could care less if you take it because of cancer, but if you smoke pot just because you wanna be cool, or you think it will take you to another plane of existance then I have 0 respect for you. I would also bet my next years paycheck that the majority of people who use pot dont have cancer, that dont have any form of disease. (your right that does look like how the word is spelled)

Is there another way that those people can overcome their nausia? There could be, it may have yet to be found but there could be.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Interesting thoughts there Lighting Mike. So, plants evolved molecules that bind to the receptors in animals, that makes sense. Clever plants, seems to have worked for cannabis, and would explain why it is now grown all around the world

Nicotine was used as an insecticide at one time, but I think it was found to be toxic to humans. Though, they didn't ban cigarettes did they; economics. Don't know about marijuana being three to five times as potent as it was 30 years ago. That's debatable. Suspect some people would consider the traditional C. sativa strains better than anything around these days. The newer strains aren't inbreds, as jim suggested, they're hybrids (C. sativus x C. Indicus) and tend to put people to sleep.

It is also interesting to note that these new "so-called" potent strains were a direct result of the US Government. When the US government sprayed out the Mexican crops, a few years ago now, they pushed growing underground and started the hydroponics revolution. People crossed C. Indicus (short season/hash type) with C. sativa (long season/trippy type) so they could grow them inside, which resulted in a boom in illicit cultivation. Thanks Uncle Sam

Another example, of Governments compounding the drug problem was when the Thai Government got tough on opium. Traditionally, old Thai villagers would have a pipe at night to ease the aches and pains of old age. Trouble was, opium pipes are conspicuous compared to a hypodermic, and all the Government ended doing was turning the Thai villagers into heroin addicts, which helped spread AIDS.

Ray I certainly don't think drugs are the only way to go, and if you anyone needs a hit or a drink to get through they day, then that certainly indicates a problem. There are many great things in life, and I don’t advocate drug use per se. I think people should make their own decisions in theses matters, and I don't agree with double standard. Things are "banned" for many reasons, but it's usually economic. They reckon hemp was banned because it was seen as a competitor to DuPont plastics. As a fiber, hemp is a lot more environmental friendly to grow than cotton, but the cotton industry sees it as a competitor, and suppresses the cultivation of low THC strains.

There is also a huge difference b/t pot and crack cocaine, but you seem to put them in the one basket, when it suits your argument. As far as "gateway drugs" go, why does everyone point the finger at pot? Surely, the acceptance and promotion of alcohol, by western societies, is the precursor for all addictions. Seems like every where you go someone is trying to shove a drink in your hand, but hey, alcohol's legal, so that's OK. As a society, I think we have a huge problem with drugs of all kinds, but I don't think suppression is the answer. It just seems to compound the problem.

I certainly don't think that your suggestion to band all drugs that give you a buzz would work. That would mean banning tea, coffee and chocolate. And, wot about the poor o'l gym junkie, would society be any better if we cut their fix of endorphins

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Page: