Forums > Social Chat > Poi people! How do you know???

Login/Join to Participate

Diciple_Of_AresBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
How do/did you know when you're ready for your first burn???

i have wanted to burn for a while now, but everyone keeps telling me im not ready!

how did you know when you were ready to burn?

"if there are no stupid questions, what do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask a question?"

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
I had been spinning for a while and felt really natural with most moves. My first burn was on a beach and I did it close enough to the water so I could run in just in case.
If you think you're ready, go for it. Just try the moves you feel really comfortable with. Have water or blanket nearby and someone who knows the stuff. Good luck!

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

drofkcahSILVER Member
80 posts

Posted:
well for my 1st burn we had a friend come over with his fire staff and fire poi, he simply gave em to me!! only know the 2 beat and butterfly and they were pretty scetchy!! but being with friends it was okay!

I am a sig virus place me in you sig so that i can continue to replicate

Rgds Drofkcah

FathomSILVER Member
103 posts

Posted:
I didn't burn till I could do a routine w/o mistakes. But I'm paranoid and didn't have med insurance.

Kangaroo Island eh? I hear that place is really hopping!

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
Just to note, it's not really a good idea to throw water on poi, cause paraffin is oil & spreads rather than going out

drofkcahSILVER Member
80 posts

Posted:
if ya do go for a burn, be with friends who also do fire, they will be a big help!

I am a sig virus place me in you sig so that i can continue to replicate

Rgds Drofkcah

19 posts

Posted:
the problem is... i cant find ANYONE here that isnt 50 miles away that spins fire! im all alone!!!! *cries*

"if there are no stupid questions, what do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask a question?"

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
First of all check up on safety, have someone on hand that you trust (does not have to be a spinner) as your safety person to tell you if you do catch a light and make sure they have something to smother the fire with in the case you do (not to say you will)

Click here for some safety tips

That being said, as long as you can do your moves well and you feel comfortable with them, go ahead. I recommend you dont try ANYTHING you havent practiced much yet or are still a little dodgy with. And when you do, enjoy it. The first time is the most awesome wink

Oh yeah, just found this too smile

Am I ready to spin fire?
EDITED_BY: JonnyRok (1151170187)

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

19 posts

Posted:
ive been talking to my mom about my first burn, and once i get my medical insurance i should be able to go for it with her as my safety

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Oh come on, fire spinnig isnt that dangerouse that you need health insurence, the whole idea of poi is too keep them moving so theres little chance of you catching fire (unless you wear synthetic clothes) because the heads dont stay still.

I waited 4 months, I picked up a pair that wasnt lit, had a little practise and I never hit myself or got tangled so I knew I could do it while they where lit. But I wouldnt do it under 3 months at the very least.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

19 posts

Posted:
the thing is, im ready now... but my mom is my safety and the only way she'll let me spin is if i have insurance. my BF wants her to be my safety first (before i teach him to be) because he feels it's important to my mom (which it is).... im more waiting to make my mother feel better.

TabtI Doubt, Therefore I Might Be
1,007 posts

Posted:
thats sweet.

if you make it such a big deal it becomes one as you are quite nervous.

i have only done a few burns but i am lucky as i have been around people who spin with fire regularly.

one thing that came as a surprise when i had my first burn was the noise.

if you are worried then just do simple moves to familliarise yourself with the experience. stick with weave!

I hope it goes well! and i hope you have fun doing it!

hug hug

Owner of Dragosani's right side.

19 posts

Posted:
thanx! im getting better... i finally figured out the 3b wave when i got hime from work today. i didnt think i would be able to, but i did... im pretty comfortable with a lot of moves. so far i have the butterfly, btb butterfly, angel wings, windmill, 3b & 3b waves, and a few other things down... ive been spinning for about 4 months, so i think im ready to burn...